Random Start Problems (now completely stuck)

ChaoSki

Hi,

I have a 2001 Protege 2.0 and past # of months I've been having these random start issues. Car will crank the turn, but won't actually start.

20-30 min later, it starts fine. It's been happening once a month for past 3-4 months.

YEsterday, it wouldn't start at all. Keeps cranking and cranking. I tried jumping it but it's a no go.

I did notice that the ground wire coming off the battery is REALLY rusty where it attaches to the wheel well. So I'm going to sand it down/ get the rust off and clean it up.

But I'm getting a feeling that won't solve the issue. Seems like I'm not getting fuel delivered?

After doing some research it seems like I should start at the Fuel Relay and then check the fuel pressure? What's the easiest way to do this. I can rent the gauge from Autozone, but just wondering where I should hook it up (easiest spot).

I also found that these cars have some issues with the fuel pump area lines leaking or fuel pumps not working.

I will be checking to see if the fuel pump is working today (turn the key to on position and listen correct?). I will also feel if the relay is clicking (possibly swap it with AC one?)

Just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions or advice.

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE:
Cleaned off Battery Terminals and also metal brushed/sanded the ground connection on top of the wheel well (there was rust build up there).

I also took out Fuel Relay and noticed it 2 prongs had little rust/moisture/build up on it. So I took a toothpick/paper towels and cleaned the prongs and the holes which they go into.

I have the Fuel Pressure Gauge on stand by when and if the issue comes up. So far it's been fine.

PS. I will also need a new battery. Mine is over 6 years old.......

Last edited:
Fuel pump relay is what fixed my non-start and stalling issues. They can be had for $30-40.

I'm gonna see if it clicks today and swap it with another one. Need to figure out what's wrong before I throw money at this thing......car served me well but the age is slowly getting better of it.

Only 100k miles on her too.......

With mine, just because it was clicking it didn't mean it was good. The FPR would malfunction when it reached a certain temp.

With mine, just because it was clicking it didn't mean it was good. The FPR would malfunction when it reached a certain temp.

I think that's exactly what's happening. It always starts fine (never not started) upon cold start. Once it's warm/I stop at a store or something, come back.....that's when it acts up.

Then 30 min -1 hour later it's fine again.

I have a feeling it will start when I pick her up too........

Here's the thread I started that chronicles my frustration:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847050-P5-Won-t-Start-amp-Rough-Idle&highlight=

I hope yours is something simple like the FPR. Electrical issues can be a headache to pinpoint. Wish all my issues were mechanical :)

Thanks you! Your first post is exactly what's happening with my car. For past 2-3 years, random hesitation/stumbling....and then this problem came.

Hope they are related and both addressed with the FPR :)

I will report back as soon as I can get to my car hehe

Last edited:
Thanks you! Your first post is exactly what's happening with my car. For past 2-3 years, random hesitation/stumbling....and then this problem came.

Hope they are related and both addressed with the FPR :)

I will report back as soon as I can get to my car hehe

Has your car stalled while driving? Once mine started doing that regularly, I had to bring it in to the dealer since I transport my one-year-old. Can't take that chance. I was ready to sell the vehicle because I had spent too much time and money on it. I'm glad the dealer was able to replicate the issue. And I had ruled out the FPR since we tested it separately...didn't think to test it after the car had been running a while.

Yea, but usually stalls while stopped at a light. But VERY random/rare. From time to time it will misfire and throw a general misfire code.

UPDATE: Went to get the car and she started on 2nd try. Drove her home.

I called a friend that works at Mazda and he was able to talk to one of the mechanics.

He recommended: Cleaning battery, cleaning the rust off wheel well ground bolt.

- Check fuel pressure when the problem occurs, check pressure after shutdown (for leaks, if there is significant drop)
- Most likely causes are Fuel Relay, MAF or Fuel Pump

Off to Autozone for meter and I need to figure out how to tap into the system. Any advice on this?

UPDATE:
Cleaned off Battery Terminals and also metal brushed/sanded the ground connection on top of the wheel well (there was rust build up there).

I also took out Fuel Relay and noticed it 2 prongs had little rust/moisture/build up on it. So I took a toothpick/paper towels and cleaned the prongs and the holes which they go into.

I have the Fuel Pressure Gauge on stand by when and if the issue comes up. So far it's been fine.

PS. I will also need a new battery. Mine is over 6 years old.......

Yeah, I guess. Autozone or advance will test your battery, starting, and charging system for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, was going to take her to Autozone but had other car trouble/and roof leak. Fixed now so I can focus on her again.

Battery test wouldn't hurt....

Back