FMIC Help

Oxinatah

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
Hey guys,
Trying to find an FMIC to install in my '03 MSP. I currently have an ebay kit due to someone from a long time ago from a mazda forum and very much regretted it. Ideally I don't want to lose the fogs, and I'd rather not cut up the car if I don't have to. There was a Hiboost kit where it was straight up bolt-on and I'd love to find something like that. I'm just trying to figure out which Core/piping to get and the routing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You can easily make the ebay FMIC kit work without having to cut the bumper. You will most likely have to cut a little bit of thin metal behind the bumper but it won't be visible from outside the car and hardly visible under the hood. Good luck finding a name brand FMIC kit these days, and even used they are pricey. CX Racing makes a kit for our cars now

Small ish piping can fit around he fog buckets and presumably stock fogs if you dont cut the crash bar and stick to a smaller core. 24x6 ish core. If you do cutthe crashbar and suck the intercooler up a good 2", you can run up to a 9" core without dropping under the rad support. Easiest hotpipe route is under the rad support but cutting a hole next to the rad is not a big deal.
You can do the same on the driver side to avoid the cai routing which messes with your fogs ect. There are certainly ways to do it without kodification but none are ideal. Your best bet is to try to find a hiboost or corksport for bolt on. I wouldnt be too afraid of modding the crashbar or any of the front end. You are literally just cutting a small opening in a non load bearing part of the front end. Just tuck the power steering line out of the way and its all good.
If you ever sell it and dont wanna sell with fmic just get a crashbar from the junkyard.

I made mine fit with out losing the fogs I put both the hot and cold side pipes thru where the stock intercooler went if I knew how to post pics in here I would show u

Not bad. The turbo is about the size of a sand dollar. (lol2)

A lot of people are forced to go FMIC because the MSP radiator is small, plastic and hard to find. I don't think anyone makes a bolt-on radiator for our cars, so to replace the radiator, you need a bigger one from a P5 or something, then the stock intercooler wont fit anymore so...yeah. There's a front mount on most MSPs these days.

Hopefully someone can enlighten me and link an aluminum radiator that works with a stock MSP.

Mishimoto has been making a full size aluminum radiator for the protege for about 4 years now, but the AWR/Ron Davis is the only one that works with a stock SMIC. There is good reason why most people go FMIC

Back