How Much Sound-Deadening Material in CX-5? - Noise Level

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Motor Trend March 2016 issue has an article "Three Rows & A Baby Turbo" reviewing the new Mazda CX-9. There is this:

"The engine soundtrack isn't the only thing missing from the CX-9's cabin. There isn't much road or wind noise, either. Weight-saving measures in the structure (and the lighter engine) helped pull some 250 pounds out versus the last CX-9, and that gave Mazda's engineers some latitude to put back in extra sound-deadening materials. By comparison, the smaller CX-5 has just 9 pounds of sound-deadening material in the floor to the CX-9's 53 pounds. The CX-9 also has acoustic glass in the windshield and, for the first time in a Mazda, in the front side windows. The acoustic treatment reduces interior noise levels by the claimed 12 percent at the highway speeds compared with the outgoing CX-9."

Based on its press release, I thought Mazda had put "particular effort" to "enhance sound insulation performance throughout the body" on 2016 CX-5? The result was only 9 pounds of sound-deadening material in the floor on the CX-5? No wonder so many people are complaining the noise level in the cabin!

Hopefully Mazda will consider more sound-deadening materials and acoustic glass at least to the next generation CX-5 to reduce the noise level in the cabin.

It's a damn race-car. It doesn't NEED sound-deadening, and people in this forum would lose it if they added 40+ pounds of handling-killing sound-deadening material to it! There was already a thread on it. People went crazy at the idea.

It's a damn race-car. It doesn't NEED sound-deadening, and people in this forum would lose it if they added 40+ pounds of handling-killing sound-deadening material to it! There was already a thread on it. People went crazy at the idea.
Yeah, I'd followed that thread. But my point here is Mazda claimed in the press release for 2016 CX-5 that they had put "particular effort" to "enhance sound insulation performance throughout the body" for 2016 CX-5, and "the result is greater ride comfort and cabin quietness that makes time spent in the vehicle more pleasant".

But 9 pounds of sound-deadening material (assuming there is zero sound-deadening material in pre 2015 MY) is all we got to achieve cabin quietness? Must be some super-light sound-deadening material invented by Mazda engineers!

I'd rather lose 9 pounds of my weight to exchange another 9 pounds of sound-deadening material and keep the Zoom-Zoom feeling!

I guess I shouldn't trust Mazda's press release too much. Like "Mazda's renowned AWD system is also updated and real-world fuel economy improved", and I simply can't see it from our AWD CX-5!

Yeah, I'd followed that thread. But my point here is Mazda claimed in the press release for 2016 CX-5 that they had put "particular effort" to "enhance sound insulation performance throughout the body" for 2016 CX-5, and "the result is greater ride comfort and cabin quietness that makes time spent in the vehicle more pleasant".

But 9 pounds of sound-deadening material (assuming there is zero sound-deadening material in pre 2015 MY) is all we got to achieve cabin quietness? Must be some super-light sound-deadening material invented by Mazda engineers!

I'd rather lose 9 pounds of my weight to exchange another 9 pounds of sound-deadening material and keep the Zoom-Zoom feeling!

I guess I shouldn't trust Mazda's press release too much. Like "Mazda's renowned AWD system is also updated and real-world fuel economy improved", and I simply can't see it from our AWD CX-5!

I think I made that same argument about losing some gut and putting in some sound-deadening material, but it was quickly shot down BECAUSE RACE CAR!!!!

Really though, I think most owners of that mindset are middle age guys with kids who are stuck in a suckwagon and just want to kid themselves about their actual situation.

At least your 2016 have 9 pounds, my 2015 cx5 noises are crazy when driving on highway. It is not fully race car, it just drive that way. Most people buy it for family small suv, that is why Mazda wants to add more sound deadning things in the CX-9. I might trade in cx5 for cx9 next year, I been busy working lately and racing with a SUV is not a good idea. I think Mazda 6 will be better if you want to race, and Mazda 6 has much better set-up and weight.

