2016 World Car of the Year awards

MrDIY

:
Mazda CX 5
Well done to Mazda for achieving the WORLD Car of the Year award with Mazda MX-5. Not a CX-5, but a boost to the Mazda brand.
Brian

Well done to Mazda for achieving the WORLD Car of the Year award with Mazda MX-5. Not a CX-5, but a boost to the Mazda brand.
Brian
Mazda definitely need something like this hoping to boost sale for MX-5 Miata. The history of sales figure for MX-5 seems going down for recent years.

Actually CX-5 sales figure is also at the bottom of the compact CUVs in the US market, only ⅓ of these top sellers such as Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, Ford Escape, and Nissan Rogue. I've been doing my best recommending CX-5 each time friends consulting me for new vehicles. I found the most obstacles to convince them for a Mazda CX-5 were the reliability and quality issues. Lack of some features offered by other competitors were common complaints too. They either had doubts on how reliable for the Mazda brand, or they felt the interior doesn't have high quality feel on material and workmanship, and doesn't offer enough features such as memory seat and rear AC vents. I did convinced six people in a year for a new CX-5, including my wife who desperately wanted a Lexus! ;)

Well that is certainly what it seems to have become...

US Sales
Mazda
MX-5 Miata

1989 23.052
1990 35.944
1991 31.240
1992 24.964
1993 21.588
1994 21.400
1995 20.174
1996 18.408
1997 17.218
1998 19.845
1999 17.738
2000 18.299
2001 16.486
2002 14.392
2003 10.920
2004 9.356
2005 9.801
2006 16.897
2007 15.075
2008 10.977
2009 7.917
2010 6.370
2011 5.674
2012 6.305
2013 5.780
2014 4.745
2015 8.591
2016 1.319 thru 3/1/16

This article is interesting in raising the point how Mazda is "forced" to cooperate with Toyota in order to meet upcoming stricter requirement on fuel efficiency.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lianeyvkoff/2016/03/28/for-mazda-saving-the-art-of-driving/

Cars equipped with Skyactiv technology offer consumer benefits that include best-in-class fuel economy, higher torque, and more quick and linear response. Because their vehicles are lighter, they also handle better. The 2016 Mazda MX-5 is a testament to this technology’s efficacy, and is reflected in the essentialism of its design and performance. Little changes inspired by Skyactiv, such reducing five lug nuts in the wheel to four, serve to reduce weight and streamline design. But there is another reason Mazda chose to focus on perfecting existing engineering and automotive design rather than inventing new technology – they weren’t required to.

Large volume manufacturers don’t have that advantage. They needed to introduce hybrids, purchase zero-emissions credits, or pay fines to meet CARB’s zero-emissions quotas. However, the noose is tightening on emissions standards for all manufacturers.

Regardless of a manufacturer’s sales volume, California will begin requiring a percentage of vehicles be zero emissions starting in 2018. This means full battery electric or hydrogen for large volume manufacturers. Intermediate Volume Manufacturers may still be able to get away with selling only hybrids or plug-in hybrids to meeting quotas. CARB is in the process of changing their manufacturer classification status formula in 2018, and it’s unclear if Mazda will retain IVM classification.

The news gets worse.

The next CAF target of 54.5 for mpg by 2025 looms like a dark cloud on the horizon for all auto makers. At a current average of 42.3 mpg, it’s not clear how much more efficient Mazda can make their ICE vehicles without costly electrification of the powertrain, which could be financially damning for the Japanese brand. It’s understood that 100% efficiency isn’t possible, but initial laboratory engine test results from EERE’s Vehicle Technologies Office and the national laboratories indicate that for passenger vehicles, fuel economy improvements of more than 50% are possible.

The upcoming 2016 Mazda CX-9 three-row crossover is reported to have best in class fuel economy of a combined 25 mpg. But if this vehicle proves popular–which likely it will be because its style is more sporty and aggressive than what you see in the segment–will that success come at the cost of CAFE compliance? To that end, Mazda is looking at even more obscure ways to cut weight, reduce friction, and managing thermal efficiencies on their engines to ensure that when fuel is being utilized that the heat can be used as an energy source to move the vehicle forward.

But even the most talented engineers at Mazda may not be able to appease CARB, who is closing the door is closing on the ultra fuel-efficient ICE-only strategy. Eventually all except boutique brands will be required to sell zero-emissions vehicles, or at the very minimum, a hybrid powertrain that significantly improves gas mileage for the vehicle type and size.

Rather than build, Mazda will likely buy that technology, and has already inked a partnership with Toyota to explore borrowing their battery and hydrogen technology. In Japan they already sell a hybrid Mazda3 variant using technology and parts gained from a partnership with Toyota. In exchange Toyota likely will reap the benefit of some of the most advanced engine, structural, and handling technology on the market. For manufacturer, that’s a double edged sword. On the one hand they get expensive, and mature technology at a fraction of the price, but they also lose what makes them unique in the marketplace, says Eric Lyman, Vice President of Industry Insights for TrueCar. That conundrum will be seen with the upcoming Fiat 124 Spyder, he says, which is a rebadged Mazda MX-5. But that’s the deal Mazda has to make if they want to stay in this game.

Why can't Mazda makes PZEV a standard, at least in the interim? Based on the conversation I had Mazda offers PZEV equipped CX5 but hardly ever anyone requested explicitly for it. He asked me to check and I did check the owner's manual. A PZEV equipped CX5 looses HP by 1 (just 1) but reduces emission quite a bit and in many states actually extends the emission warranty to 15 years (CA included). Frankly it looks like a no-brainer but never figured out why there's hardly any discussion on this. I, for one - if had known would have readily asked for PZEV equipped CX5.
Again: It does NOT solve the problem but helps in emission reduction.

