2016 Toyota Scion uses Mazda Infotainment System & Dash!

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
Just saw a 2016 Scion and it had the same screen and Infotainment system setup. It was 100% identical.

Even the dash layout is similar to a Mazda 2.

What's going on?

Did Mazda outsource to Toyota?

Is the Scion just a rebadged Mazda 2?

2016-scion-ia-first-drive-11.jpg

Last edited:
The Scion iA soon to be renamed to some sort of Toyota product is a rebadged Mazda 2. Been out for quite some time now I think...

Scion as a separate company is being devolved. I would expect its top sellers to inherit the Toyota badge.

Yes, the Scion IA is a Mazda 2 and the Scion IM is a Toyota Auris from Europe. Both come out last year. Scion is trying to appeal to a broader customer. I have not heard anything about Scion being devolved by Toyota. The Scion Tc and FR-s are still maintaining sales. Both are nice cars for the money, though I think they are starting to overprice them. I had a 05 Scion Tc and was very please with it and it was only 17,500.

Last edited:
Yes, the Scion IA is a Mazda 2 and the Scion IM is a Toyota Auris from Europe. Both come out last year. Scion is trying to appeal to a broader customer. I have not heard anything about Scion being devolved by Toyota. The Scion Tc and FR-s are still maintaining sales. Both are nice cars for the money, though I think they are starting to overprice them. I had a 05 Scion Tc and was very please with it and it was only 17,500.
The shocking move comes as Scion was in the midst of a product renaissance and is characterized as a "leap forward for Toyota," according to the automaker.

Scion enters the graveyard of defunct brands that include Mercury, Oldsmobile, Saab and Saturn.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/scion-comes-to-end-of-the-road.html

Thanks for the link, I didn't know that. Looks to me Toyota is going to absorb some models and end some. They were always Toyota's anyways.

Last edited:
I actually like the blue background on the infotainment screen better than our red...blahhh.

Scion was fairly dormant for a long while, then Toyota just outsourcing it. It was an interesting idea when new but they didn't follow through... I suspect the sales numbers just weren't enough to impress a giant like Toyota internally.

I think the Infotainment setup is kind of generic. I saw a car ad on TV last night and the infotainment setup was exactly the same as Mazda. Not sure what the car was but it wasn't Scion. There's probably an electronics manufacturer that provides the system to a lot of different car manufactures. They may tweak the display a little bit but it's basically the same technology.

From that link:

"Toyota is eliminating Scion, a quirky brand aimed at the coveted youth market, the automaker confirmed on Wednesday. Several 2017 Scion vehicles will be rebadged as Toyotas starting in August. They are the Scion FR-S coupe, Scion iA sedan and Scion iM hatchback."

Wow. This has to be good for Mazda. Toyota is ten times the size of Mazda, and if they are rebadging Mazda's, then Mazda's sales will go through the roof. Guess Toyota knows a good thing when they see it. Mazda2 rebadged as Toyota iA. Zoom,zoom!

Mazda sells are already way has higher than past years. No facts I just see a ton on the road.

Sent using Moto Fo Sho Doe

Just a different perspective: in Vietnam, the CX-5 tops the CUV segment of 2015, beating the second-place CR-V by a wide margin. The first two months of 2016 is already promising for Mazda, too. Note that these are cars assembled at factories in Vietnam for those Honda, Toyota, Mazda, ...

Honda is pushing out a slight upgrade for CR-V over there to fight back, but one interesting note is that the CX-5 has only been available with 2.0L version. With the 2.5L will be available shortly, I think Honda is not going to have an easy win.

Back