At least your 2016 have 9 pounds, my 2015 cx5 noises are crazy when driving on highway. It is not fully race car, it just drive that way. Most people buy it for family small suv, that is why Mazda wants to add more sound deadning things in the CX-9. I might trade in cx5 for cx9 next year, I been busy working lately and racing with a SUV is not a good idea. I think Mazda 6 will be better if you want to race, and Mazda 6 has much better set-up and weight.
Hang out here a little more. It's a race car! Just ask the forum, lol!

CX5 is the fastest and greatest sports-like CUV on the road. I am surprised Mazda even bothered to put 9 lbs of sound deadening material. It's ANTI driver, ANTI consumer. Looky here : everyone wants just ZOOM ZOOM. They should not have put ANY, instead concentrate on ZOOM ZOOM only. If you complain about noise - the answer's ZOOM ZOOM. Now, if Mazda decides to add considerable sound deadening material in CX-9, hey: that's fine, that's great, that's required: of course, since Mazda did it. It's not zoom-zoom anymore, it's incredible engineering. Go Mazda, go.

LOL.
I'm assuming this the the "post/thread" that you are talking about?
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ns-questions&p=6417686&viewfull=1#post6417686

Your "race car" jokes and all are entertaining, but I stand behind my point.

Cars are designed around a specific weight and performance goal.

Adding weight to the car reduces performance. Adding too much weight requires a more powerful engine, and a bigger fuel tank and a heavier chassis and the and stronger and heavier crash structures and you end up with a 4000lb lexus NXt

Also, who's to say that 53lbs of "extra" weight is best used on sound insulation?
Car design is a game of compromise.
If the engineers had an extra 53lbs to play with they could have made the rear diff stronger (or more waterproof), they could have made the seats more comfortable, the windshield more resistant to braking and the window glass thicker. They could have also made the CX-5 even safer or they could have fitted a bigger fuel tank.
Instead they made the diff exactly as strong as it needs to be, the seats just comfortable enough, the window glass barely thick enough to stay in one piece, and the safety structures just strong enough to get good crash results at the test speeds.

All of Mazda's sixth-generation vehicles were faced with the program objective of losing weight and increasing efficiency, which would go toward delivering a more engaging driving experience as well.

With CX-9, even including safety and rigidity goals, engineers far exceeded objectives—so much that 53 lbs. of sound-deadening mats were added back into the body in for reduced NVH, placing it among the quietest vehicles in its class. In all, the new CX-9 lost approximately 198 lbs. (90 kg) in front-wheel-drive configuration and approximately 287 lbs. (130 kg) when equipped with predictive i-ACTIV AWD.

The weight savings allowed Mazda engineers to increase window thickness to 4.8mm and rethink active noise-cancelling technologies, in addition to using simpler, more rigid parts, to reduce noise. At 62 mph (100 km/h), interior noise levels have been reduced by 12 percent from the previous model and road noise levels have been reduced by 2.0 dB.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/19/2017-mazda-cx-9-la-2015/

Unlike the CX-9, the CX-5 must not have exceeded its weight loss objectives, so engineers did not end up with extra weight to add and so the CX-5 is just slightly louder than other CUV's (except for subaru, which is also light and makes the CX-5 feel like a lexus)

Last edited:
LOL.
I'm assuming this the the "post/thread" that you are talking about?
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ns-questions&p=6417686&viewfull=1#post6417686

Your "race car" jokes and all are entertaining, but I stand behind my point.

Adding weight to the car reduces performance. Adding too much weight requires a more powerful engine, and a bigger fuel tank and a heavier chassis and the and stronger and heavier crash structures and you end up with a 4000lb lexus NXt

Also, who's to say that 53lbs of "extra" weight is best used on sound insulation?
If the engineers had an extra 53lbs to play with they could have made the rear diff stronger (or more waterproof), they could have made the seats more comfortable, the windshield more resistant to braking and the window glass thicker. They could have also made the CX-5 even safer or they could have fitted a bigger fuel tank.
Instead they made the diff exactly as strong as it needs to be, the seats just comfortable enough, the window glass barely thick enough to stay in one piece, and the safety structures just strong enough to get good crash results at the test speeds.

