How to remove second row seat?

broham

:
Mazda CX-9
I just bought a 2011 CX-9 that has three rows. We have three kids so the plan is to place two of the kids in the second row on the 60 part of the 60/40 split. In the third row we would have only one seat up and another kid would go there.

Since the 40 part of the second row 60/40 split seats will always be down with this configuration I was toying with the idea of removing that seat completely from the car to free up some room.

I was curious if anyone knew how difficult this would be (am I just popping off a few bolts?). I'm also wondering if the car is designed to run like this - I have heard that in some cars it will display warning lights if the computer is hooked to the seat in some way and the seat is gone.

If anyone has any experience with this or any useful information I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

I don't think it was designed to be used this way. I could see the kiddo sitting on the inside sliding down between the seatbelt and the seat.

We will have our 3rd child in June so I was thinking the same thing. Let me know if it worked.

I just did this, removed both 2nd row seats from 2013 CX 9. Seats were easy to unbolt (7 out of the 8 came right out - the last one stripped) The sliding mechanism is left behind. Anyone know how easy it is to remove the slider? I left it for now and built a platform. There is also what looks like an Air conditioning vent in the floor that sticks up about an inch so I'm sure you don't want people stepping on those.

20160609_180207.jpg20160609_180332.jpg20160609_180527.jpg20160610_173138.jpg20160610_173149.jpg

I don't think the sliding down thing would be an issue since they are all in car seats.

good luck getting two car seats on the 60 portion without it overhanging to the 40 portion... unless you are using sub 17 inch car seats. I have 4 kids.... three in car seats. talk about a dilemma

Thank You!

I just did this, removed both 2nd row seats from 2013 CX 9. Seats were easy to unbolt (7 out of the 8 came right out - the last one stripped) The sliding mechanism is left behind. Anyone know how easy it is to remove the slider? I left it for now and built a platform. There is also what looks like an Air conditioning vent in the floor that sticks up about an inch so I'm sure you don't want people stepping on those.View attachment 214320View attachment 214321View attachment 214322View attachment 214323View attachment 214324

Just used your very handy pix to remove my second row and third row seats from the CX9 to make extra room for moving boy to school. Third row just involves removing the rear insert and then the bolts securing the seat to the floor. Just make sure you have the right socket size or you will strip the heads.

Just used your very handy pix to remove my second row and third row seats from the CX9 to make extra room for moving boy to school. Third row just involves removing the rear insert and then the bolts securing the seat to the floor. Just make sure you have the right socket size or you will strip the heads.

We're you able to remove the sliders in the second row? The images from the other person show them still in and if I remove my second row I would like them to be taken out completely. I would like to convert my CX 9 to a full on 4 seater and give more room to passengers and for hauling items

We're you able to remove the sliders in the second row? The images from the other person show them still in and if I remove my second row I would like them to be taken out completely. I would like to convert my CX 9 to a full on 4 seater and give more room to passengers and for hauling items

im about to attempt this myself. Did you get the sliders out?

I’m about to attempt it, I will probably have to chop the sliders off or figure out another way

Probably a nut on each end of the track, under the vehicle.

Thank You!

Did you ever figure out how to remove the rails?

Moderator edit: Please use the +Quote function to quote multiple replies in the same post instead of creating a new post for every quote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back