SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

Here is my 2nd UOA.
Are you CX5_Pete previously? If you're, please fix or repost your first UOA report from factory fill as the link is broken for a while.

Appreciate your UOA report!

Are you CX5_Pete previously? If you're, please fix or repost your first UOA report from factory fill as the link is broken for a while.

Appreciate your UOA report!
No prob!

You can see the resuts of my first UOA in the attachment alongside the recent one.

Yes I am the same person.

My old pics were linked to my old Imgur account. Unfortunately my email got hacked into awhile back and a lot of associated accounts were affected, including Imgur and Paypal. Had to do a lot of damage control. Coincidentally, within that month there were warnings from multiple forums I frequent to reset passwords and such due to a security breech.

Edit: Also see here for my factory fill UOA at BITOG

Last edited:
Yes I am the same person.
My old pics were linked to my old Imgur account. Unfortunately my email got hacked into awhile back and a lot of associated accounts were affected, including Imgur and Paypal. Had to do a lot of damage control. Coincidentally, within that month there were warnings from multiple forums I frequent to reset passwords and such due to a security breech.
Oh, what happened to you is unfortunate! Hopefully everything has been sorted out!

No wonder we haven't seen you posting here for a while! And thanks for the re-posting! :)

You can see the resuts of my first UOA in the attachment alongside the recent one.
So Mazda moly oil says:

"Includes high levels of MOLYBDENUM (Moly) which reduces wear, especially at low temperatures where the anti wear agents are inactive"

It's pretty much true on "high levels of molybdenum" as the first UOA showed 700 on molybdenum and the second UOA showed only 305 even though you added 200ml Liqui Moly MoS2.

I did some reading over the weekend on oils after seeing Mobil 1's new 20K or 1 year OCI capable oil at Walmart the other day (it costs almost $50 for 5 qts!), and I came across this:

https://www.oronite.com/products/lspi.asp

It talks about the effects of Low Speed PreIgnition (LSPI) and the type of oil being used.

In short, for our high compression DI engines, it's best to go with a high quality synthetic oil with high molybdenum (MoS2) content that also uses a detergent low in calcium (Ca).

(If this information has been mentioned before, I apologize.)

The Mazda 0W20 with Moly vs the Mobil 1 & 200ml MoS2 shows that the Mazda Moly has high MoS2 content, but has almost double the Ca content of Mobil 1. Makes question whether or not the Mazda w/ Moly is best for our engines?

I will continue to experiment with Mobil 1 or Pennzoil with the addition of Liqui Moly MoS2.

Last edited:
I did some reading over the weekend on oils after seeing Mobil 1's new 20K or 1 year OCI capable oil at Walmart the other day (it costs almost $50 for 5 qts!), and I came across this:

It talks about the effects of Low Speed PreIgnition (LSPI) and the type of oil being used.

In short, for our high compression DI engines, it's best to go with a high quality synthetic oil with high molybdenum (MoS2) content that also uses a detergent low in calcium (Ca).

The Mazda 0W20 with Moly vs the Mobil 1 & 200ml MoS2 shows that the Mazda Moly has high MoS2 content, but has almost double the Ca content of Mobil 1. Makes question whether or not the Mazda w/ Moly is best for our engines?

I will continue to experiment with Mobil 1 or Pennzoil with the addition of Liqui Moly MoS2.
Yeah Low Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI) indeed has been brought up in this oil dilution thread before but we don't mind you keep doing your experiment and reporting the result back: :)

2.5L Oil level fluctuation

My wife's CX-5 is seeing lots of short trips, and indeed the oil level goes up. Used oil analysis shows fuel dilution, as expected.
Reading about this I came across the condition that is called Low Speed Pre-Ignition, LSPI. Evidently, this only affects DI engines and is much more detrimental then regular pre-ignition that causes pinging. LSPI can't be detected by the knock sensor, so OEMs are dealing with it by dumping fuel under conditions that MAY cause LSPI, making it impossible to happen. Hence, most of the DI engines have fuel dilution problem, the fuel just burns off during long drives in fully warmed-up engine. No such luck for us short-trippers...
The hole keeps getting deeper and more stuff keeps coming out about this.. Click on the lubrication tab on this link and see what it says about moly oils

Been wanting to post this for awhile, this seems the perfect time and place to do so: Here's my vote for Pennzoil Platinum 0w20

Moly:
I'm using Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 based on research others did on BITOG forums and other sources. To get straight to the point it uses tri-nuclear Moly which is superior to old school moly. Lower content of tri-nuclear Moly could be used as a substitute of higher amounts of old school moly.

