Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Hey guys...I captured a sample of ATF from my first drain/fill session and wasn't sure if that analysis needed TBN or not?

'16.5 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Hey guys...I captured a sample of ATF from my first drain/fill session and wasn't sure if that analysis needed TBN or not?
    According to Blackstone, TBN on ATF doesn't tell much. You can choose to include a TAN (Total Acid Number) if you'd like.
    • 2016.5 CX-5 Touring AWD
    • 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by RepeatMazda View Post
    According to Blackstone, TBN on ATF doesn't tell much. You can choose to include a TAN (Total Acid Number) if you'd like.
    Perfect, thank you!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Just did another oil change. A little early at 6300 miles, but decided to do it as I just got back from a road trip and wanted to do it before it got to much colder.

Been doing mostly city driving lately besides the road trip. I drained a little over 4 qts, so I guess I burned through 1 qt since the last change.....(I always add 5).

I took another sample, but by mistake I maybe did not run the engine enough before collecting, so guess we'll see how bad that affects the sample.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Since the warranty it's over, I change it at 10k. At 7.5k, I add another fresh bottle, because it needs it. Costco, or Sam's Club sell a six bottle package (Mobil One 0w20) for around $26.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tibimakai View Post
    Since the warranty it's over, I change it at 10k. At 7.5k, I add another fresh bottle, because it needs it. Costco, or Sam's Club sell a six bottle package (Mobil One 0w20) for around $26.
    Or may be you should try 5W-30 oil recommended in all other regions next time which may reduce your oil consumption.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Then I would have 18MPGs

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tibimakai View Post
    Then I would have 18MPGs
    I know you’re joking, right? But seriously using 5W-30 instead of 0W-20 the mpg reduction should be negligent. But it should help the oil consumption most of time. Based on Chris_Top_Her’s experience, 5W-30 oil also significantly reduced the contamination collected in his catch can.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    I know you’re joking, right? But seriously using 5W-30 instead of 0W-20 the mpg reduction should be negligent. But it should help the oil consumption most of time. Based on Chris_Top_Her’s experience, 5W-30 oil also significantly reduced the contamination collected in his catch can.
    I may try some 5w30. See how my next change goes and if I burn through a quart again.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

#2 - Thought I didn't run car long enough before sampling, but looks like it was good to go. Still awaiting report for ATF sample, sent in at same time. If I continue to run 7500+ miles like they say, I will be adding a quart of makeup oil at 5k as I was down a quart when I changed the oil last. Guess we'll see if that trend continues.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Colorado, excellent results thanks for posting. The Castrol Oil I heard does a good job in keeping its weight stable during high heat.

You came a long way....now fixing your car yourself and doing oil analysis!!!

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Colorado, excellent results thanks for posting. The Castrol Oil I heard does a good job in keeping its weight stable during high heat.

You came a long way....now fixing your car yourself and doing oil analysis!!!
    Castrol has been treating me just fine.

Yes! Thanks to this forum.

Still awaiting my transmission fluid sample report. Really looking forward to that one.

'16.5 CX-5 Touring AWD

Another good report. I'm curious to see if when you push it to 7,500+ you'll start seeing the same thinning I have.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by RepeatMazda View Post
    Another good report. I'm curious to see if when you push it to 7,500+ you'll start seeing the same thinning I have.
    I'll let you know. Going to push this interval to 7500. Will have to add a quart though to do so around 5k from what I observed.

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

first oil change cx5 2.5NA. mazda oil w/ moly 0w20 from factory. 2724 miles on the car.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast