AWD system, tyre profile difference over the axles?

OK, well answer me this then. If a new car didn’t have the tires rotated until the recommended interval of 7500 miles (or whatever it should be) and by that time the fronts had worn to 5.5mm and the rears to 8mm, would you expect the safety systems to have stopped working properly?

It seems like you're trying to split hairs here.

Mazda has already answered that question for you. If you notice uneven wear before the rotation schedule, you should rotate them sooner. Otherwise DSC will not function normally.

Seems pretty straight-forward to me.

Last edited:
It's not my opinion, it's Mazda's.

Let's look at your opinion. I'm guessing you don't see anything wrong with this vehicle I came across at the local Ski Area. After all, it obviously made it there so everything must be functioning normally, right?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You might notice something missing in the third photo. Now this won't cause any of the safety systems to "reject" that wheel so everything must be normal, huh? (rofl2)

Well spotted Mike, I would never have seen the odd lug nut ;-)

It seems like you're trying to split hairs here.

Mazda has already answered that question for you. If you notice uneven wear before the rotation schedule, you should rotate them sooner. Otherwise DSC will not function normally.

Seems pretty straight-forward to me.

Fair enough.

BTW I'm going to look at a CX-5 on Friday with a 2.2 diesel and 310ft/lbs of torque. Get you some of that!

Last edited:
I just thought about something; a great great grand mother of mine came from Ireland. I wonder if my ancestry is UK or Republic...Mike have you ever driven/ridden in western Europe by the way?

I was born in Western Europe and traveled the roads in my parents VW Beetle (which we brought back to the States when we returned). But I wasn't old enough to drive the autobahn.

Well spotted Mike, I would never have seen the odd lug nut ;-)

I believe the odd lug nut is just an anti-theft nut (as if someone is really going to steal a bunch of steel wheels with tires showing mismatched treads). I doubt it.

I was pointing out in photo #3 the MISSING lug nut. Doesn't 4 out of 5 lug nuts work just the same as a full set? (rlaugh)

I believe the odd lug nut is just an anti-theft nut (as if someone is really going to steal a bunch of steel wheels with tires showing mismatched treads). I doubt it.

I was pointing out in photo #3 the MISSING lug nut. Doesn't 4 out of 5 lug nuts work just the same as a full set? (rlaugh)

Rip Mike.M

Shame man.

On another note, I wanted to know if anyone has used different spacers sizes for front and rear on 2015/16 CX-5 AWD. I want to use 25mm in front and 30mm at the back. Will this cause any issues at all.

I have decided to go the spacers route instead of going for a 245x50x19 tyres on the 7j rim. Maybe at a later stage I might try it, but for performance, fuel and ride quality I would wanna stick to stock.

My bad lol. I don't think he died. I didnt mean rip in the literal sense that he died. It's a saying (outie). Like "rip me, my engine got oil starved" (damaged a rod bearing last week)

My bad lol. I don't think he died. I didnt mean rip in the literal sense that he died. It's a saying (outie). Like "rip me, my engine got oil starved" (damaged a rod bearing last week)

This was funny BUT I howled at Kopites post. He grieved for a whole quarter second before getting down to business

This was funny BUT I howled at Kopites post. He grieved for a whole quarter second before getting down to business
Yeah, it looked abit suspect. So what is your take on it. Our guys in South Africa says the 245 are too wide for the 7j rim. I was thinking maybe 235/50 or 235/55, but they are too much off ito circumference.

My main suggestion was the spacers, 25mm in front and 30mm at the back. Will the differences in spacers have any issues on the AWD.

Please share some pics with guys having 20mm,25mm,30mm and 35mm.

I might just keep stock tyres for now.

Yeah, it looked abit suspect. So what is your take on it. Our guys in South Africa says the 245 are too wide for the 7j rim. I was thinking maybe 235/50 or 235/55, but they are too much off ito circumference.

My main suggestion was the spacers, 25mm in front and 30mm at the back. Will the differences in spacers have any issues on the AWD.

Please share some pics with guys having 20mm,25mm,30mm and 35mm.

I might just keep stock tyres for now.

I've got 20mm rear, 20mm front. H&R Track+ and like it. Part number 4065673

If you go 30 and 25, the outside edge of the stock wheels will be outside the fender a little, but you may like that look. I think 25 on the rear would be fine but I wouldn't go more than 20 on the front. Either way, the stock offset is way too tucked in and you will like the new stance. No problem for AWD or bearings, I had these spacers on my 2014 for over 100K miles and moved them to my 2017.

On the tires, the stock 225 are already pushing the limit on tire width for a 7" rim in my opinion. The tire section width is 9" and the tread width is about 8". If you put a 245 on the stock wheels, it will balloon out a little where the rim meets the tire. But people have done it.

If you want to go 245/50R19 to keep your circumference right, I would say ideally you need at least 8" and preferably 8.5" width wheels, because now the tire section width is probably close to 10" and tread width close to 8.5". Hope that helps.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG-0448.JPG
    IMG-0448.JPG
    800.3 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG-0442.JPG
    IMG-0442.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 261
Last edited:
I've got 20mm rear, 20mm front. H&R Track+ and like it. Part number 4065673

If you go 30 and 25, the outside edge of the stock wheels will be outside the fender a little, but you may like that look. I think 25 on the rear would be fine but I wouldn't go more than 20 on the front. Either way, the stock offset is way too tucked in and you will like the new stance. No problem for AWD or bearings, I had these spacers on my 2014 for over 100K miles and moved them to my 2017.

On the tires, the stock 225 are already pushing the limit on tire width for a 7" rim in my opinion. The tire section width is 9" and the tread width is about 8". If you put a 245 on the stock wheels, it will balloon out a little where the rim meets the tire. But people have done it.

If you want to go 245/50R19 to keep your circumference right, I would say ideally you need at least 8" and preferably 8.5" width wheels, because now the tire section width is probably close to 10" and tread width close to 8.5". Hope that helps.

attachment.php

attachment.php
Hi bigtex, thanks so much for your input, I really appreciate it. You say 20mm for the front, hmmm. Do you have pics from the front and back showing how flush or wide the wheel sits with the fender.

I'll definitely go for spacers now and upgrade to bigger rims and tyres when I am ready.

It's tough to get a good angle to show, but maybe this helps. I think 30 rear and 25 front would also look good, maybe better. It's only 4/10ths and 2/10ths of an inch wider than my setup. At 30mm each of your rear wheel outer edges would be about 1.2 inches further out than stock. I would rather get 19X8.5 wheels and 245 tires, but this helps until then.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG-0457.JPG
    IMG-0457.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 250
  • IMG-0458.JPG
    IMG-0458.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 257
  • IMG-0460.JPG
    IMG-0460.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Thanks for the pics mate, your car looks stunning I must say. 20mm looks nice when flush, I'll think I'll go 25 front and 30 back.

If I upgrade, then I'll go 245/45/20 et50 (-0.2%) or 245/40/21 et50 like OE and both 8.5" like you suggested.

Thanks again bud for your assistance

Anyone else that have a 25mm front and 30mm rear. Would like to see pics on how it looks.

Here in South Africa it costs R3000 for all 4 spacers, that's about $200 in US.

Back