Battery Suggestions?

Hi all!
2014 CX-5 Touring with ~27000 miles on the original battery. Looking to replace it before the summer Texas heat hits. What battery makers has everyone had good luck with?
Thx!
Bill

Thx Kedis82ZE8!
I saw that thread but wanted more input on other makers...Exide, Bosch, etc. I've heard good things about the Optima batts but as was pointed out in the thread there is not a direct replacement sized for the CX-5 battery tray/space. Being in S Texas we get brutal heat in the summer so I need a battery that will hold up when it gets hot. The Walmart and usual auto parts batts only last about 2 years. Willing to spend a little more to get a better, longer lasting battery.
Bill

Anything with a 3 year full replacement warranty that meets the specs should be okay. You won't find too many, if any, cheapos there.

Interstate lists 3 batteries including a Optima for the CX5. I have had good luck with there "30 month" battery. If there is a distributer near you try them. They often have "blems" and charge about half for them.

Hi all!
2014 CX-5 Touring with ~27000 miles on the original battery. Looking to replace it before the summer Texas heat hits.

I've never lived anywhere where it regularly gets much above 95F or 100F but wouldn't it make more sense to replace it AFTER the brutal summer heat? That way your new battery will have one less brutal summer under it's belt.

Of course if it's already toast you need a new battery now. But marginal batteries usually work better the hotter it is because the engine is easier to turn over and batteries put out more voltage when hot. Or is it because it's hell to be stuck somewhere with a dead battery when it's 120F out?

I agree with MikeM. My 2014T is doing fine on the original battery and expect another year or 2 or 3 out of it. If I was concerned about my battery, I would get it checked at AA before tossing it for no reason. Ed

Walmart Maxx - 3 Year Full Replacement Warranty, 5 Year Pro rate - made by Johnson Controls - its a quality battery. Theres only like 3-4 major manufacturers of batteries nowadays - everyone else just slaps their name on those batteries.

Thx for all of the replies! Good info.

What drives me to think about a preemptive replacement is that my experience with batteries in the Texas heat is that they tend to die without notice. If you happen to experience a slow crank one day by the next day you may be completely dead. Or it will be fine one day and then the next day nothing. And yes...experiencing a dead battery in the heat of summer down here is not fun! Soooo...I'm thinking of trying the Optima even though it sounds like I'll have to fabricate some kind of spacer to add to the battery tray to make it fit right. Red top Optima from Amazon is under $150.00 but damage in shipping and warranty replacement could be a problem. Batteries + Bulbs has the same red top for about $200 so that may be the way to go. Otherwise a step up (?) to an Exide or Bosch battery would be okay but the cost would be more. No one has any experience with the more expensive batteries?

keno1542: Looks like a good tester! Do you take PayPal?
Thx!
Bill

You need a Group 35. If you keep your current battery topped off with water (check it yearly in the spring) you will not have any summer heat issues. The OEM battery should last 4-5 years.

i bought an Optima from Amazon for my Miata. it lasted 2 years. Amazon would not accept a return for warranty, but they did refund my money. I thought I could get it warrantied at Batteries+, but they quit carrying Optima because of the warranty claims. The clerk said production was moved to Mexico and quality dropped. I would not buy an Optima battery, now.

It's running a Batteries+ battery for about a year. It starts.

i bought an Optima from Amazon for my Miata. it lasted 2 years. Amazon would not accept a return for warranty, but they did refund my money. I thought I could get it warrantied at Batteries+, but they quit carrying Optima because of the warranty claims. The clerk said production was moved to Mexico and quality dropped. I would not buy an Optima battery, now.

It's running a Batteries+ battery for about a year. It starts.

Yep, in 2007 Johnson Controls Closed it's optimum Battery plant that was just outside of Denver Colorado and moved all manufacturing of the brand to Mexico.

FYI, Johnson Controls produces a Number of Brand Name batteries that are made in the USA. EverStart, Interstate, Oreillys, Duralast, Energizer, Napa, Varta, just to name a few. If you get one with the higher warranties they are all good batteries. Personally, I get interstate or Everstart when ever possible. My wife works for Johnson Controls so we get a free battery each year if need be. I try to request those to brands the most

FYI, Johnson Controls produces a Number of Brand Name batteries that are made in the USA. EverStart, Interstate, Oreillys, Duralast, Energizer, Napa, Varta, just to name a few.

Since she works there, if you could get a complete list of Johnson Controls batteries made in the US, that would be a helpful/handy list to have at replacement time since I'm sure the various brand names are somewhat region dependent.

Thanks!

Optima batteries have always had a mediocre warranty vs cost ratio and they are not very good at honoring it. Unless you are frequently upside down, as in a stunt plane, I see no value in spending 3X a normal wet battery price with the same warranty. Just my way of doing my homework. Ed

First thing is to always consider manufacture's suggested spec for size and cold cranking amps.
After that look to what kind of duty you will be putting it through.

Stock vehicle: OEM equivalent. The only things you are upgrading for at this point are a heavier duty battery. Typically your major brands or even sometimes house brands are fine. (I have always used AC Delco and they have never let me down)

Stock Vehicle in extreme environments: A battery specifically suited for harsh environments is worth the extra money to have it last a bit longer.

Vehicle with electrical add-ons (wenches, larger audio systems): This is deep cycle territory, your Optimas. If you have the need to run a 1500W+ RMS audio system or have like towing equipment, wenches, exterior added lights, towing then this upgrade is a good idea.

As always remember your pro-rated warranties and core charges. A good battery under normal circumstances should last you a good 3 years if you take care of it. Some batteries I have had lasted 5 years+ but if you get 5+ years out of a battery consider it good. 3 years is playing it safely with the obvious environment restrictions. Here in FL my batteries last a good while.

Since she works there, if you could get a complete list of Johnson Controls batteries made in the US, that would be a helpful/handy list to have at replacement time since I'm sure the various brand names are somewhat region dependent.

Thanks!

Here's a link to a page that lists all batteries made by Johnson Controls:

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm#J

For the most part, the brands that you are familiar with are all made in the USA and shipped to regional Locations. The only exception might be in the far southwest, they might get batteries out of mexico, but even that I am un sure of as JCI has a manufacturing plant in Yuma AZ. There are several manufacturing plants across the US and since batteries are so heavy they don't ship far to make it to store shelves. The plants I can think off the top of my head are, Portland OR, Yuma AZ, St. Joe Missouri, Fort Wayne Indiana, Michigan, Florida, South Carolina, San Antonio, There's others that I'm missing but you get the general idea, they are spread out across the country and the ship to stores in the region.

Back