Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CX5_Pete View Post
    My sample just got in.
    So it looks like the factory fill is probably Mazda Oil with Moly. TBN shows that I could have stretched it out a lot longer. So for those with brand new CX-5's, stretching out the OCI to 7.5K miles should be no problem. I am going to shoot for 8K mi OCI and will report back.
    The factory-fill UOA of a 2015 Mazda 3i Sport from here indicates the same thing - molybdenum content is very high at 608 and factory-fill is probably Mazda Oil with moly.

I'd suggest you to reset your maintenance monitor on oil change to flexible OCI ASAP so that you can stretch to 8K miles as you intend to without any oil related warranty issues. Our OLM, oil life monitor, indicates 60% of oil life left with 4,800 miles driven after the first oil change with almost 100% city driving.

CX5_Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    The factory-fill UOA of a 2015 Mazda 3i Sport from here indicates the same thing - molybdenum content is very high at 608 and factory-fill is probably Mazda Oil with moly.

I'd suggest you to reset your maintenance monitor on oil change to flexible OCI ASAP so that you can stretch to 8K miles as you intend to without any oil related warranty issues. Our OLM, oil life monitor, indicates 60% of oil life left with 4,800 miles driven after the first oil change with almost 100% city driving.
    I have a Sport with a basic radio, will I be able to switch the OCI to flexible?

Nevermind, I called my dealer and they said it can be changed.
    Last edited by CX5_Pete; 04-28-2016 at 11:36 AM.

I have a Sport with a basic radio, will I be able to switch the OCI to flexible?
    Nevermind, I called my dealer and they said it can be changed.
    So without Maintenance Monitor app which is displayed on the infotainment screen, the dealer have to set it up for you? Then how do you reset it whenever you change your oil by yourself?

CX5_Pete
    So without Maintenance Monitor app which is displayed on the infotainment screen, the dealer have to set it up for you? Then how do you reset it whenever you change your oil by yourself?
    I will bring it in this weekend and see how they do it. The sport model with manual is so rare they might not realize that I don't have the fancy display.

I just reread your post, I just push the trip button, turn on ignition and wait like 5 seconds and release.

Founder

Blog Entries
    Excellent Thread...Stickied as requested, thanks for the heads up, CX5_Pete!

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    Here is Ed's oil report. I am posting it for him.

Did the oil change over the weekend for the CX-5. Used 0w20 Penzzoil Platinum available at WM at $23 for 5 quarts. Good to see the lab report indicate a 8k mile recommendation. I wonder why there's no TBN reading on the report though.

CX5_Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Did the oil change over the weekend for the CX-5. Used 0w20 Penzzoil Platinum available at WM at $23 for 5 quarts. Good to see the lab report indicate a 8k mile recommendation. I wonder why there's no TBN reading on the report though.
    With BlackStone, the TBN is not included in the regular oil analysis.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

With BlackStone, the TBN is not included in the regular oil analysis.
    Oh I see it, extra $10 or so.

2013 Mazda CX-5 GT

I recently performed an oil change at 30k miles. I always use Mazda Moly and Mazda filter @ 5k mile intervals. The CX5 regularly sees 30 mile round trip to work over mostly highway. When driving to work, I lock in the cruise control at 60 mph, get off the highway for a short stint at 45 mph with two stop lights then back on the highway at 60 - 65 mph and cruise control (depending on traffic). Work is just off the highway with a short country back road to the site. I'm not sure why the fuel was so high (2.8%) since the sample was taken hot/warm and my trips are all highway (very rarely take my car around town, we generally use my wife's car for short trips).

oil-report-082016.jpg
    Last edited by Triton46; 08-30-2016 at 06:37 AM.

Registered Member

CX5

Hello all,

Here is my 2nd UOA. This is with Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 with 200ml Liqui Moly MoS2. Almost 8K mi OCI. Still breaking in it seems.
    Nice to compare the factory fill to Mobil 1. Really shows the difference in additive packages between the two. TBN proves that even with Mobil 1, 10K mi OCI can easily be done, especially in fair weather climates. Next OCI will be 10K mi+

CX5 UOA.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by CX5_Pete2 View Post
    Here is my 2nd UOA.
    Are you CX5_Pete previously? If you're, please fix or repost your first UOA report from factory fill as the link is broken for a while.

Appreciate your UOA report!

Registered Member

CX5

Are you CX5_Pete previously? If you're, please fix or repost your first UOA report from factory fill as the link is broken for a while.

Appreciate your UOA report!
    No prob!

You can see the resuts of my first UOA in the attachment alongside the recent one.

Yes I am the same person.

My old pics were linked to my old Imgur account. Unfortunately my email got hacked into awhile back and a lot of associated accounts were affected, including Imgur and Paypal. Had to do a lot of damage control. Coincidentally, within that month there were warnings from multiple forums I frequent to reset passwords and such due to a security breech.

Edit: Also see here for my factory fill UOA at BITOG
    Last edited by CX5_Pete2; 09-08-2016 at 06:39 PM.

Arrow

Yes I am the same person.
    My old pics were linked to my old Imgur account. Unfortunately my email got hacked into awhile back and a lot of associated accounts were affected, including Imgur and Paypal. Had to do a lot of damage control. Coincidentally, within that month there were warnings from multiple forums I frequent to reset passwords and such due to a security breech.
    Oh, what happened to you is unfortunate! Hopefully everything has been sorted out!

No wonder we haven't seen you posting here for a while! And thanks for the re-posting!

You can see the resuts of my first UOA in the attachment alongside the recent one.
    So Mazda moly oil says:

"Includes high levels of MOLYBDENUM (Moly) which reduces wear, especially at low temperatures where the anti wear agents are inactive"

It's pretty much true on "high levels of molybdenum" as the first UOA showed 700 on molybdenum and the second UOA showed only 305 even though you added 200ml Liqui Moly MoS2.

Registered Member

CX5

I did some reading over the weekend on oils after seeing Mobil 1's new 20K or 1 year OCI capable oil at Walmart the other day (it costs almost $50 for 5 qts!), and I came across this:

https://www.oronite.com/products/lspi.asp

It talks about the effects of Low Speed PreIgnition (LSPI) and the type of oil being used.

In short, for our high compression DI engines, it's best to go with a high quality synthetic oil with high molybdenum (MoS2) content that also uses a detergent low in calcium (Ca).

(If this information has been mentioned before, I apologize.)

The Mazda 0W20 with Moly vs the Mobil 1 & 200ml MoS2 shows that the Mazda Moly has high MoS2 content, but has almost double the Ca content of Mobil 1. Makes question whether or not the Mazda w/ Moly is best for our engines?

I will continue to experiment with Mobil 1 or Pennzoil with the addition of Liqui Moly MoS2.
    Last edited by CX5_Pete2; 03-05-2017 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Error in analyzing UOA

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast