Should I replace my serp belt myself or let stealer do it for 109 labor?

We unbolted the overflow coolant tank for access to get the wrench in to loosen the tensioner.
Yes, the serp belt comes off first.
Then cut the old stretch belt in half. I used shingle cutters.
Put the new stretch belt onto the crank pulley and then just a portion onto the power steer pulley. Use like 10 or 15 zipties and tie the belt onto the power steer pulley. Use the socket wrench to turn the crank and the zipties force the belt up and over the power steer pulley. I kept breaking zipties. So use more than you think you need.

Thanks for the info on the coolant tank. Also you stated a 1/4 inch socket. Is that for the bolt or is it a 1/4 inch drive ratchet you use or did you use a breaker bar like the other person who posted did. Thanks again I am trying to go through this in my mind while I wait for the belts to arrive. I was also looking at the video that the other poster above mentioned. That guy looks like he was having a hard time doing it even though he had it on a lift. Is it really that tight as far as space is concerned or is that because his is a different model altogether.

I was laying on the ground. My buddy loosened the tensioner. I saw him with the 1/4 inch socket wrench and a short extension. Not sure if if direct into the tensioner or if there was a hex head. My Altima has a hex head on the tensioner but i dont know on the mazda. The ps pulley is sorta close to the frame rail so its sorta tight quarters which is the reason the stretch belt tool wont fit in there and you have to use zip ties. Now I remember we had to remove the wheel arch moulding too and slightly damaged it. Kinda loose now in the rear. Just not a fun job.

First question is for sealant. How did you get the 3/8 inch breaker bar into the square hole on the tensioner. When I tried the head of the breaker bar would bang on the metal . I tried to go behind the tensioner as well with the same result. The second question is for hellbig, did the belts you get from the dealer have a motorcraft name and number on them. When I received mine the package has the mazda brand and number, but the belts say motorcraft and have a ford number.

Yeah Motorcrap in Mazda packaging. Fyi small socket wrenches can be narrower than a breaker bar.
We used a socket wrench not a breaker bar.

Thank you. That explains everything. I don't know how the mazda manual says to use a breaker bar when it doesn't even fit. Thanks again.

First question is for sealant. How did you get the 3/8 inch breaker bar into the square hole on the tensioner. When I tried the head of the breaker bar would bang on the metal . I tried to go behind the tensioner as well with the same result. The second question is for hellbig, did the belts you get from the dealer have a motorcraft name and number on them. When I received mine the package has the mazda brand and number, but the belts say motorcraft and have a ford number.

The tensioner - I did not have a 3/8 inch breaker bar - only a 1/2 inch with a reducing socket that was never going to fit in the space available. Lateral thinking I just used a mighty big shifter on the end of the tensioner (it has a very convenient square end). My suggestion was a 3/8 breaker bar as my ratchet with appropriate fitting would never be able to fit in the space either. Off the top of my head, when I checked the spare part - the hole fitted a 3/8. What ever gives you the leverage to release the tensioner!

The 3 bolts for the tensioner were a pain for me with my poor little socket with the space I had. I have since got myself a set of ratcheting spanners that would make it an absolute breeze.

I left the coolant tank in place.

Tensioner was in a Motorcraft bag with Mazda labels stuck on and the belts are Motorcraft with Mazda label on the cardboard......which is logical as the engine is a Ford Duratec engine.

So has anyone had any trouble getting the ac/alternator belt on? It seems the tensioner doesn't release enough tension. Getting the old 117k belt off was tough, and I wasn't even close to getting the newer, tighter belt on. Eventually I gave up and put the old belt on, and even that was very hard. I had to pry the belt onto the tensioner pulley.... I felt the tensioner was bottoming out, wondering if a newer one could possibly give me more play?

Yeah, used a 1/4 inch socket extension as a push bar and had my friend push the tensioner open to release the old belt and also to put on the new belt. Serp belt was easy. The power steering stretch belt was the one that was the nightmare.

Where did you put it on? I tried to slip it under the tensioner pulley, but when I was searching last night some guy used electrical wire and pulled it up over the alternator from the top I assume. I'm also wondering if the Gates K060448 is just a bit on the small side.

While my buddy held the tensioner loose, I just looped the serp belt in place, not over any specific component. It is a 2 man job though. That was easy. But the smaller stretch steering belt required about 8 zip ties to power the belt up and over the steering pulley. The gates tool was useless for the stretch belt. It was too big and wouldn't fit between the frame rail and the pulley. Even tried grinding it. Sorry to hear about your woes. The Ser belt really shouldn't be that hard, that is, with 2 people.

Hi All!
I just curiously what correct size for Mazda cx 9 2009 Drive Belt (Serpentine Bel Genuine part # is cy0115908d), I checked and it's coming up with 3 different sizes 6PK1138 / 6PK1140 / 6PK1145. I bought Gates with some online store and it's 6PK1145. i saw most of online/ebay they are selling for cx 9 model 07-15 with 6PK1140.
-I'm not sure i get right length or Not.

Not sure what your question is. The belts I installed were CY01-15-908D and CY01-15-907B. Tool I got on Amazon did not work. To loosen the the belt tensioner just use a long socket extension. As far as a tool you would only need a tool for the power steering stretch/slip belt. But my tool didn't work. To replace the slip belt I ended up zip tie-ing about 15 zip ties around the power steering pulley and the belt then rotated the crankshaft until the belt was forced up over the pulley. Buy a 6 pack of beer at a minimum.

Back