SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

My understanding in pressure is that it’s the oil pump and not the filter that dictates the pressure.

Yes the oil pump is responsible for the system pressure, the bypass pressure rating simply refers to the pressure that's required before the filter goes into bypass mode. Typically, the higher the number the less likely the filter will go into bypass. Of course, the bypass rating of the filter should be specified while taking the oil pump (and other variables) into consideration. If an engine produces lower oil pressure, you can get away with a filter that has a lower bypass pressure specification.

If you start looking at Delta P (change in pressure) then this conversation becomes more technical which I'm trying to avoid. For that conversation I'd recommend reading up at BITOG.

Please see my post on the Bosch 3300 thread for an explanation on the differences between efficiency ratings.
You're confusing Nominal and Absolute ratings. As I've mentioned previously, the Mazda spec (if we trust Wix's figures to be the true OE spec) is a nominal rating at 15 microns. This typically means that it stops 50% of particles at 15um. The M1 rating is an absolute rating of 99+% at 30um, this means that it stops over 99% of particles down to 30um. This efficiency rating is found using ISO 4548-12, testing information can be found here.

A comparison between nominal and absolute cannot be made as they mean two very different things, more on that can be found on Baldwin's site.

All this being said, 99+% at 30um, is a pretty good rating. If I had to put money on it, I would say that the M1 filter is more efficient than a Mazda filter. Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Mazda filter, but this idea that Mazda or Wix are the only options simply isn't true. If there was a genuine concern with using a "unique" filter that isn't compatible, a TSB would be released, much like they did with the CX-9 with the 2.5T.
We have seen Mazda North American Operations issued a warning to their US Mazda dealers stating this:

"The SKYACTIV engine oil filter (P/N PE01-14-302) is a unique high flow filter. Installing a conventional engine oil filter may store a TDC.

NOTE: The Mazda2 engine oil filter (P/N B6Y1-14-302A) looks similar; however, the internal structure is different. Do not use this oil filter on SKYACTIV vehicles."

Mazda OEM SkyActiv oil filters are unique filters with high flow but low micron rating.

SkyActiv oil filters have 15 "nominal" micron rating on filtering media but Mobil 1 oil filter has 30 microns @ 99% efficiency. There's no proper way to compare? Nominal micron rating on SkyActiv filters express the ability to capture particles of 15 microns at an efficiency between 50% and 98.6%. On the other hand absolute micron rating on Mobil 1 filter shows the filter is capable of removing at least 99% of 30-micron particles.

Here is a quote from On All Cylinders:
"⋯ But generally speaking, foreign material in the range between 10 and 20 microns will potentially do the most engine damage over time. So a filter that can efficiently filter within this range would offer distinct advantages and certainly reduce engine wear."

So the key here is we do know SkyActiv filters can filter damaging 15-micro particles up to 98.6% efficiency but we really don't know how many the 15-micron particles Mobil 1 filter can remove if any? To me this's so obverous that SkyActiv filters are much better on micro ratings.

Not to mention SkyActiv filters are specified as high flow, but Mobil 1 M1-108A filter, like Bosch ST3300 filter, claimed it's equivalent to Mazda's standard flow B6Y1-14-302A filter.

And compare those filters with absolute micron ratings, Mobil 1 is the worst filter among filters you listed.

So why not just use SkyActiv OEM filters to remove any doubs? :)

We have seen Mazda North American Operations issued a warning to their US Mazda dealers stating this:

"The SKYACTIV engine oil filter (P/N PE01-14-302) is a unique high flow filter. Installing a conventional engine oil filter may store a TDC.

NOTE: The Mazda2 engine oil filter (P/N B6Y1-14-302A) looks similar; however, the internal structure is different. Do not use this oil filter on SKYACTIV vehicles."

Mazda OEM SkyActiv oil filters are unique filters with high flow but low micron rating.

SkyActiv oil filters have 15 "nominal" micron rating on filtering media but Mobil 1 oil filter has 30 microns @ 99% efficiency. There's no proper way to compare? Nominal micron rating on SkyActiv filters express the ability to capture particles of 15 microns at an efficiency between 50% and 98.6%. On the other hand absolute micron rating on Mobil 1 filter shows the filter is capable of removing at least 99% of 30-micron particles.

Here is a quote from On All Cylinders:
"⋯ But generally speaking, foreign material in the range between 10 and 20 microns will potentially do the most engine damage over time. So a filter that can efficiently filter within this range would offer distinct advantages and certainly reduce engine wear."

