Security light flashing - car won't start. Stranded.

Ryandasan

:
Mazda CX-9
We have a 2009 Mazda CX-9. On vacation in Arizona and car won't start.

Red car-shaped light with key in the middle of it flashes every couple of seconds.

Any recommendations for how to get the car started again? I'm going to try disconnecting the battery and also replacing the battery in my fob (the remote lock hasn't worked for couple of months now).

Thanks!

Ryan

The red KEY light usually means that the key is not detected which is usually caused by a dead fob battery.
Replacing your fob battery "should" allow the car to start again.

You can ALWAYS start the CX9... Take the plastic cover off the ignition and remove the hard key from the fob.

Start the car the old fashion way....with a ��

You can ALWAYS start the CX9... Take the plastic cover off the ignition and remove the hard key from the fob.

Start the car the old fashion way....with a ��

Don't think that will work in this case. The battery was starting to go bad months ago, which is why he said the remote lock/unlock stopped working. Now that battery is completely dead and doesn't even have enough power to let the RFID chip tell the ECU it's an authorized key.

Good news is once you swap the fob battery the car should start right up.

Moral of the story, when your remote lock/unlock stops working swap that battery before you end up stranded.

Don't think that will work in this case. The battery was starting to go bad months ago, which is why he said the remote lock/unlock stopped working. Now that battery is completely dead and doesn't even have enough power to let the RFID chip tell the ECU it's an authorized key.

Good news is once you swap the fob battery the car should start right up.

Moral of the story, when your remote lock/unlock stops working swap that battery before you end up stranded.

Sorry, but Brucie66 is right. While it is good advice to replace the battery in the fob if it starts showing signs of failure, the mechanical key will always work--it has nothing to do with the remote fob. I just tried this--I left the fob in my house, out of range, and was able to start the car in my garage with the mechanical key alone. I can't say whether or not the mechanical key has an anti theft chip in it, but that technology has been around since the 90s, long before keyless ignition, and long before remote fobs were the norm.

Last edited:
Back