Why the need for more power?

EvansMazda

:
2016 Mazda6 GT
I just picked up my 2016 mazda6 on Saturday after driving a 2014 cx5 and putting 48000 miles on it. Both vehicles had the 2.5 sky active 4 cylinder. Every review I read, or review video I watch the reviewer mentions mazdas vehicles lack of engine power and/or choice of engine options. Now, I'll admit, I'm absolutely no car junkie but to me both my cx5 and mazda6 were/are more than powerful enough, the 6 even has a sport mode and paddle shifters which give even more zoom zoom power. I don't drive on a race track and I'd rather not get pulled over for speeding again (got caught doing 90 in my cx5) so I'll pose this question, what exactly is wrong with a 2.5 lite 4 cylinder? Why do so many reviewers demand more power?

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Actually, I agree with you on the power front. I think Mazda did a helluva job on the chassis so the driver can maintain speed instead of having to build it back up after every corner. Bigger power usually means more weight over the front wheels, which kills handling. Colin Chapman had it right, and apparently Mazda adheres to his theories.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.

Couldn't agree more EvansMazda. Although it would be nice to have say another 25 HP or so just for straight-line performance, the current 2.5L does pretty well as the car is pretty light on it's feet. Now that I have 76k on mine, it seems it is faster now than it was when it was new. Can't wait to drive the new 2.5L CX-9 with turbo though...

My 16 GT has decent power. More would always be better but it seems adequate. I'd rather keep the mpg than have more power though.

I just picked up my 2016 mazda6 on Saturday after driving a 2014 cx5 and putting 48000 miles on it. Both vehicles had the 2.5 sky active 4 cylinder. Every review I read, or review video I watch the reviewer mentions mazdas vehicles lack of engine power and/or choice of engine options. Now, I'll admit, I'm absolutely no car junkie but to me both my cx5 and mazda6 were/are more than powerful enough, the 6 even has a sport mode and paddle shifters which give even more zoom zoom power. I don't drive on a race track and I'd rather not get pulled over for speeding again (got caught doing 90 in my cx5) so I'll pose this question, what exactly is wrong with a 2.5 lite 4 cylinder? Why do so many reviewers demand more power?

There's nothing wrong with the engine or the power, and the constant harping about it bugs me too. I bought my CX-5 because I needed the room, and I loved the drive / fuel economy / available tech. We just added a Mazda 6 for my fiancee (picking it up today - woot!) because she prefers a roomy sedan but still wants something that handles well and has good fuel economy / available tech.

Let's be honest, for most drivers in most situations, more power just lets you merge slightly quicker or get from red light to red light faster. Whoopity doo. If I want straight line speed then I'll get my bike out - 30HP less than the Mazdas but only weighs 700lbs. You just know that if they sacrificed MPG for HP then the reviewers would harp on about that instead <shrugs>.

This might be different if there were a choice in the MZ6. Like what we have now plus the turbo motor from the new CX9.

Passat, Accord, Camry, Altima, Optima/Sonata, Fusion, etc all have a much more powerful option available.

Everything's relative though. I drive a lot of cars due to travel for work, and I have to say for most driving I prefer the low end pull, smoothness, and sheer power of a good V6 over the Skyactive 2.5 especially with the record low gas prices we have been seeing lately.

Mazda has committed to the Skyactiv program and is willing to stick it out. As a small manufacturer, they don't have the resources for multiple power options, especially when they need to focus on strangling emissions standards in the near future.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.

I would love the turbo-2.5G in my next ride (likely a Mazda again).
Speed6?
That engine works more like a diesel engine from power curve perspective.
HP is low, but high torque at low RPM.
Would be great around town and on commutes.
Engine power is addictive, and get you into trouble more often than you think.
I have had a BMW 540iA with V8. Got a few tickets in it.

I sold my 05 wrangler to get my first "real" car the Mazda6 2014 GT...

When I first started car shopping I was looking at older cars with turbos, higher HP, etc.

In the end, I told myself it was much smarter to get a newer vehicle with great MPG. I have been driving it for about a week now, and the passing power is great - much better than the wrangler I was used too. Sure, I wish it was faster - but to get more power (that I don't TRULY need) I'd have to get an older car with less luxurious interior and exterior styling.

Mazda is smart by making the MPG their focus, as a good majority of car buyers need a commuter vehicle. I think the m6 is fun to drive still, very accurate turning, and the power is still a big upgrade from what I used to drive.

All the reviews about power gave me some pause - but I love the way it drives. I got a manual touring - so glad Mazda still makes these - which gives me some more control of its power. Since its new I kept in fifth for much of the first long highway drive, so I'd get more zoom. Overall, I think the 6 is a great blend of sportiness, sophistication, and still economical. Had been thinking of getting a used TL which has more power, but also was going to cost more and get mediocre mileage

The overwhelming majority of Accords and Camrys are sold with the base 4 cylinder engine. I think Mazda is smart with its limited resources in offering 1 very adequate engine. Plus, I'm very confident we will see a turbo variant soon.

News has it that, the next Accord 2018 will come with 1.6-Turbo or 2.0 Turbo.
No more V6. It is the trend, people.

I just picked up my 2016 I Touring MT this past Saturday. It only had 2200 mi on it when I rolled out of the dealer, so I'm giving it till at least 8k miles before I start pushing into the upper rev range. Even still, it has some nice torque from what I can feel from 3-4k rpm. It's almost identical to the 2.0 in my Protege5, I've found the sweet spot for that engine being right at 3500rpm. It sure is a rev happy engine in the Mazda 6, that much I can tell thus far.

Back