So the key here is we do know SkyActiv filters can filter damaging 15-micro particles up to 98.6% efficiency but we really don't know how many the 15-micron particles Mobil 1 filter can remove if any? To me this's so obverous that SkyActiv filters are much better on micro ratings.

Not to mention SkyActiv filters are specified as high flow, but Mobil 1[emoji769] M1-108A filter, like Bosch ST3300 filter, claimed it's equivalent to Mazda's standard flow B6Y1-14-302A filter.

And compare those filters with absolute micron ratings, Mobil 1 is the worst filter among filters you listed.

So why not just use SkyActiv OEM filters to remove any doubs? :)

Let’s try this. You use whichever filter you want and the rest of us that have decided on using a different brand will use ours. If our engines blow up because of the filters, we will be the ones to admit our mistake.

What percentage of CX5 owners get their oil changed at quick lube joints? I suspect it’s a good percentage. Those places use cheap jobber filters yet we hear of no mass engine failures.

Let’s let it rest.

Let’s try this. You use whichever filter you want and the rest of us that have decided on using a different brand will use ours. If our engines blow up because of the filters, we will be the ones to admit our mistake.

What percentage of CX5 owners get their oil changed at quick lube joints? I suspect it’s a good percentage. Those places use cheap jobber filters yet we hear of no mass engine failures.

Let’s let it rest.

Wells stated!

YRWEI52 doesn't like to be proven wrong and is very argumentative so it's best to let him be. He believes he is right and everyone else is wrong and that Mazda oil filters are the best in the world. He bought a 3 year supply of oil filters so he doesn't want to be told differently.

Most SkyActiv owners go to quick lube places were they install Fram and other cheapo filters and some of these vehicles are pushing 100,000+ miles and all is well. There are bigger things to worry about in life than how many microns an oil filter has. Let YRWEI52 obsess about it. I'm done dealing with it.(unamused)

Yeah, the engine will run for quite some time with no oil in it at all, and one can hollow the filter out and the car will still push some incredible miles... So?
This is the forum for tech enthusiasts, for some extra bling discussion and opinion on the wheel looks under certain angle of sunshine from the sky on can go to another form, right? No need to shut people down.

Wells stated!

YRWEI52 doesn't like to be proven wrong and is very argumentative so it's best to let him be. He believes he is right and everyone else is wrong and that Mazda oil filters are the best in the world. He bought a 3 year supply of oil filters so he doesn't want to be told differently.

Most SkyActiv owners go to quick lube places were they install Fram and other cheapo filters and some of these vehicles are pushing 100,000+ miles and all is well. There are bigger things to worry about in life than how many microns an oil filter has. Let YRWEI52 obsess about it. I'm done dealing with it.(unamused)
You're the one started a thread wanting a Bosch ST3300 filter insisting it's better than SkyActiv OEM filters. It turned out the by-pass pressure is low not meeting the SkyActv requirement. You're the one questioning Mazda's engineering and their products - the unique SkyActiv oil filter, and believing the aftermarket oil filters are better, then I'll borrow a sentence been used here inappropriately IMO by several members: "why you bought a Mazda?"

All my posts here only stating the facts and my honest opinions and the purpose is to defend the thoughts that those Thai and Mexican SkyActiv OEM oil filters are WORSE than those aftermarket filters! You even posted a video with wrong comments trying to trash SkyActiv OEM filters just to prove your favorite Bosch filter is superior!

I bought 24 Tokyo Roki Japanese oil filters is not because they're just OEM filters, but it's the best made SkYActiv OEM filter IMO and unfortunately it got discontinued by MNAO; just like RepeatMazda bought 40+ bottles of Idemitsu oil which he thinks it's one of the best oil from Advance Auto's clearance!

The fact is most people don't know and don't care what kind of oil filter they have on their CX-5, and even the Jiffy Lube filter with its generic blend oil won't cause an immediate engine failure, the argument of which oil filter, just like which oil, should be used on our CX-5 is moot. We only want to know the facts if possible but not the false information been presented here. As far as which oil filter you want to use, to each his own!

My Mazda dealer ONLY sells the "valued" Mazda oil filters and installs them on all Mazda's. This "Mazda value" oil filter is made in Mexico and nobody knows what specs it has.

