CX-4 Photos

Also not a fan of the chrome, in fact was just watching videos on plastidipping my shiny bits.
That said, I am loving the rims in the side by side shot. I thought I had outgrown spending money on replacement rims when my stock ones on the 2016 kind of look aftermarket already, but the ones in the shot look much beefier and more masculine or something.

Also not a fan of the chrome, in fact was just watching videos on plastidipping my shiny bits.
That said, I am loving the rims in the side by side shot. I thought I had outgrown spending money on replacement rims when my stock ones on the 2016 kind of look aftermarket already, but the ones in the shot look much beefier and more masculine or something.

plasti-dipping is addicting lol. I started with my rear badges. Went on to buy some cheap door sill scuff plates, did that. Next I did my roof rails. Now I got a rear bumper protector that matches the door sill scuff plates that I will do when they come in. Also contemplating plasti-dipping my chromebook.

http://indianautosblog.com/2016/03/mazda-cx-4-revealed-inside-out-spied-224015

"The crossover would be positioned between the CX-3 and the CX-5, as a sportier offering than the latter but with more practicality than the former. The Mazda CX-4 is expected to debut at the 2016 Beijing Auto Show in April and be launched in markets outside China in H2 2016."

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mazdas-koeruinspired-crossover-spied-again-in-china-91224.html

"The CX-4 is believed to ride on the same platform as the CX-5, and it will likely use the same engines. That means entry-level models will boast a 2.0-liter four-cylinder mill rated at 155 horsepower and 150 lb-ft. of torque, and more potent models will benefit from a 184-horsepower 2.5-liter four-banger. Buyers will likely be asked to choose between a six-speed automatic transmission and an enthusiast-friendly six-speed manual gearbox."

I wonder if they will offer the manual with AWD?

plasti-dipping is addicting lol. I started with my rear badges. Went on to buy some cheap door sill scuff plates, did that. Next I did my roof rails. Now I got a rear bumper protector that matches the door sill scuff plates that I will do when they come in. Also contemplating plasti-dipping my chromebook.

How well is the plasti dip holding up on door sills? I thought of doing the same but I thought painting them might actually be better

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Mazda-to-premiere-new-crossover-SUV-in-China

"Mazda's two Japanese plants have been operating at full capacity to keep up with strong demand for the company's SUVs and other vehicles. Given the difficulty of setting up production of a new export model at those domestic plants, the crossover SUV will be made and sold only in China for the time being. But the company will consider manufacturing and marketing the model in Japan and elsewhere down the road. It believes the new vehicle will have good potential in the U.S., Australia and other markets where large vehicles are favored."

Looks like the made-in-China is to serve Chinese market only, hopefully other markets will get the made-in-Japan version once they decide to give some Japanese capacity to the CX-4 (most likely shifting from CX-3 portion).

I wonder if they will offer the manual with AWD?

Regarding the combination of manual & AWD, is there a particular technical difficulty, or risk of breaking gearbox (e.g. driver shifting gear while AWD is engaged) , or unexpected AWD behavior? I feel like there're cases where the computer needs to control the gears in order to make the AWD works best.

Regarding the combination of manual & AWD, is there a particular technical difficulty, or risk of breaking gearbox (e.g. driver shifting gear while AWD is engaged) , or unexpected AWD behavior? I feel like there're cases where the computer needs to control the gears in order to make the AWD works best.

There's no technical difficulty with manual shift/AWD, Mazda is just meeting market preferences.

I hope they offer the CX-4 with AWD and the sweet little 2.0L engine!

I like it.

This is a frontal attack on Subaru at the price point if over all features parallel. If the CX-4 makes it to the NA market it will interesting to watch Subaru Love battle Mazda Zoom-Zoom.

Subaru owners with a brain, who like to drive and consider it a utility vehicle will end up in a Mazda I have no doubt. It probably would peel off a few BMW X1 potential buyers as well. But the groovy love, whirled peas, coexist, feel the Bern Subaru follower who names their cars will still be driving the oil burners I'm afraid. Oh well, LOL...

Last edited:
I like it.

This is a frontal attack on Subaru at the price point if over all features parallel. If the CX-4 makes it to the NA market it will interesting to watch Subaru Love battle Mazda Zoom-Zoom. Those Subaru owners with a brain, who like to drive, will end up in a Mazda I have no doubt. But the groovy, whirled peas, coexist, feel the Bern Sub followers will still drive the oil burners none the less.

