Exhaust, Muffler Rust on New CX-5?

caudeur

:
mazda cx-5 gs 2016
Hi folks,

Recently purchased a new 2016 CX-5 GS. One month in, and I see rust developing on the exhaust pipes and muffler. Attached a few pics. Is that normal? I live in Canada and salt on the roads doesn't help much, but is that really expected after only 1 month? Those with CX-5s, do you see something similar on your exhaust system?

rust2.jpg
rust3.jpg
rust1.jpg

I'm pissed with the same issue as well. My wife's CX-5 is 2015, going through the second winter. A year ago nothing unusual showed up. This year I was really upset. The rest of the body is perfect, undercoated with Fluid Film, but the exhaust looks terrible. This looks like a really cheap stainless steel that shouldn't carry that name. Normally the exhaust rots from inside, but those pipes show heavy surface corrosion. It will be interesting chat with the dealer when something falls off.

I think you have reason to be mad...should be covered by warranty.

Hi folks,

Recently purchased a new 2016 CX-5 GS. One month in, and I see rust developing on the exhaust pipes and muffler. Attached a few pics. Is that normal? I live in Canada and salt on the roads doesn't help much, but is that really expected after only 1 month? Those with CX-5s, do you see something similar on your exhaust system?

View attachment 213555
View attachment 213556
View attachment 213557

Well, yes, it's unpainted steel so eventually the entire thing will get a more uniform covering of surface rust. All my Volvos, Ford's and other makes have done the same thing. It doesn't help that I live in Western Washington on an island surrounded by salt water. I make regular trips to various ski areas and the WSDOT applies de-icer salts to those roads all winter long. I also ride Washington State Ferries to visit friends and family on the Olympic Peninsula and San Juan Islands and it's not uncommon for salt spray to coat the vehicles parked in the front half of the ferry during stormy crossings. Once, I was on the ferry one sailing previous to one of the upper cabin windows being smashed by a giant wave. Those windows are a good 15 feet above the open car decks. So, yeah, things are gonna rust on my cars. But it hasn't been a problem, my Volvo is going on 18 years and there's no holes in the muffler or exhaust.

Here's my CX-5 after 4 ski seasons:

attachment.php

After a year or two it will look more uniform.

Yours, Mike, looks better then ours after 2 winters. I've been in exhaust business for 5 years, and I don't recall seeing such a fast rust spread. My '14 Tahoe is driven under the same conditions, and there's nothing worth mentioning on the exhaust. Heck, in 2013 we sold our 2004 Suzuki Aero with almost pristine - looking exhaust, and it still is going strong. I dunno, will wait and see.

I think your rust just looks bad because everything is so pristine (except for the areas with surface rust). It's the contrast that makes it look alarming. Here's another shot (forgive the poor lighting, yes, it's raining again! I'm confident once you get an even coating of rust it won't look so alarming!

attachment.php

I'm all for the good outcome. Will take picks of both vehicles on the hoist when it's time for oil change.

I bet you didn't visit the dealership after rain, every car in the lot (RAM, MAZDA, JEEP, CHEYSLER, DODGE)all has rust brake rotor and look ugly. But, my dad's BMW never have this rust problem because BMW put expensive rotor in it. So, I say it is very normal in this kind car in this price of rage.

I bet you didn't visit the dealership after rain, every car in the lot (RAM, MAZDA, JEEP, CHEYSLER, DODGE)all has rust brake rotor and look ugly. But, my dad's BMW never have this rust problem because BMW put expensive rotor in it. So, I say it is very normal in this kind car in this price of rage.

Expensive rotors aren't immune from rust, some rust even easier. I have BrakeTech ductile iron rotors on one of my Ducati, they are pricy, have exceptional thermal performance and will rust if you so much as whisper near them. Stainless rotors are much more resistant to corrosion but have poor thermal performance.

Do you want to stop or look pretty? Your choice.

My Volvo S80 T-6 was almost $60,000 out the door back in 1999. Guess what? It got just as much surface rust on the exhaust components, just as quickly as the Mazda. Maybe a bit more quickly due to the higher exhaust temperatures. Paying a lot for a car doesn't slow the rust down.

Over reaction in my opinion. Even factory exhaust labeled SS show surface rust because they don't get surgical grade Stainless steel. Ed

Here is mine after 22K miles

IMG_5722-2.JPG

Dang, that looks good! Mine just hit 30,000 miles but yours looks like a city princess compared to mine!

You must not ride the ferries and visit ski areas all winter long. Mine's never been garaged either because my garage is a motorcycle shop! I need a sign that says "Cars Will Be Towed".

Yeah... just a couple weekends a month over the passes and always garaged at home. Probably get some more salt water exposure though with the boat launches around Everett and launches on lower delta of Snohomish River.

1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah... just a couple weekends a month over the passes and always garaged at home. Probably get some more salt water exposure though with the boat launches around Everett and launches on lower delta of Snohomish River.

Yeah, I've never seen a car that didn't get real rusty from regular trailer dipping in salt water! Just a fact of life. The road salts are probably what's taking the biggest toll on my CX-5. Here's the worst part:

attachment.php

What's worse than salt and water? Heat, salt and water! Every car does it but I can't recall it's ever been an issue that required any action on my part. Then again, I usually don't keep my cars more than 15-20 years.

Last edited:

This isn't correct at all. Expensive rotor doesn't rust because it's on a BMW...lol

The rotors may not rust, by all the electronics will fail, water pump will fail, radiator will crack, and turbos will seize. BMW is garbage, so don't come to a Mazda forum and start bragging about a piece of s***.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same issues. Mine is a little worse than the OP's, and of course, like others have said, this is expected to a degree...

However, my concern with rust and general body wear is what caused me to sign up for this forum today after lurking for a couple of years. I was alarmed by the shape of my exhaust, door hinges, paint chips, and no telling what else I can't actually see. Just noticed this in the last 6 months or so, have neglected to do anything at this point. Don't really know what I can/should do. I'm just thinking maybe this isn't the car to try and keep 10+ years. Has me a bit annoyed/worried. Plan on talking to service manager when I take it to get some brake work done in the near future.

My comparison/reference is to toyota 4runners. Drove 2 used ones before I bought the new Cx5...it was the zoom zoom that made me switch from toyota, btw. It really is fun to drive! Just feel like I sacrificed a bit of durability. My 07 had way less rust on exhaust after 10 years than my CX5 accumulated in 2.5yrs. That's crazy. I also take much better care of the new Cx5 than I ever did with the Toyotas. Paint is also very thin compared to 07 toyota. I believe I read 2016+ Cx5's have new paint process.

Oh well. Pros and cons. Really enjoying this vehicle, that's why I want to keep it for a very long time.

Back