CX-4 Photos

BambooBen

:
Mazda, CX-5, 2016 GT Tech
I know we had a thread a while back about a mystery Mazda crossover, but I couldn't find it.
Well not there are some new spy shots out and it has a cx-4 badge on the back:

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/03/new-mazda-cx-4-sports-crossovers-name.html

Mazda-CX-4-1.jpg

Mazda-CX-4-2.jpg

In the past 4 years. Mazda has managed to cram 10 lbs of CX s*** in a 5 lb bag.
Am I the only one here lost on this? I kind' feel like the CX-3 was a mistake. Now this? Seems like a very small niche. Thoughts?

Am I the only one here lost on this? I kind' feel like the CX-3 was a mistake. Now this? Seems like a very small niche. Thoughts?

At least the CX-3 outperformed sales expectation for Mazda in January:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mazda-reports-january-sales-300213645.html

I read reviews praising the CX-3 for its handling and AWD, but complained about it being cramped. The CX-4 might be a better fit, and the CX-3 can just fade out like CX-7 if the CX-4 takes over. Making a turbo version available among the options would make it a killer choice.

I like it. Looks like a CX-5 with a lower sitting position and a shorter roof.
All it needs is the 2.5L turbo AWD manual :)

Mazda-CX-4-1.jpg

This particular angle and the slimmer front makes it look like a predator (a big black cat?) stalking its prey, matching the KODO design better. I was wondering why the CX-5's front is a little big/thick (comparing to CR-V and RAV-4 with pointier front), but as I walked to the car the other night, at similar angle to the photo above, I realized the front looks like an animal: the eyes and the curve above it forms the head/shoulder, the grill and its lines look like a nose with whiskers. I think the slimmer CX-4's front looks closer to an animal head.

S-3jn-rMW9Ov5JlacSCKl1BjB-LhBzZnZA5keyY5m1kLRK7OgecV4F1NCAfvOfEDOkq6YtVZ0FdjrrG6OeOu2q5qlCwr-vakV23roD-OeB7EdI-EoRMzEj3BvxlDMFvCIp8skBY_FGNJ1sJ0jcdIixxB7u4EJwy5PZavxZDb3X-IVHj8ZCE0ytgQRgSTkFxC92T7udLkPWCSpFWSg_HOh2L9zPLNBxZWyQHKu5pPF2W8IhS-VDC0OAd2_Cwj_QPnDnJ4nfmszzz6SD7HnO8D6i7rN63TsCAEFP_9-AQcQyvqQBu329C2_H5wwfceYmgsuqGy8hLopqQ8kfArgJzvub8ISVzeqXioYkStjTTNUO1d1bymbtzCoNHa56EEL2ATkJurczNFgp5EmpUYIQh03rkTc7qD5arTgWA08Z3aC3eusT-H2r7UVer2RjqSdLFfKPNZBvIKh5Kso9sCOwEDqhLAn5-mabOv3GmDub_8wLgmxNeBwuh87q4a5sE3ihCAhbh4YNus1LoZRCeyBTViRoxm9KWpCsU5IJ6xFZdIcsLOt5jrSyJ6Jh6NrnsWoRo8xkVY=w800-no

maxresdefault.jpg

Mazda, FFS just sell the Mazda6 wagon.................. Honda tried this with the Crosstour lol

TBH though I would love to have something in between the Mazda6 and the CX5. The CX3 is a total letdown.

Damn! This is exactly what I would have preferred back in 2012 when I (reluctantly) chose the "too tall/chunky CX-5 over the "too small/outdated Mazda 3. CX-4 looks to be more "Audi All-road/A4 Avant". Just may be my next purchase. 2017 availability gives me plenty of time to change out the H&Rs back to stock springs and find a new home for someone who thinks being able to see over the roof of a Civic somehow makes them safer!

I think the cx5 front looks better and that lame bar across the end is a letdown.

Damn! This is exactly what I would have preferred back in 2012 when I (reluctantly) chose the "too tall/chunky CX-5 over the "too small/outdated Mazda 3. CX-4 looks to be more "Audi All-road/A4 Avant". Just may be my next purchase. 2017 availability gives me plenty of time to change out the H&Rs back to stock springs and find a new home for someone who thinks being able to see over the roof of a Civic somehow makes them safer!

I was just talking to a friend this week who's on the fence between a 3 and a CX-5. This would fill that spot.

At least the CX-3 outperformed sales expectation for Mazda in January:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mazda-reports-january-sales-300213645.html

I read reviews praising the CX-3 for its handling and AWD, but complained about it being cramped. The CX-4 might be a better fit, and the CX-3 can just fade out like CX-7 if the CX-4 takes over. Making a turbo version available among the options would make it a killer choice.

Turbo AWD CX-4 would be the choice of many.

This has the same wheel base as the CX5, but is about 2 inches longer, about 2 inches wider and about 5 inches lower--kind of like an Outback, but "Mazda CEO Masamichi Kogai recently told Autonews that the production version of the concept would provide “more driving pleasure” than the brand’s other crossovers. Given that the CX-5 scores well in the handling department, it sounds like the CX-4 will be the kind of car you’d enjoy behind the wheel."

I'd much prefer a 6 Wagon, but this just might be the closest thing to a wagon I'm going to find at a reasonable price (the Golf Wagon is too small for my needs) and who knows maybe it will have the turbo 2.5 as an engine based on Kogai's comment.

wow.. placing it next to the CX-5 suddenly makes the CX-4 look really bad. way too much bling and shiny bits on the CX-4
I would agree that the grille "wing" (or whatever it's called) is a bit much, but the stance of the CX-4 is ever-so-much-more pleasing to my eye than the upright 5. And this is one Mazda where Soul Red may not be the best color!

Back