Key Fob Cleaning The Easy Way... NOT!

CX5T Lover

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Here I was in the computer room pounding away on the keyboard a few days ago when I heard muttering (and other language), coming from my wife. (bang)

So I ask her... "What's the matter", to which she answered... "Can't find my keys". (confused)

My response to that was... "Have you looked everywhere"?

After getting the old evil eye she sighed "Yes". (rolleyes)

"Well you know", I said looking at her, "You'll most likely find them the last place you look... so why don't you look there first". (unamused)

Ahhh... guys. Don't ever trifle with a woman who's late for her hair appointment when she can't find her keys. Take it from me... the aftermath of your comment ain't a pretty sight. (blowup)

To calm the situation down I handed her my key fob/keys... and off she went. Once she left I started looking everywhere she usually puts (loses) them, ie: kitchen counter top, dining room table, living room coffee table, easy chair end table, master bead room dresser top, her other pocketbook, etc.

I even went as far as looking in the kitchen refrigerator... but even she isn't that (braindead to place them there.

After exhausting all her well known places, I decided the only two spots I hadn't looked were the clothes washer and dryer. Well, the dryer came up empty, but upon looking into the washer... (wow) there it was.

Upon removing the key fob/keys water began to run/dribble out. I popped open the case (as though I was replacing the battery), took out the battery itself and sprayed the unit with a can of computer air. I had a couple of bags of "Silica Gel Desiccant" handy so I placed everything into a small air tight container and left it over night.

The results: Her key fob seems to be working perfectly ok (cool) but I would think there's a easier and less costly way (if you have to replace the unit) to clean the fob.

CX5T Lover

P.S. I, on the other hand, have a small wire mesh basket sitting in the computer room where I keep my key fob/keys, wrist watch, ring, wallet, reading glasses, etc. Haven't lost/misplaced anything yet... knock on wood.

Congrats on finding it and on the fact that it still works after it went through the wash!

Do you know what cycle it was on? Front or top load?

I had quite a few times leaving electronic stuffs in the washer, or soda/food spilled on them (being a tech I get to fix many of them). Most of the times the voltage/current are low enough to not short circuit (around 3-5V), but to prevent corrosion, I always disassemble them to clean the circuit board with rubbing alcohol (90%) or sometimes even have to wash under running water (of course, remove power supply).

I think it mostly comes down to cleaning the chemical/food, then make sure it's dry (hair dryer is quite effective, not too hot though). I once had to fix an iPhone got soaked with rain water. The owner didn't know how to open it up, just blew the hair dryer through the charging port and SIM slot, and left it in a rice jar for 2 days, and still couldn't turn it back on. I had to open it up, blew the hair dryer across the PCB for about 7 minutes (on low heat), and it's back.

I'm trying to figure out how yrwei52 is going to turn this into a negative attribute of the CX-5. This will require some creativity but I have confidence he can figure it out.

I had a similar situation. Due to various reasons I had to take out the hidden key, use it and then the key was dropped in a puddle of muck. Could not clean it well and put it back in. Within 3 days I noticed a patch in my overcoat pocket where I keep the fob. Took it out and realized there's oil, muck, dust everywhere. I had to take everything apart, clean it with 50% ISO, leave it overnight, etc., etc. and put everything back in. Worked - perfect.

Just to note - I had dropped my friend's Audi key fob on countertop where there was a film of oil and it did get soaked a bit. Did the exact same thing but nada - had to buy a new one.

Back