Unlike the CX-9, the CX-5 must not have exceeded its weight loss objectives, so engineers did not end up with extra weight to add and so the CX-5 is just slightly louder than other CUV's (except for subaru, which is also light and makes the CX-5 feel like a lexus)

Good points piotrek! Car design really is a exercise in compromise. If you want a heavy sound dampened vehicle, buy a luxury model. Myself, I like the light playful nature of the CX-5. The CX-5 has a payload capacity (people and luggage) of 978 lbs. but that would be reduced to 925 lbs. if 53 lbs. of sound damping material was slathered on. That would mean 5 people averaging only 185 lbs. each would be enough to put you right at the GVWR with no capacity for any luggage, tools or outdoor gear. If you want to take three of your buds golfing you had better hope they weight less than me (I'm HWP but 6'-04", 210 lbs.). I'm glad I'm not lugging around 53 lbs. more of useless sound damping material every time I drive up to the ski area!

Last edited:
While I agree to a point with most of you, and I do love my ZoomZoom on a daily basis, I have to say I love the sound deadening in the 2016.

This is my 3rd Mazda. The first 2 were Mazda 3s, and I still have the 2010 2.5l. On both cars the road noise was out of control. One day my wife and I realized we were almost yelling at each other to just talk normally. I even had to just hang up once while trying to order pizza carryout because the girl couldn't hear me over the noise. I downloaded an app on my phone for decibel meter, and just cruising at 60 with cruise control on was 97db. That is not accelerating or with the radio or anything on. You have to really crank the radio to hear it and overcome the noise.

That was on the 2nd set of tires, and I remember the OEMs being even worse. We love everything about the car except the road noise. So we researched high rated quiet tires and found some good Michelin tires. They were really expensive, way over other cheaper but still name brands. But it did make a big difference. Leaving the shop I recorded 85db on the daily driven highway.

The 3 is my wife's daily driver, and when I needed a new car back in August, I considered a CX5 but remembered my mom's 2013 CX5 being pretty loud and so kind of crossed it off at first. But after reading press releases about how they added more sound deadening to the 2016 after feedback from customers, I test drove one and right away my wife was like WOW it is so my quieter! So I ended up buying it.

It may not be as quiet as some luxury car, but it is better than before.

And for those worried about weight, one good thing is the weight is down low if it is undercarriage, which helps with the already high center of gravity on the CX5 compared to a car. And if you are that worried about a few pounds of foam, maybe you should start looking at pulling the passenger seats out, leave the spare at home, etc. Since this is a race car (drive)

Last edited:
And if you are that worried about a few pound of foam, maybe you should start looking at pulling the passenger seats out, leave the spare at home, etc. Since this is a race car.

A few people on this forum see the CX-5 as a performance race car. Personally, I think they are deluded.

However, it's true that anything that accelerates, stops and turns, does it better if it's lighter.

I still have the 2010 2.5l. On both cars the road noise was out of control. One day my wife and I realized we were almost yelling at each other to just talk normally. I even had to just hang up once while trying to order pizza carryout because the girl couldn't hear me over the noise. I downloaded an app on my phone for decibel meter, and just cruising at 60 with cruise control on was 97db. That is not accelerating or with the radio or anything on. You have to really crank the radio to hear it and overcome the noise.

That was on the 2nd set of tires, and I remember the OEMs being even worse. We love everything about the car except the road noise. So we researched high rated quiet tires and found some good Michelin tires. They were really expensive, way over other cheaper but still name brands. But it did make a big difference. Leaving the shop I recorded 85db on the daily driven highway.

The 3 is my wife's daily driver, and when I needed a new car back in August, I considered a CX5 but remembered my mom's 2013 CX5 being pretty loud and so kind of crossed it off at first. But after reading press releases about how they added more sound deadening to the 2016 after feedback from customers, I test drove one and right away my wife was like WOW it is so my quieter! So I ended up buying it.

