SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

I just started using rotella 5w30 full synthetic for gas trucks. Ita new and I saw some results on bobistheoilguy and it indeed does beat it competition in many oil atttribute tests.

This reminds me that I still need to send in my sample from May or June or whenever my last change was. Doh!

Second oil change.

Screenshot-2019-08-02-00-22-03.png

sorry forgot to mention. It is 2.5 non-turbo. I change the oil on my own with Mazda Moly 0w20.
Yes, nothing new. So far so good.

I am interested in trying Idemitsu and Eneos Sustina but it would probably be after 20k.
For now I plan to stick with Mazda Moly but last time local dealers did not have it on stock and I had to order online.
They mentioned it may be going out of stock but that is still a rumor.

Second oil change.

Screenshot-2019-08-02-00-22-03.png
The similarity between these two UOA's of factory oil and Mazda moly oil makes me believe Mazda uses Mazda moly oil as the factory fill. We should keep the factory oil with high molybdenum in more miles for break-in purpose like Honda does, unless we use Mazda moly oil again for oil change.

sorry forgot to mention. It is 2.5 non-turbo. I change the oil on my own with Mazda Moly 0w20.
Yes, nothing new. So far so good.

I am interested in trying Idemitsu and Eneos Sustina but it would probably be after 20k.
For now I plan to stick with Mazda Moly but last time local dealers did not have it on stock and I had to order online.
They mentioned it may be going out of stock but that is still a rumor.
Even if the Mazda dealer has run out of the stock on moly oil, the parts department still can order it, and get it in within a day depending on your location.

If Mazda North American Operations are going to stop carrying Mazda moly oil, that's too bad. I'll find something else instead.

Yes, that is how the online dealer' order went.
They did not have it either but I have already paid and actually they sent me notification that it is ordered from somewhere (may be Mazda warehouse i dont know).
So it added +2 days more for shipping.

local dealers may be just saying this to make me buy the castrol or whatever they sell. I will see next time I try to buy locally.

Btw. idemitsu zepro 0w20 is supposedely very similar to the Mazda moly 0w20. And the Mazda Moly is made by idemitsu.

Btw. idemitsu zepro 0w20 is supposedely very similar to the Mazda moly 0w20. And the Mazda Moly is made by idemitsu.
Yes, that would be the one I consider if Mazda moly is no longer available. :)

Is there a reason why you guys feel old school moly is better than the newer moly in oil now? Mazda Moly 0w20 and the high moly Idemitsu 0w20 are both rather pricy.

Is there a reason why you guys feel old school moly is better than the newer moly in oil now? Mazda Moly 0w20 and the high moly Idemitsu 0w20 are both rather pricy.
No particular reason. Old school people like old school stuff may be? But these oils are not pricy to me. I can get a quart for about $7+. $2+ more than those found in the WalMart. But $10 can't even be enough for the lunch money nowadays.

Last edited:
Same here. yes end user price is more but you can find discounts 20-25%.
I get the oil for aprox 35$ for 5 quarts. 10$ more than walmart oils is ok for me. Once per year or twice in my case because of the dust and heat here.
Price vs quality is very good to me for Mazda Moly.

p.s. Eneos Sustina is pricey oil :)

Is there a reason why you guys feel old school moly is better than the newer moly in oil now?

Can't answer as to why some think it's better, but most blenders/oil producers certainly wouldn't agree with that. Also, the "newer moly" isn't exactly new (if you're referring to Trinuclear Moly), as it was created by ExxonMobil in the early 2000s.

No particular reason. Old school people like old school stuff may be? But these oils are not pricy to me. I can get a quart for about $7+. $2+ more than those found in the WalMart. But $10 can't even enough for the lunch money nowadays.

That's certainly a better price, but still $10 more than any oil I get.

It's good oil sure, just don't see any evidence of it being worth the extra.

But I'm running 5w30 now anyway, so what do I know? :p

Last edited:
I am changing aprox. every 6 months and I just don't drive that many miles.

Most of the time the car either sits garaged when I am out of the country or is driven in extreme heat, short distances the other time + the nice local dust we have here in AZ.
Oil change with Mazda Moly and oem filter comes to less than 50usd so thats fine for me.

Yeah but you went 3,000 miles in 5 months, or maybe 8,000 miles annually. You could easily go a year between oil changes. I had 6,000 miles on my last oil analysis and they suggested I go 8,000 miles next time, also with Mazda OEM Moly 0w-20 and OEM filter.

Yeah but you went 3,000 miles in 5 months, or maybe 8,000 miles annually. You could easily go a year between oil changes. I had 6,000 miles on my last oil analysis and they suggested I go 8,000 miles next time, also with Mazda OEM Moly 0w-20 and OEM filter.

I agree. I took the 6 month or however many miles and threw the month thing out the window the first time I heard it.

If it takes 1-2 years to put 5-7500 miles on the car, then that's when it will get changed, and there will be zero problems. That's how long it takes my weekend warrior garbage hauler to accumulate those miles usually. 250k and running strong as ever.

eh I dunno, I usually don't go more than a year oil drain intervals. Lately my Integra sees less than 5K miles a year, but I still change it once a year anyway.

Back