Anyone else think the windshield wiper reservoir is poorly designed?

Scythe024

:
'16 CX-5 GT
Let me start out by saying I know this is a silly complaint and minor, but also that's because I have found very few things to complain about on the CX-5 which is a good thing. The other complaint was the poor trunk light which was useless, but fixed by LED replacement.

Ok so I used my wiper spray this morning to help clean my windows and got a wiper fluid low indicator. When I got home today I decided to fill it up. Now I don't really use anything fancy unless maybe I am going up to the snow, so usually just water. Well I pop the top and try to find the reservoir to see the fill line, but don't see one. Oh well, I put a bottle in, than another, than another. It doesn't seem to be getting even close to full. I finally pull the lid off and see the dip stick attached to it to see the water level. Well it's a clear liquid, going down a wet tube, so even after drying it off, dipping it, and lifting it back out, it was hard to see the actual level. Couple more bottles of water (i am refilling the bottle, not actually using bottled water), I check again. I figure the small boxes are suppose to be filled with water and see I am still a few off. Wel I get up to 8 bottles and there is still 2 empty squares. I put in the 9th and all of a sudden the water stops pouring and realize i way over filled it.

Maybe I should be using actual wiperfluid to help determine the levels and get a reading, but usually water has worked for me along with clean blades. Just curious if this has been a small annoyance for anyone else.

Usually I don't fill it because I don't use it often. Sometime dealership will add it for when I went to oil change, but I literally don't check it.

I dont think the reservoir is poorly designed. Its tucked out of the way. Actually, its capacity is quite large. I believe it is a gallon and half, maybe 2 gallons in size. There are other things about the cx-5 that are more worthy of complaining about. 1 for instance is the vast space at the top of the hood and where it meets the windshield. Living in a snow area, that space is a pain in the but to clear the snow out of. Not to mention that the wipers sit lower than the defrosts for the windshield so there are days where the wipers never really get warmed up enough to melt the ice off them.

It has never been an issue for me either.... I don't use often either... keep topped off though

Any vehicle I've ever owned: keep pouring until I can see the liquid, put cap on and done. Never an issue.

I use the stuff like crazy in my Alaska and Minnesota vehicles, never use water and just fill it right to the very top, a little over fill dribble isnt going to hurt anything.

It does have a narrow neck and its pretty huge. Most of my cars I've had are like that. When its empty on my truck, I go to walmart and buy the generic wiper fluid and it usually takes almost the entire gallon. When I used to work at the dealer,we were instructed to just use water for the washer fluid reservoir and also.... wait for it.... the coolant reservoir!

Also, not to threadjack, but anyone use the Rain-x stuff for their wiper fluid? I ask because the CX-5 has a low windshield wiper fluid sensor and some people have had problems with using Rain-x and having it contaminate the sensor.

Last edited:
Ha ha. Measuring dipstick is very hard to read.
However, like others said, just fill it all the way up and close.

Let me start out by saying I know this is a silly complaint and minor, but also that's because I have found very few things to complain about on the CX-5 which is a good thing. The other complaint was the poor trunk light which was useless, but fixed by LED replacement.

Ok so I used my wiper spray this morning to help clean my windows and got a wiper fluid low indicator. When I got home today I decided to fill it up. Now I don't really use anything fancy unless maybe I am going up to the snow, so usually just water. Well I pop the top and try to find the reservoir to see the fill line, but don't see one. Oh well, I put a bottle in, than another, than another. It doesn't seem to be getting even close to full. I finally pull the lid off and see the dip stick attached to it to see the water level. Well it's a clear liquid, going down a wet tube, so even after drying it off, dipping it, and lifting it back out, it was hard to see the actual level. Couple more bottles of water (i am refilling the bottle, not actually using bottled water), I check again. I figure the small boxes are suppose to be filled with water and see I am still a few off. Wel I get up to 8 bottles and there is still 2 empty squares. I put in the 9th and all of a sudden the water stops pouring and realize i way over filled it.

Maybe I should be using actual wiperfluid to help determine the levels and get a reading, but usually water has worked for me along with clean blades. Just curious if this has been a small annoyance for anyone else.

Yes, I would recommend against using just plain water in your WW bottle.

Water gets moldy/mildew.
Water can freeze in the system, cracking the bottle, pump, or nozzles in cold weather.
Water can freeze onto the window when sprayed in cold weather/
Water does not show up easily on your WW dipstick.

I actually like the design, and appreciate the fact that it is located as close to the ground as possible for better weight placement and vehicle handling.

Here in California it is very hard to find WW Fluid with anti-freezing properties.

I did not even know that there is a LOW WASHER FLUID indicator on the dash? Always learning!

The reservoir in my Trans Am's was shaped like the double-sump fuel-tank in a Corvette. You fill it up, and over a few minutes it equalizes, you fill it up some more...THAT was annoying.

I did not even know that there is a LOW WASHER FLUID indicator on the dash? Always learning!

It's more of a message than pops up. You know where it shows the avg mpg, distance of car, etc? It's a text message that pops up there saying "Low Windshield Fluid!"

I had a car that took a little less than a gallon, that's stupid. The low washer fluid warning light in my CX 5 is obnoxious. It comes on when low and I change the view back to current MPG, then I hit a bump or go over a small hill and it comes on again. Over and over until I add some.

I had a car that took a little less than a gallon, that's stupid. The low washer fluid warning light in my CX 5 is obnoxious. It comes on when low and I change the view back to current MPG, then I hit a bump or go over a small hill and it comes on again. Over and over until I add some.

happens to me all the time with my LOW ENGINE OIL LIGHT. maybe we should keep our fluids topped? lol

It's more of a message than pops up. You know where it shows the avg mpg, distance of car, etc? It's a text message that pops up there saying "Low Windshield Fluid!"

OK, since that dash is only on the GT model, I now wonder if the Touring and Sport trims have a low level indicator?
It appears that they all have a sensor. (#3 in the diagram below)

5470296.gif

Last edited:
OK, since that dash is only on the GT model, I now wonder if the Touring and Sport trims have a low level indicator?
It appears that they all have a sensor.

My 2013 touring has a dedicated washer fluid warning light on the dashboard. When it illuminates I can pour an entire gallon in with plenty of room to spare.

My 2013 touring has a dedicated washer fluid warning light on the dashboard. When it illuminates I can pour an entire gallon in with plenty of room to spare.

Perfect! Thank you! That is what I was curious about... I have never allowed mine to get that low yet on my CX-5's.

Its tucked in which is nice and has a large capacity. I like that! I have never used the dipstick. Just fill it to the top and go on.

Back