Base Stock:
The base stock of PP 0w20 is from natural gas making it a synthetic. I'm assuming its a group 4 oil. Research of Mazda w/moly suggest its base stock may be a really good Group 3 oil. Plus PP's base stock should have less impurities than other group 4 oils.

Cleaners/Additives:
PP has cleaners and detergents which has caught the attention of long time Mobil1 user turned converts implying the PP 0w20 made their engines sound quieter after some time. Since PP's parent company is Shell and I primarily use Shell I figure hey, I'm using oil and gas both with additives made by the same company.

NOACK:
Folks posted 10.1% which is well below 13% for Dexos max limits. Seen other post 8.9%.

Last edited:
Been wanting to post this for awhile, this seems the perfect time and place to do so: Here's my vote for Pennzoil Platinum 0w20

Moly:
I'm using Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 based on research others did on BITOG forums and other sources. To get straight to the point it uses tri-nuclear Moly which is superior to old school moly. Lower content of tri-nuclear Moly could be used as a substitute of higher amounts of old school moly.

Base Stock:
The base stock of PP 0w20 is from natural gas making it a synthetic. I'm assuming its a group 4 oil. Research of Mazda w/moly suggest its base stock may be a really good Group 3 oil. Plus PP's base stock should have less impurities than other group 4 oils.

Cleaners/Additives:
PP has cleaners and detergents which has caught the attention of long time Mobil1 user turned converts implying the PP 0w20 made their engines sound quieter after some time. Since PP's parent company is Shell and I primarily use Shell I figure hey, I'm using oil and gas both with additives made by the same company.

NOACK:
Folks posted 10.1% which is well below 13% for Dexos max limits. Seen other post 8.9%.
I'm a big fan of PP. Haved used it quite a bit and it seems to wear the best, that is getting the best oil mileage out of it. Also have used the Mazda Moly quite a bit, but there' not much out there about additive packages other than being loaded with moly.

Has anybody done a UOA using amsoil 0w-20? I use amsoil in my wife's wrangler and my Shelby gt500. I just bought a 2017 cx5 and debating what to put in after break in miles are completed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anybody done a UOA using amsoil 0w-20? I use amsoil in my wife's wrangler and my Shelby gt500. I just bought a 2017 cx5 and debating what to put in after break in miles are completed.
Keep your moly-rich factory filled oil as long as you can! Make sure to use Mazda recommended "Flexible" maintenance schedule for oil change!

I had this done before I knew I was trading in my 14 for a 17. Hopefully the 17 engine is as solid as my 14 was over the 75k miles I had it.

8Ln53Sl.jpg

I had this done before I knew I was trading in my 14 for a 17. Hopefully the 17 engine is as solid as my 14 was over the 75k miles I had it.

Image Snipped

Wow, nice UOA! What oil and filter was this if you don't mind me asking? Clearly not MMO judging from the Moly number.

Regular Castrol 0w20 with a Mazda filter. I get the oil changes done at the dealer and they use Castrol.

Thanks for that.

My dealer had also switched from using Mazda Moly to Castrol.

Had wondered if the Castrol worked as well. So far I have had no complaints, and it looks like you are getting some good reports. Makes me feel better :)

Hey everyone! First post here, though I have checked in and read a few threads on occasion. I've been on BITOG for a long time now but never had a need to do a UOA. With the purchase of my second CX-5 (First one was a '14 GT) and the OLM option that was given on the '16.5 model year, I decided it was the perfect opportunity. Based on my driving it seems optimistic. I've never had it get below 50%. Seems to me that the cold weather we experience here definitely is a cause for fuel dilution in the winter. I've got about 1k miles left on this OCI and I suspect to see similar results as UOA #2. I'll be dropping down to 1 year or 8k miles on the next two OCI and see if that improves the dilution results. Let me know if you have any questions!

0 - 1,169 - Factory Fill
1,169 - 10,120 - Mag1 0w20
10,120 - 19,949 - Mobil Super Syn 0w20
19,949 - 30,031 - Mobil 1 EP 0w20
30,031 - Present - SynPower 0w20

YsVe9eg.png

Last edited:

0 - 1,169 - Factory Fill
1,169 - 10,120 - Mag1 0w20
10,120 - 19,949 - Mobil Super Syn 0w20
19,949 - 30,031 - Mobil 1 EP 0w20
30,031 - Present - SynPower 0w20

YsVe9eg.png
So we can safely assume Mobil Super Syn 0w20 is the worst among oils youd used preventing fuel dilution ⋯

Thanks for posting!

Back