I never said I want a "cheaper" oil filter than OEM. I actually want a BETTER oil filter than OEM. If I have to spend $20, I will do it. I just don't want to buy a "valued" Mazda oil filter at the Mazda dealership because they are outsourced Mexico filters.

The Bosch ST3300 is made in Bridgeview, IL - USA

Also, please show me WHERE the Bosch oil filter doesn't meet specs in the written material?

Mobil1 Champlabs tech responded:

Sorry for the delay. The Mobil 1 filter is 95% efficient at 20 Micron.

Thanks for relating this info. So, 99% at 30 micron and 95% at 20 micron sounds like a fine filter.

Yes, it does. So at 15 microns it has to be around 90-95% efficient, which is excellent.

BITOG reviews show the Mobil1 filter is top notch. It's $13 so not the least expensive and more money than the OEM or Wix $8 but well worth the addition $5

Yes, it does. So at 15 microns it has to be around 90-95% efficient, which is excellent.

BITOG reviews show the Mobil1 filter is top notch. It's $13 so not the least expensive and more money than the OEM or Wix $8 but well worth the addition $5

I paid $8 and change at Walmart for mine. I don’t mind the little extra and oil changes are a once a year thing for me as it is.

I was expecting this UOA to show high fuel like in UOA #2 as it was driven during the same time of year and for nearly the same mileage. However, I did take this sample directly after a 70ish mile commute, so perhaps the excess fuel evaporated out of the oil on the drive home. With the exception of a low flash point, this is a rather boring (Yay!) UOA. I'd like to get the flash point up into the targeted area so I'm dropping the OCI to 8,500 and seeing how it fares.

OCI history is as follows:

0 - 1,169 - Factory Fill
1,169 - 10,120 - Mag1 0w20
10,120 - 19,949 - Mobil Super Syn 0w20
19,949 - 30,031 - Mobil 1 EP 0w20
30,031 - 39,486 - SynPower 0w20
39,486 - Present - SynPower 0w20

full-36288-22121-uoa_4.png

As you know, Blackstone is notorious for it's fuel inaccuracy. Flash point IS your fuel dilution. The oil in the sump of our engine does not get above 85C-185F, so I'm not sure how much fuel would evaporate on the long trip. Some, indeed, but is it material?

Last edited:
As you know, Blackstone is notorious for it's fuel inaccuracy. Flash point IS your fuel dilution. The oil in the sump of our engine does not get above 85C-185F, so I'm not sure how much fuel would evaporate on the long trip. Some, indeed, but is it material?

Without question. Which is why when the flash point is where it should be, I'll know fuel dilution is at an acceptable level. While the sump may not get above 185*, the oil (and fuel) as it circulates the entire system certainly does. Fuel is definitely being flashed out of the oil around the piston rings.

Good point, around piston rings and at friction points, yes. Momentarily. I don't think that the temp sensor is actually in the sump though, not sure.
In my Tahoe the sensor doubles as a pressure sensor, mounted quite high. The oil temp oftenly gets above the coolant, 95+C, with spirited driving, without any towing. It definitely helps fuel burn-off, but the irony is that the truck doesn't have fuel dilution problem at all...

Last edited:
Taking my 2017 CX-5 GT for first (complementary) oil change at O'Brien Mazda in Ft. Myers FL. Was told by service rep. that they routinely use Valvoline synthetic 0-W20 oil and not Castrol or Mazda moly oil as manual recommends.
Was told I could only get Mazda moly oil if I special ordered it as they don't normally keep it in stock, hard to believe.
Is the Valvoline oil a Mazda approved substitute in place of Castrol or Mazda brand oil?
Thank you.

Taking my 2017 CX-5 GT for first (complementary) oil change at O'Brien Mazda in Ft. Myers FL. Was told by service rep. that they routinely use Valvoline synthetic 0-W20 oil and not Castrol or Mazda moly oil as manual recommends.
Was told I could only get Mazda moly oil if I special ordered it as they don't normally keep it in stock, hard to believe.
Is the Valvoline oil a Mazda approved substitute in place of Castrol or Mazda brand oil?
Thank you.

Valvoline is excellent. I am using right now. The latest formulation has moly, boron and titanium. I would run it with no worries.

Thank you.
You'll be fine. Its the correct grade.

Ordered my very first analysis kit. I have about 1k more miles to go before it's time for my next oil change. I anticipate hitting that in about a month if even.

Will be at about 66.5k miles then, and am definitely interested to see what is going on in that engine. :)

Back