2013 CX-5 GT AUDIO/infotainment firmware/updates/tweaks

poshea

:
Mazda CX-5 GT 2013
Hi. I have the 2013 Mazda CX-5 GRAND TOURING model (running TomTom NB1). I've been searching for info on updating or modifying the cars radio/infotainment system but have found nothing so far.

My first issues are:

1. SMS/Text cannot be downloaded when connected via Bluetooth.
2. Operational concerns when playing a media device (iPod, USB stick etc.) connected via the USB port.
a. After the ignition is turned ON, it takes a long time to load all the data from the device before starting playback. Depending on the data volume, it can take up to several minutes.
b. After the ignition is turned ON, the playback always starts from the first track. It does not start from the last playing track/position when the ignition was turned OFF.
c. iPod Error message for the Apple IOS 8.0 or higher software on iPhone 4, 5, or 6.

I read about TSB 09-008/15 that resolves some of these problems. My car definitely has the old Bluetooth module. When I run the diagnostic and use code 38, it tells me I'm running HF soft version 06.03.000. I have read the new module runs v7.00.000. I also understand this is a physical hardware replacement. The TSB specifically relates to North America, and my service centre here in Australia indicated that Mazda Australia is aware of this issue, but they are unable to do anything. I've since emailed Mazda Australia direct on this and am still awaiting a response.

The other thing I'm curious about is the new features added to the 2014/15 model. They have a Pandora option as well as HD Radio. There is probably additional hardware required in the head unit for the HD RADIO, but the Pandora feature is most likely only an upgrade in the software/firmware. Would be cool if you could load the 2015/16 firmware on the 2013 model and add the Pandora feature!

It's strange that no one seems to have found a way to do firmware upgrades on this unit. The diagnostic menu does have a software update option: code 81
http://mr-fix.info/mazda-nb1-hidden-menu-tomtom-navigation/

Anyone out there have the firmware files for these TomTom NB1 head units or any info on possible modifications?

Anyone out there have the firmware files for these TomTom NB1 head units or any info on possible modifications?

Sorry.. I haven't seen any firmware. Fairly closed system that no one has found any hacks for so far ....unlike the system in current models.

You will want to obtain the newer BT module to mitigate some of the issues you are having though.

Turning off phonebook syncing will help speed things up greatly as well.

Last edited:
On an iPhone:

Settings -> Bluetooth --> Mazda --> Sync Contacts <----- Turn this off / Click on the circled "i" when at Mazda

Thanks Kedis82ZE8. Should be noted that turning off syncing contacts will mean you won't be able to make voice activated calls or scroll through your phone book on the cars system. I often use voice calling, so instead of disabling the contacts sync... I cleaned out my address book on my phone.... Turns out I had hundreds of contacts in there I didn't need. Just kept the ones I needed and use regularly, and this helped speed up the startup time a little.

Basically, it seems to take about 30secs to initialise the Bluetooth system, and then anywhere from 30secs to however many minutes to sync contacts. The less contacts, the faster the sync. And then once synced it fiiiiiinally starts playing music... Usually after your a couple of minutes into your trip.

I don't know what the designers of this system were thinking. The phone book should be downloaded once the first time you connect your phone and then stored locally on the car. The user could then choose to re-sync when they need to update add newer contacts to the car.

Bummer that no one has hacked into this firmware. So many tweaks and improvements could be made. The two things I'd love are:
1) Being able to name the Radio stations. Can't believe a modern car like this still displays the frequency rather than the station name.
2) Adding Pandora to 2013 model

If anyone comes across anything... Please post it here.

Thanks!

I have the same issues on a Mazda 6 2013 Europe. Especially annoying is that my HU does not resume USB tracks.
Are there any updates on this issue ?

Back