Goodbye, CX-5

Wether you are a Mazda or VW fan, I think we can all agree that at least something like this was not purchased (see below)
546b4c57edad2_-_pontiacaztekpr-0oj4pn-lg.jpg

That thing is nightmare fuel hideous....

Also they made a "Rally" version of this thing? WTF?

Rally version!? KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Reliable, and known to sludge like no other...

VW has since fixed that issue. Sounds like a lot of peoples comments on here are based on the older VW issues.

What are you going to tow your snowmobiles with?
I have a place to keep them up state where I ride, if I need to tow them back home, my GF's step dad has a Taco for that.

A few people that I know that has owned a VW GTI loved it until they get around 30K when they have to start to servicing the transmission. Do you plan on doing your own maintenance?

I always do my own maintenance, not to mention I have a 6-speed manual, not a DSG.

If my only criteria was to have fun, without going broke, I'd get a 2016 Mustang 5.0 GT ... 435hp.

That crossed my mind, but I needed to have good gas mileage and practicality. My friend has a 14' GT, it a very fun car, but when you need to haul anything more than two people, you're SOL.

Very interesting that I would find this thread. I am currently in the market for a new car and I am considering CX5 or Golf R DSG (same size as GTI). I know they are very different vehicles but I am looking for something smaller but yet practical and offers great driving dynamic with AWD. Of course over $10K price differential is also something I am carefully considering, on top of needing at least all season tires for R.

I would go for CX5 in a heart beat if they offered a bit more power (2.5T) and updated styling akin to CX3 or CX9. How are you finding interior space of GTI compare to CX5? This will be my daily driver so driving enjoyment is important...

The GTI definitely has less interior space than the CX-5, but that is to be expected for being in a different smaller class. However, I am still comfortable in the car, and I was able to haul home a BBQ grill from Lowes by folding the seats down. That is the beauty of a hatchback, you get a large area in the back once the seats are down. The GTI hugs you more when you're in it, it is not as laid back as the CX-5, but again, expected from a car in its class plus the trim level. I've been driving it for almost a week now and its been great, no complaints in traffic or open road. It'll give you have a huge smile on your face when you power through an off-ramp or on-ramp and feel your insides push to one side.

Oh forgot to mention 15 mirages are getting a 3500 factory rebate right now in preparation for the 17s. For anyone looming for a cheap new car with 10 yr warranty and 55mpg.

VW has since fixed that issue. Sounds like a lot of peoples comments on here are based on the older VW issues. ]

Well, they're still valid points because they ran a lot of people off from ever buying again, much less even considering a VW, or even Audi...

I mean I'd still take an old air cooled VW, but that's about it.

Last edited:
I am looking for a more subdued styling and automatic.

For Mazdas- test drive a Mazda3 2.5 hatchback. Outside of the Miata its literally Mazda's most dynamic car right now, comes in auto, has a hatch, low cost of ownership.

VW has since fixed that issue. Sounds like a lot of peoples comments on here are based on the older VW issues. ]

Well, they're still valid points because they ran a lot of people off from ever buying again, much less even considering a VW, or even Audi...

I mean I'd still take an old air cooled VW, but that's about it.

Every car has its issue, some more than others. Like I've said before, I do my own maintenance and repair work, and I don't mind getting my hands dirty. A lot of issues that arise can be related back to how the car was taken care of since new.

Every car has its issue, some more than others. Like I've said before, I do my own maintenance and repair work, and I don't mind getting my hands dirty. A lot of issues that arise can be related back to how the car was taken care of since new.
I do my own repair work as well. If I can build and tune a 400+ hp 4 cylinder, I'm pretty sure I can handle routine maintenance. I'm not basing my judgement of VW off some internet reviews, it's based on real world ownership by myself and friends and family, all having the same problems from a VW car. The R is a sweet car, but there's better cars out there for the money, both performance and reliability wise. Like stated, I'll still take an old air cooled VW anyday, and I'll leave that R behind as well. To each their own...I hope your new VW treats you well...

My girlfriend has a 15' Jetta, Mexico built, and it has absolutely zero rattles. Her car is actually why I even considered a GTI, it felt very well built. Originally I was looking at a Focus ST, but too many horror stories of transmission issue, charge pipes coming off, and the crappy interior for the base model.

You dodged a bullet. The Focus I had was a nightmare with neither Ford or the dealership giving a damn about making it right. I will never spend another penny on a Ford product if I can help it.

I'm about to sell my CX5 and take a pretty big financial hit as well. I just don't like the vehicle. The GPS is a joke, bluetooth is beyond frustrating, the squeaking and rattling is annoying, radio reception is a joke, uncomfortable seat, lowbeams are horrible, and on and on and on.

Overall it has been a reliable car that drives well but to many small issues are adding up and I am starting to hate driving it.

Enjoy the VW they are nice little cars.

the squeaking and rattling is annoying, radio reception is a joke, uncomfortable seat, lowbeams are horrible, and on and on

I've got HIDs so no issues there... what year CX-5 do you have?

No squeaks or rattles in mine. How many miles on it?

You dodged a bullet. The Focus I had was a nightmare with neither Ford or the dealership giving a damn about making it right. I will never spend another penny on a Ford product if I can help it.

I'm about to sell my CX5 and take a pretty big financial hit as well. I just don't like the vehicle. The GPS is a joke, bluetooth is beyond frustrating, the squeaking and rattling is annoying, radio reception is a joke, uncomfortable seat, lowbeams are horrible, and on and on and on.

Overall it has been a reliable car that drives well but to many small issues are adding up and I am starting to hate driving it.

Enjoy the VW they are nice little cars.

Thanks for bringing up the Radio Reception. I made a thread about this with few complaints so either most are fine with mediocre reception or listen to satellite/internet radio.

It's amazing how in a metropolitan area it can be so weak

I said exact same thing to my friends who were questioning me why I kept getting the VW's during my younger years... :)

Yeah, but you said the SR8 is tickling your fancy.... Think you'll pull the trigger?

That's a few years off, so who knows, and SRT products are typically robust as hell. Even my friends who drove SRT4 Neon's with 400+whp powershifting them on slicks had to make literally hundreds of passes before they broke anything.

I am sorely tempted to pay my CX-5 off, pay my land off, and THEN buy something fun, and by then, who knows what's out?

I only took just under a 3k hit on my 15 cx5 with 30k miles when I traded it in on my 15 Durango. Had I not been upside down on my previous car would of broke even. The cx5 holds its value fairly well I think. I got 20k trade in on my cx5 when I traded it in.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Back