Mazdaspeed Bumper

Tw1g007

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hey, I'm doing some research on repairs, both cosmetic and mechanical. My current bumper is scratched to hell, chipped, and just worn out... I really like the look of the Mazdaspeed bumper. I was wondering if there was anywhere selling them (new). Also, I want to have fog lights, so I'm looking to mount some aftermarket fog lights too, so I'd appreciate suggestions there too.

Also, my suspension is pretty well screwed, and I wanted to lower it. So would it be more cost effective to get lowering springs and new shocks, or go Coilovers?

Thanks for the help guys.

Used market is your best bet and stay away from the poor-fitting aftermarket fiberglass ones. The OEM ones typically run 250-400 shipped depending on the condition. Might want to join the Protege Parts Facebook groups as they pop up there once in a while.

As far as suspension, you should also factor in what you would prefer your ride to be like. I personally use mine as a DD, so comfort is a heavy consideration. I opted for Tokico Blues and Tein springs. Cost me about $400 or so used. Coilovers will typically be a harsher ride, but if you don't mind that kind of thing, go for it.

Last edited:
Used market is your best bet and stay away from the poor-fitting aftermarket fiberglass ones. The OEM ones typically run 250-400 shipped depending on the condition. Might want to join the Protege Parts Facebook groups as they pop up there once in a while.

As far as suspension, you should also factor in what you would prefer your ride to be like. I personally use mine as a DD, so comfort is a heavy consideration. I opted for Tokico Blues and Tein springs. Cost me about $400 or so used. Coilovers will typically be a harsher ride, but if you don't mind that kind of thing, go for it.

Thanks for the advice. I daily mine as well so, I am hoping to preserve some ride comfort. Is that spring and shock combo bouncy at all, or does it feel like a slightly stiffer OEM?

As far as the bumper, I suppose used would be best as long as it's not beat to hell. I want to get a paintjob sometime in the future anyway, so I guess it really doesn't matter.

I second this combo for suspension. I have that same set up on my MSP and I have had about 4 different set ups in its life. I started with Tokico blues and Falken springs, then the Teins, then went to Ksport full coils and then back to the Blues and Teins, get the s techs I believe.

Is that spring and shock combo bouncy at all, or does it feel like a slightly stiffer OEM?

I would defintely say stiffer and more harsh than the stock P5 suspension, but it still maintains a very tolerable ride for me around town. It smooths out the fender gaps REALLY well. I believe I went with the S-techs as well.

20150620_192517_Night.jpg

Last edited:
I would defintely say stiffer and more harsh than the stock P5 suspension for sure, but it still maintains a very tolerable ride for me around town. It smooths out the fender gaps REALLY well. I believe I went with the S-techs as well.

20150620_192517_Night.jpg

That does look really good. I plan on keeping this car for a long time coming. I want to buy a daily and start to really dig into my Pro5. I'm talking engine rebuild, possibly boosting, in depth suspension. The works, because I want it to look amazing and be able to tear up a track/backroad... I'm currently looking into paints for it for when the time comes.

If you plan on keeping the P5 for awhile and plan on digging into the modding a lot I'd suggest investing in coilovers now. For DD use, shocks/springs are a solid choice, but if you want to get more involved with some AutoX or any other type of racing, having the adjustability is definitely worth it. Some better quality coils have adjustable dampening as well as height, but these obviously cost a good amount more than shocks and springs.

Hit up JpParts International on Facebook or instagram, has a fair amount of parts for 01-03 protege and protege5.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

They are around used, not new.............if you're lucky you might not even need to paint it........I need me some 22v tho........

needspaint_02.JPG

So the pro5 is going to live a long time as a daily, gonna try to snatch an NB MX-5 for summer fun. Going Tokico/Tein suspension. Posted in WTB for the stuff I'm looking to get. Hopefully somebody has a front bumper for me lol. I can't wait to get this car sorted out. It's gonna look hella nice.

So the pro5 is going to live a long time as a daily, gonna try to snatch an NB MX-5 for summer fun. Going Tokico/Tein suspension. Posted in WTB for the stuff I'm looking to get. Hopefully somebody has a front bumper for me lol. I can't wait to get this car sorted out. It's gonna look hella nice.
Look up Jp Parts international on facebook or instagram. Hes usually got the mazdaspeed bumpers and other protege parts

02 Mazda Protege5
2.0L 16Valve DOHC
Short Ram Air Intake
Stainless Steel Header
CrossDrilled Rotors
Dual 10" Rockford Fosgate Subs in ported Box
570Watt Clarion Amp
Clear Altezza Taillights
Xenon HID conversion kit
Pilot Fog Lights
This is my Second Protege

Back