It may not be as quiet as some luxury car, but it is better than before.

And for those worried about weight, one good thing is the weight is down low if it is undercarriage, which helps with the already high center of gravity on the CX5 compared to a car. And if you are that worried about a few pounds of foam, maybe you should start looking at pulling the passenger seats out, leave the spare at home, etc. Since this is a race car (drive)

There's something wrong with your car or you sound level meter. My daughter still has our 2010 3 GT with 2.5 l and auto transmission. Driving it and my CX-5 back to back reveals 1) the 2010 3 GT has very little engine noise in comparison to the CX-5. The CX-5 engine intrudes a lot when the engine is cold, but remains noisier under any conditions. 2) the OE tires on the 2010 3GT and perhaps the sound insulation result in more road noise in the 3 GT, though maybe it just seems like it's louder because the engine note is so muted. I have switched out the OE Toyos on my CX-5 for Continental TrueContacts, but the road noise in the CX-5 wasn't changed much by that.

There's no question that the 3 GT is a much quieter vehicle on the right road surfaces, but worn concrete roads are noisy as hell.

I will check out the sound level reading in the 3 GT and the CX-5 at 60 with cruise on and post it in their topic sometime over the next few days.

Last edited:
The engine noise is fine in the 3, it is pretty quiet. It was all tire/road noise, and if you look at buyer reviews on sites like edmonds and review sites like autoblog, many of them comment on road noise.
With the new tires on the car it was an instant change, and we have about 20k on the Michelins now and they are still much quieter. I think the middle tires were Toyo maybe, but not sure.

Mazda apparently knew the noise problem on CX-5 very well with all the critiques. That's why they were addressing the issue claimed they had put "particular effort" to "enhance sound insulation performance throughout the body" for 2016 CX-5, and "the result is greater ride comfort and cabin quietness that makes time spent in the vehicle more pleasant". This seems against your statement as Mazda is willing to add weight to reduce noise levels. I believe having only 9 pounds of sound-deadening material in 2016 CX-5 is merely the cost issue, not the weight consideration. Mazda wanted to save pennies and deleted the dash tweeters on CX-5's Bose "premium" audio system which against Bose's recommendation, is a pure example! After all, a penny saved is a penny earned. Mazda truly understands that!

Mazda apparently knew the noise problem on CX-5 very well with all the critiques. That's why they were addressing the issue claimed they had put "particular effort" to "enhance sound insulation performance throughout the body" for 2016 CX-5, and "the result is greater ride comfort and cabin quietness that makes time spent in the vehicle more pleasant". This seems against your statement as Mazda is willing to add weight to reduce noise levels. I believe having only 9 pounds of sound-deadening material in 2016 CX-5 is merely the cost issue, not the weight consideration. Mazda wanted to save pennies and deleted the dash tweeters on CX-5's Bose "premium" audio system which against Bose's recommendation, is a pure example! After all, a penny saved is a penny earned. Mazda truly understands that!

+1. But let's take a step back. CX5 is already in production. Incremental changes are being made. Few to make it better, few as per customer feedback. That being said, Mazda philosophy of late has been ground up development. CX-9 with what I am reading is significant advancement to SkyActiv by incorporating a few things. Net effect is they (Mazda) have better leeway to do what they can't really do without having to go thru significant red tape (possibly) with CX5.

That brings up a question - I think we might see even more insulation in 2017 CX5, may not be 35 lbs but could be late teens? Who knows.

The thing that's attracting me these days is Mazda is truly trying to come up the curve here by seriously looking at customer complaints and trying to address them.

I hope Mazda doesn't go all Honda on us and start chasing the money rather than stick with core Zoom Zoom values.

I hope Mazda doesn't go all Honda on us and start chasing the money rather than stick with core Zoom Zoom values.

I don't think this will be an issue for many years to come. Mazda is still a low volume car company that needs to maintain its current zoom zoom niche market that offers an alternative to boring Hondas.

Back