Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2021 CX-5 transmission failed and was replaced by dealer

• 2023 CX-5 transmission failed and was replaced by dealer

• 2024 CX-5 transmission failed and was replaced by dealer

• Total voters
I think the gear ratios are closer 5 to 6 than between the other gears which may be some of what you are noticing as the engine does not have to change as many rpms.

My wife said our 2014 CX-5 GT was stuck in 1st gear yesterday. Wouldn't upshift. She looked & it was in Drive. Luckily she was 2 miles away on a 35 mph road so she drive it home really slow. Has about 33K miles. I drove it around today & couldn't duplicate the problem. Parked it to check the fluid level. No dipstick! Looked in the manual & no mention of a dipstick. If it's there it's very well hidden. Will call the dealer tomorrow & get their advice.

My wife said our 2014 CX-5 GT was stuck in 1st gear yesterday. Wouldn't upshift. She looked & it was in Drive. Luckily she was 2 miles away on a 35 mph road so she drive it home really slow. Has about 33K miles. I drove it around today & couldn't duplicate the problem. Parked it to check the fluid level. No dipstick! Looked in the manual & no mention of a dipstick. If it's there it's very well hidden. Will call the dealer tomorrow & get their advice.

AT dipstick is straight down between coolant hose and air cleaner. This thread has more info.

The drive train went into "limp home mode" for some reason. There will be an error code the dealer can read off the ecu that will indicate the malfunction. Get it to service sooner than later as these codes will not hang around forever. And don't bother to check the trans fluid. That's not what's causing the problem. Likely as not it's an electronic glitch of some sort.

I want to ask if your dealer get a loaner car when they replace your CX-5 transmission? My dealer told me they don't have loaner car for me and I have to ask for Mazda for the rental car reimbursement myself, but the phone# never go through...

Poll: My CX-5 transmission failed and was replaced

I want to ask if your dealer get a loaner car when they replace your CX-5 transmission? My dealer told me they don't have loaner car for me and I have to ask for Mazda for the rental car reimbursement myself, but the phone# never go through...
Sorry to hear the transmission in your 2016 CX-5 failed. What was the symptom of your transmission? Delayed shift? Yes your Mazda dealer should provide you a free loaner car for inconvenience getting the reimbursement from Mazda. Your dealer simply provided very poor customer service and you can only contact Customer Experience Center Mazda North American Operations seeking help on this. My personal experience on wait time is not too bad and make sure you call during their business hours.

Yesterday, when I was leaving to get lunch, the car's transmission did it again. After going from reverse to Drive, it paused and jerked forward a bit. Sigh. This is already the 2nd transmission after the 1st one was replaced at 15k miles. It hasn't happened for the rest of the day and I'm hoping that was just the hill hold feature getting confused. Anyway, if it gives me problems again, I'll either be patient enough to get the transmission replaced again or I'll trade it in. Is anyone having similar transmission issues with a 2017 CX-5? I don't see much data for 2017 models yet on the TrueDelta website.

Wow! Just realized that, while 19% of the respondents here report transmission failures (a total of 11 vehicles) on a thread that's almost 1.5 years old, over 10k have viewed this thread in that period of time. This seems to indicate that one helluva lot of folks looked at the thread and didn't bother to respond because they have no issues with their 6ATs!

Wow! Just realized that, while 19% of the respondents here report transmission failures (a total of 11 vehicles) on a thread that's almost 1.5 years old, over 10k have viewed this thread in that period of time. This seems to indicate that one helluva lot of folks looked at the thread and didn't bother to respond because they have no issues with their 6ATs!

It's interesting how the issue is limited to the 2015 and 2016 CX-5's

Lots of 2013, 2014's and 2016.5's on this forum, but very few of them report transmission problems.

My 2016 just crossed over 30k the other day. I purchased it as a demo model with 5700 miles at the end of May last year. I drive a lot and haven't noticed a single issue with my transmission. I'm no stranger to Sport mode and or manually shifting, so it's seen its share of harder use. I also commute into a major city and there's been days where there is a fair amount of idling and stop and go while everyone in front of me can't handle merge points...

Hopefully it stays problem free, so far I'm confident the drivetrain in my CX 5 should handle the task. It doesn't use oil like my 2012 Impreza did so that's a plus, and every aspect of the Mazda is far better.

2015 CX-5 owner here, 2.5 FWD. At 93,000KM and 3.5 years of ownership I started noticing a whining sound that increased volume with speed. Sounded almost like a dentist drill at low rpm.

Took it in to the dealer and was informed they will put in a new transmission under warranty.

So as of the last couple months my 2016 has been staying in gears longer then it should and has also clunked into gear a few times after putting it into drive. Should I be concerned?

So as of the last couple months my 2016 has been staying in gears longer then it should and has also clunked into gear a few times after putting it into drive. Should I be concerned?

Yeah, you might want to have some one check out the clunking. Clunking is never a good sign, or sound.

Back