acoustic windshield

IAATM

:
2013 Mazda5 Sport
Has anybody found an acoustic windshield that fits the Mazda 5? If so, have you tried it and did it help?

Help with what? If you are looking to cure road noise by going this route you are probably wasting your money/time. The 5 was/is based on an economy car, its noisy. The best thing you can do is strip the interior and coat it in Dynamat or a similar product.

Help with what? If you are looking to cure road noise by going this route you are probably wasting your money/time. The best thing you can do is strip the interior and coat it in Dynamat or a similar product.

I'm just looking to reduce some of the road noise.

My understanding is that these acoustic windshields (for others makes and models) typically cost $25-50 more than a regular windshield. If a Mazda 5 owners needs to replace their windshield due to a crack, would the acoustic benefit justify the price premium?

Put another way: if you need to replace your windshield, how many decibels would you save by asking the installer to put in an acoustic windshield for $35 extra, versus going with a regular windshield and saving the $35, and then spending a weekend ripping out your interior, buying, and applying Dynamat, and replacing your interior?

I would think that giving the installer $35 extra would be pretty quick and painless, and might reduce the road noise a bit.

How quick and painless is a Dynamat installation?

They might cost $25-$50 more for the manufacturer on their end, not for you the consumer.

You're looking at many, many hours to dynamat the whole interior of the car for very little improvement in noise.

Oh c'mon, lets not kill the mans dreams entirely! LOL I would say that the Dynamat (or similar) solution would yield results that could be heard by almost anyone. It isn't easy, or fast, or cheap, but I would argue that in the end its worth it.

I bought this for $65 shipped: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Used ~20sqf on
- the rear wheel wells + areas where I could reach the outer metal in the back + inside of the two big trunk trim pieces
- front doors, again on the inside of the outer metal, the black plastic cover and the inside of the doorcards.

In all a very audible difference. I did not cover everything 100%.
Road noise is down, especially in the back and especially in wet conditions, on gravel roads, at hwy speeds.

Another area I might try in the future, along with some alum. backed bubble wrap for insulation is the roof.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be perfectly accurate, but I imagine there's an iPhone/Android app that measures dB levels. It would be great if someone getting ready to do something along these lines would take the time to get some baseline measurements (at various speeds like idle and 0mph, 25mph, 50mph, 75mph) so that we could compare the before and after. This project just might make it on my summertime list. I would love to know the impact of the windshield and the sound mat.

They might cost $25-$50 more for the manufacturer on their end, not for you the consumer.

You're looking at many, many hours to dynamat the whole interior of the car for very little improvement in noise.

From my research - you need Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) + decoupling foam + sound damper (like Dynamat) to get true sound reduction. Someone on this forum (sac02) did it to his whole vehicle. I did a partial - it does seem to help. It is a lot of work - need to strip entire interior, put damper, foam & MLV everywhere. It also weighs a lot. MLV is .5-2 lb/sqft.

Here's a link to what was said earlier http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123843749-Sound-Deadening

Last edited:
Back