A/T tyres

paul_s0

:
Mazda 2 Sport
Folks, although this may be slightly odd, but does anyone know if 205/60 R15 (or 185/65 R15) will fit on a standard 2 (standard springs/dampers/15" alloys) without scrubbing? I'm asking as down here in lovely Lima I'm now having to do more driving on terrible surfaces, huge holes, dirt, gravel, etc. I'm looking at the possibility of an A/T tyre to try and help (slightly higher, stronger, and better able to cope with the muddy bits). I know it's going to lengthen the gearing about 7% and have a lot more sidewall. I used to do a lot of navigational rallies before moving to Peru, and am quite accustomed to my daily driver having knobblies and a sumpguard.

My two main concerns are if it will physically fit without rubbing, and if it will be able to cope with the gearing (particularly when I have to travel for work, it includes a climb from sea level to over 4000m asl, and at that altitude the poor 2 really struggles with the standard gearing, let alone making it longer). I'm having to seriously consider a 4x4 (especially with a growning family), but I'd prefer not to give up the fun of the Mazda.

Last edited:
I was lowered on 185/65 snows and the car did fine, so rubbing shouldn't be an issue. I don't think gearing will be a huge issue either. As you said, its only 7 percent or so.

Perfect cheers, 185/65 is only about 5mm different from 205/60, although it'll obviously vary a bit from one tyre to another. Thanks!

Back