EGR valve to headers??

P5_2003_tuner

Tune it to Boost it
:
2003 mazda protege FS hatchback
So i saw another thread where the bung on the racing headers was way off from the egr line. I have the same problem but i was faced with two options as in the other thread. one: plug bung and put a breather on the egr line. Two: run corrugated gas line in place of egr. When i found the same line that was pictured as reference the threads were pipe threads and will deff cross thread it if i force it. So im wondering the importance of having these two meet because my check engine light is now on. Just swapped the stock for fidanza 9lb aluminum fly and exedy stage 1 clutch and these $100 ebay headers are killing me with this lawnmower sound now? What should i do for best performance???

I used soft copper tubing and bent it around, then cut the EGR pipe and joined them with a compression union. I had to shim the EGR pipe with aluminum from a soda can to get a tight fit with a 5/8 ferrule. It hasn't set an EGR code.

I bought some fiberglass sleeve to slide over the copper so it looks better, but I haven't installed it yet.

I've got a good idea what you mean but it would be awesome if i could see a picture. Header gap.jpg

I would just ditch that header and buy one that the egr bung is parallel with the flange so you can just bolt it up. Sell that other one.

Here is the 1/2" copper tubing with the fiberglass sleeve over it. I need to grab some stainless zip ties to out on the ends and stop the fraying.

My header has 1/2" flare threads. You'll need to have the tubing flared on that end, the hardware store did that for me. The other end is a 5/8x1/2 compression union, shimmed on the EGR end with aluminum from a soda can. The EGR tube did not match up to any compression fitting that I could get, which is why I had to shim it.

The gas tubing would work as well, but that wasnt available to me locally.

http://imgur.com/mOLDpSR

Thanks for the help. I actually found a really old thread about using a 1/2" corrugated gas line and it bolted right up. Now i have a more flexible line thats easier to work with and no more CEL

Whichever header you look at, MAKE SURE THE EGR BUNG POINTS PARALLEL WITH FLANGE, MOTOR AND GROUND, not at any angles.........

Good........
s-l1600.jpg

No good...........
s-l500.jpg

See the difference?

Back