Why can't Mazda makes PZEV a standard, at least in the interim? Based on the conversation I had Mazda offers PZEV equipped CX5 but hardly ever anyone requested explicitly for it. He asked me to check and I did check the owner's manual. A PZEV equipped CX5 looses HP by 1 (just 1) but reduces emission quite a bit and in many states actually extends the emission warranty to 15 years (CA included). Frankly it looks like a no-brainer but never figured out why there's hardly any discussion on this. I, for one - if had known would have readily asked for PZEV equipped CX5.
Again: It does NOT solve the problem but helps in emission reduction.

What's PZEV?

Screw emissions, I want a boosted ND Miata! That's one car I've never seen. A boosted ND.
Back to roots Mazda.

Like the FM one, but not photoshopped and without an LS3 motor.
IMG_2660.jpg

Almost looks like a miniature F-type.

Mazda has always been the "small" car company but it puts out great driving, reliable and quality vehicles. The CX5 has some features that only $50k+ high end luxury CUVs have.

The current Mazdas have the best interiors in their respective classes. By far.

The facelifted Mazda3 will give us a hint of what direction Mazda is planning to take.

They are definitely flirting with Hybrids and Turbos.
I test drove a Mazda3 Hybrid here in Japan, and that combination of the juicy Skyactiv engine and Toyota's hybrid system made it for a very peppy car. I reckon it could do 0-100ks in under 7seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe Mazda will be Toyota's next Scion?

Not quite. From what they've said recently, they want to stay independent.
And to stay independent they need to make deals with other manufacturers.

Also, the reason for letting Toyota sell the Mazda2 as a Scion is because Mazda is trying to move up market, so they wanted to avoid being associated with a "cheap" entry level car in the US.

... Also, the reason for letting Toyota sell the Mazda2 as a Scion is because Mazda is trying to move up market, so they wanted to avoid being associated with a "cheap" entry level car in the US.
Isn't Scion considered as a "cheap" entry level car brand from Toyota in the US?

Isn't Scion considered as a "cheap" entry level car brand from Toyota in the US?

It is, and that's why Mazda would rather see a Scion badge on the little Mazda2.
So it's Scion/Toyota who are selling the cheap entry level car.

Brian

MX5 has always been a class dominator, and unless Mazda does something really stupid, always will be.

MX5 has always been a class dominator, and unless Mazda does something really stupid, always will be.

It's only a matter of time before Tesla announces a small, affordable electric roadster and, by that time, there will likely be lots of quick charge stations and electric charging stations at places of employment and hotels. I really do think we are on the cusp of electric cars displacing internal combustion for most uses. Within 10 years they will be everywhere (co-existing with conventional IC vehicles).

Did you see the partial roll-out of the American made Tesla Model 3 last night? Specs are still under wraps but I trust Musk when he says even the $35,000 base model will "be a really nice car". Knowledgeable sources speculate 4 second 0-60 times which is unheard of for that price range. I imagine that kind of performance will only be available on higher trim levels. Musk said the new, high tech battery "Giga-factory" has the largest building foot-print in the world and is second in volumetric size only to the largest building in the world at the Boeing plant here in Washington. This one high-tech facility will more than double the worldwide manufacturing capacity of rechargeable batteries. And the energy density as well as cost/energy of new batteries has been steadily improving.

I believe the battery lifecycle will go from vehicles to power grid storage banks when the batteries degrade to 80% of original capacity to a centralized re-manufacturing facility which will recycle the materials into new batteries when they are down to 30-50% of original capacity.

Until the electric revolution is in full swing, Mazda is doing a good job of squeezing the last life out of internal combustion technology before it's doomed to go the way of the horse/buggy.

I'm way behind the news with Tesla and electric cars in general, hoping somebody will throw in a brief update, but how do the batteries fair in cold sub-zero winter? Also, will the electric cars able to keep our bodies warm, and how would that affect the batteries and range?

I do think electric car is the obvious future, too. Hopefully Mazda has a long-term plan (like how they're working with Toyota). How likely that Tesla is able to put the zoom-zoom in their cars?

I'm way behind the news with Tesla and electric cars in general, hoping somebody will throw in a brief update, but how do the batteries fair in cold sub-zero winter?

You will definitely lose some range in really cold weather but even the base model Tesla 3 is reported to have a 215 mile range and Tesla has developed techniques to keep the batteries warmer in sub-zero weather. Higher spec trims will have longer ranges.

Also, will the electric cars able to keep our bodies warm, and how would that affect the batteries and range?

Current Tesla Model 6 and Model X owners living in cold climates pre-heat the cabins while they are still plugged into grid power. They also are designed to keep you warm and comfortable using lower energy solutions such as heated seats and steering wheels and, once the drive train heats up from driving it uses the waste heat from the electric motors and inverter to heat the cabin.

I do think electric car is the obvious future, too. Hopefully Mazda has a long-term plan (like how they're working with Toyota). How likely that Tesla is able to put the zoom-zoom in their cars?

The Tesla Model S with optional Ludicrous Mode has plenty of zoom-zoom with 0-60 in 2.8 seconds, essentially tying exotic supercars costing ten times as much. Reviewers have been very impressed with driving dynamics too. They corner very flat and have very low center of gravity.

It is, and that's why Mazda would rather see a Scion badge on the little Mazda2.
So it's Scion/Toyota who are selling the cheap entry level car.

The Ford Fiesta is also a rebadged Mazda2. :)

Back