Talking about Subaru, I kept reading from Subaru users about superior "ground clearance", like this one:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...-than-subaru-s-565801/index8.html#post5775178

According to specs, the 2016 Forester has ground clearance of 8.7" versus the CX-5 at 8.5". Does 0.2" really make that much difference?

According to specs, the 2016 Forester has ground clearance of 8.7" versus the CX-5 at 8.5". Does 0.2" really make that much difference?

No :) ... just an irrelevant spec in the grand scheme of things. If it was like 2" inches it would be something....nothing here though.

I find it funny the number of Subaru owners overly justifying their purchase. If it worked for them yesterday it should work for them today... upon next vehicle purchase perhaps expand their horizons and look at other automakers. I get the feeling many of them purchased Subarus on advertising alone. I didn't buy my CX-5 for it's AWD prowess but certainly glad to hear after the fact it isn't just some basic mediocre system.

Last edited:
How well is the plasti dip holding up on door sills? I thought of doing the same but I thought painting them might actually be better

pretty good so far. I'm about 3 weeks with it. I wear steel toe work boots and usually hit that door sill part getting in and out. I think it should hold up for quite awhile, but only time will tell. I bought some cheap $20 ones on amazon that had a a lip on it. i contemplated the OEM ones, but the price, color, and coverage didn't seem worth it.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Mazda-to-premiere-new-crossover-SUV-in-China

"Mazda's two Japanese plants have been operating at full capacity to keep up with strong demand for the company's SUVs and other vehicles. Given the difficulty of setting up production of a new export model at those domestic plants, the crossover SUV will be made and sold only in China for the time being. But the company will consider manufacturing and marketing the model in Japan and elsewhere down the road. It believes the new vehicle will have good potential in the U.S., Australia and other markets where large vehicles are favored."

It appears that this is just their opinion--nothing official from Mazda--and I certainly hope so. There are other "opinions" out there that suggest it will be available in the US in early 2017.

It appears that this is just their opinion--nothing official from Mazda--and I certainly hope so. There are other "opinions" out there that suggest it will be available in the US in early 2017.

I'd love to see it early in US in 2017, but definitely not made-in-China (I don't think their QA there qualifies to export into US anyway).

No technical barrier to manual AWD...part of the range in UK (I have one).

Press release seems to indicate they will display new-gen of CX-5? I seriously doubt it.

"The automaker's stand at the show will feature twelve vehicles, including new-generation models such as the Mazda3, Mazda CX-5, Mazda6, and race cars prepared for the Mazda-sponsored MZ Ruisi Racing Team competing in the China Touring Car Championship (CTCC)."

http://www.carnewschina.com/2016/03/09/spy-shots-mazda-cx4-is-naked-in-china/

I wonder if NA versions will be from China, Japan or Mexico?

"The car on the photos is the Chinese-made variant of the CX-4. It will be manufactured by the long running FAW-Mazda joint venture, based in the cold north eastern city of Changchun. Price will start at 159.800 yuan and end at 198.900 yuan."
Mazda should do some Chinese culture research before they're selling CX-"4" in China. Chinese people hate number "4" associated with their automobiles. In fact, Taiwan had banned any license plate number ending with a "4" many years ago as nobody wanted it. Chinese government had also followed suit and stopped issuing plate number ending with a "4". This is all superstition as the pronunciation of the "4" in Chinese is very similar to the Chinese character "death". Mazda really should name it CX-8 as "8" is the lucky number there.

Press release seems to indicate they will display new-gen of CX-5? I seriously doubt it.

"The automaker's stand at the show will feature twelve vehicles, including new-generation models such as the Mazda3, Mazda CX-5, Mazda6, and race cars prepared for the Mazda-sponsored MZ Ruisi Racing Team competing in the China Touring Car Championship (CTCC)."

By new-generation I think they mean the vehicles that have gotten the full sky-active treatment. Thus 3, CX5, 6, etc.

I think that's the concept from last year - note the different air dam from the latest images. There's far less chrome on the real car.

EDIT: I'm 80% sure that's a rendering. It's well done, but weird light transitions.

I think you are right. For one thing, I don't see a gas cap anywhere. Mazda puts it gas caps on the driver side, but this has nothing.

The other pictures - which are more likely real - are not very pretty. If the new car is like the red car, I could see myself trading in my CX-5 for this and a new CX-9. Getting a CX-9 for the wife regardless! (stash)

So the reports are that the CX-4 is indeed very similar to the red car shown and will be made and sold only in China. No USA. Makes sense as they may sell more cars in a month in China than they would in a year in the USA.

Back