SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

The important values are the WEAR numbers and NOT the % fuel in the oil. Sometimes we forget that and focus on the wrong things. Ed

Ordered my very first analysis kit. I have about 1k more miles to go before it's time for my next oil change. I anticipate hitting that in about a month if even.

Will be at about 66.5k miles then, and am definitely interested to see what is going on in that engine. :)

It's funny how we get excited about these things. Which kit did you order? Remember to get the oil nice and hot before taking the sample.

The above post was my final attempt to post a nice UOA of my 2014 CX5 oil change. Obviously, it didn't work. Ed

So it looked like all you did was post a link. I think you need to upload as attachment or image. If you go to advanced reply mode those are indicated by a paperclip and image button respectively.

OK I saved my UOA as a WORD FILE pdf. Now what?

As CD said, you have to upload it somewhere on the net where the board can access it. If you go to settings>manage files, you can upload it to the board. Then link as you have before.

edit> I see you uploaded it to the board. The problem is probably that this software cannot deal with docx files.
Just do what you did before with a pdf.

Last edited:
It's funny how we get excited about these things. Which kit did you order? Remember to get the oil nice and hot before taking the sample.

Sorry I missed this post.

I ordered whatever that free test kit was. This one here.

So get the oil nice and hot? How long should I drive around, and then how long should I sit before collecting? Keeping in mind it's been about 90 degrees give or take here lately. ;)

Sorry I missed this post.

I ordered whatever that free test kit was. This one here.

So get the oil nice and hot? How long should I drive around, and then how long should I sit before collecting? Keeping in mind it's been about 90 degrees give or take here lately. ;)

Yes, an oil sample that was taken at OT will deliver the best results of the oil's condition. A 10-15 mile drive should do the trick. If I'm taking a sample, I don't let it sit, I pull it straight onto the ramps and drop the oil. You want to take the sample mid-stream -- not from the first oil that comes out of the pain and not from the last bit either. I fill the container up to the brim in order to ensure they have enough oil to do a full analysis (including TBN), I've seen a few samples come back to where they weren't able to due to not enough oil.

Yes, an oil sample that was taken at OT will deliver the best results of the oil's condition. A 10-15 mile drive should do the trick. If I'm taking a sample, I don't let it sit, I pull it straight onto the ramps and drop the oil. You want to take the sample mid-stream -- not from the first oil that comes out of the pain and not from the last bit either. I fill the container up to the brim in order to ensure they have enough oil to do a full analysis (including TBN), I've seen a few samples come back to where they weren't able to due to not enough oil.
Perfect, thank you so much for this.

file:///C:/Users/Edward/Dropbox/ED'S%20RED%20MAZDA.pdf#page=1
This is my and my granddaughter best effort to date to get my UOAs to the forum. Ed

This is my and my granddaughter best effort to date to get my UOAs to the forum. Ed
Do you know how to use the snipping tool on your computer?

Open the pdf, snip an image of it, upload to an image host site such as Imgur and then add to forum post using the image URL and image tags.

Maybe that's an easier proposition.

That URL is local to your computer C drive, so it wouldn't and doesn't work for us.

Ed, I'm going to try something with my own test PDF and if it works, I will screenshot what I did step-by-step and hopefully that will help.

I have a meeting in 10 minutes, so if I can't put the screenshots up by then, it will be after that meeting.

View attachment 219398

EDIT: Ok, it attached but didn't show as an image. I'll have to figure that out. Ed, what version of Windows are you using? Is it Windows 7 or newer?

Last edited:

That's a link to your hard-drive, which won't work on the internet. Assuming you have a windows computer, open the pdf on your computer and click the print screen button on your keyboard. Then open microsoft paint (you can type paint when you click the windows button the bottom left) and it should show up. When paint opens up press ctrl and v at the same time and it will paste the screenshot. Then use the pencil or paint brush tool to black out your name and address and contact info. Once you are done you can save the picture as a jpg and then on the forum if you go to advance when making a post there is a box that says manage attachments and you can upload the file directly that way.

Back