SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

It'll be very interesting to see how much the molybdenum content is from your oil analysis. And it'd be nice to know if the factory oil is indeed the Mazda moly oil or something else. Keep us posted. :)

I'm curious about report on factory fill as well.

I asked how to input oil reports in the lounge section and received many answers. However; I was unable to succeed in posting my Blackstone results. Until I have time to mess with this OR we have a reasonable CUT & PASTE option, I fear my analysis will be missing. Sorry about that. Ed

Ed,

See if this screen recording of posting pics here on this site helps. I did it kinda fast so let me know if you want to clarify what I am doing. I did this on Safari for the Mac but should be basically the same in all OS and browsers.

Try playing video I posted here:

https://goo.gl/photos/B3irRUJgMF59zj8w6

EDIT: I am assuming you already have a scan of the Blackstone report or are you trying to upload the PDF that Blackstone sent you. If PDF you will have to upload as an attachment. Let me know latter and we can refine further to get that linked up. You should still be able to upload the PDF using this video. Getting it in the message will be slightly different.

All else fails, maybe he could email one of us his report and we can post it here for him.

Awesome! Thanks for doing that!

Looks like the Pennzoil Platinum has more Moly in it than Mobil 1 AFE according to gner's UOA sample (post #19). Living in Florida, the CX-5 probably doesn't have to deal with below freezing temperatures and extreme cold starts, so I would assume less wear?

Some questions:
1) What is your driving style Ed (ie, city vs hwy %)?

2) Have you always used Pennzoil Platinum? If not, what were you using before?

Last edited:
This was the third oil change. FF at 3,000 miles then 6K and this one at 12,000. Always used PP in 0w20. I do ~ 80% suburban and I am an easy driver. I have another analysis coming up in ~ 1,000 miles for a 24,000 mile check. Ed

So how expensive for used oil analysis by Blackstone?

For me, including postage and a TBN, about 40$. The TBN adds $10. However, I won't be using it for all my tests, just the first few changes to get a baseline. Black stone has a kit that includes 6 tests for a discounted price.

Glad to see the report on the Pennzoil Platinum. Just did an oil change and that's what I put in to replace the Mobile 1. At $24 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart it's a bargain.

My sample just got in.

About my location and driving habits:
- I don't really experience temperatures below freezing (typical So Cal weather)
- I always allow my CX-5 to warm up till the RPM settles (I timed it once and it was about 22 seconds)
- About 60/40 Hwy/City. Hardly any short trips. I work in construction and bounce between jobs alot so sometimes the commute is all open highway, sometimes its all highway but with 30 miles of stop and go traffic all the way home.
- Driving style: on a scale of 1-10 (10 being really aggressive) I rate myself a 6.
- Lastly, only 4 tanks since ownership was filled with 91 octane gas, the rest with 87.

My first sample:
62I8oJb.jpg

So it looks like the factory fill is probably Mazda Oil with Moly. TBN shows that I could have stretched it out a lot longer. So for those with brand new CX-5's, stretching out the OCI to 7.5K miles should be no problem. I am going to shoot for 8K mi OCI and will report back.

My sample just got in.
So it looks like the factory fill is probably Mazda Oil with Moly. TBN shows that I could have stretched it out a lot longer. So for those with brand new CX-5's, stretching out the OCI to 7.5K miles should be no problem. I am going to shoot for 8K mi OCI and will report back.
The factory-fill UOA of a 2015 Mazda 3i Sport from here indicates the same thing - molybdenum content is very high at 608 and factory-fill is probably Mazda Oil with moly.

I'd suggest you to reset your maintenance monitor on oil change to flexible OCI ASAP so that you can stretch to 8K miles as you intend to without any oil related warranty issues. Our OLM, oil life monitor, indicates 60% of oil life left with 4,800 miles driven after the first oil change with almost 100% city driving.

The factory-fill UOA of a 2015 Mazda 3i Sport from here indicates the same thing - molybdenum content is very high at 608 and factory-fill is probably Mazda Oil with moly.

I'd suggest you to reset your maintenance monitor on oil change to flexible OCI ASAP so that you can stretch to 8K miles as you intend to without any oil related warranty issues. Our OLM, oil life monitor, indicates 60% of oil life left with 4,800 miles driven after the first oil change with almost 100% city driving.

I have a Sport with a basic radio, will I be able to switch the OCI to flexible?

Nevermind, I called my dealer and they said it can be changed.

Last edited:
I have a Sport with a basic radio, will I be able to switch the OCI to flexible?
Nevermind, I called my dealer and they said it can be changed.
So without Maintenance Monitor app which is displayed on the infotainment screen, the dealer have to set it up for you? Then how do you reset it whenever you change your oil by yourself?

So without Maintenance Monitor app which is displayed on the infotainment screen, the dealer have to set it up for you? Then how do you reset it whenever you change your oil by yourself?

I will bring it in this weekend and see how they do it. The sport model with manual is so rare they might not realize that I don't have the fancy display.

I just reread your post, I just push the trip button, turn on ignition and wait like 5 seconds and release.

Here is Ed's oil report. I am posting it for him.

DSCN00831.jpg

Did the oil change over the weekend for the CX-5. Used 0w20 Penzzoil Platinum available at WM at $23 for 5 quarts. Good to see the lab report indicate a 8k mile recommendation. I wonder why there's no TBN reading on the report though.

Did the oil change over the weekend for the CX-5. Used 0w20 Penzzoil Platinum available at WM at $23 for 5 quarts. Good to see the lab report indicate a 8k mile recommendation. I wonder why there's no TBN reading on the report though.

With BlackStone, the TBN is not included in the regular oil analysis.

I recently performed an oil change at 30k miles. I always use Mazda Moly and Mazda filter @ 5k mile intervals. The CX5 regularly sees 30 mile round trip to work over mostly highway. When driving to work, I lock in the cruise control at 60 mph, get off the highway for a short stint at 45 mph with two stop lights then back on the highway at 60 - 65 mph and cruise control (depending on traffic). Work is just off the highway with a short country back road to the site. I'm not sure why the fuel was so high (2.8%) since the sample was taken hot/warm and my trips are all highway (very rarely take my car around town, we generally use my wife's car for short trips).

oil-report-082016.jpg

Last edited:
Hello all,

Here is my 2nd UOA. This is with Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 with 200ml Liqui Moly MoS2. Almost 8K mi OCI. Still breaking in it seems.
Nice to compare the factory fill to Mobil 1. Really shows the difference in additive packages between the two. TBN proves that even with Mobil 1, 10K mi OCI can easily be done, especially in fair weather climates. Next OCI will be 10K mi+

CX5 UOA.jpeg

Back