2.0 Manual 2016 Vibration through Pedals Normal?

silverevo05

:
Mazda CX 5 2.0 Manual
This is a 2.0 Manual Transmission 2016 with 624 miles on the ODO

I'm getting quite a bit of vibration through my pedals ..clutch, somewhat gas (I'm guessing this is an electronic pedal), and definitely brake pedal on acceleration and ESPECIALLY deceleration i.e leaving car in gear and slowing down or braking (while light feeling the pedals)

Car tracks straight and true and as far as I can tell no vibration through the steering wheel.

It goes away if I put car into neutral (going lets say 80, 6th gear, 3k) so this would make it seem to be CV, Axel, Tranny or Motor mount related

This is getting worse as the miles pack on.

The shifter vibrates quite a bit too when I push/pull on it slightly while in gear, BUT I've had other cars do this before, though I don't know if its normal for this car.

I purchased wheels and tires but am avoiding putting them on to avoid Dealer excuses.

I've had/driven 9 Manual transmission cars in my life and this is the first new one to have such vibrations which gets extremely annoying like an unwanted massage on my foot (not fun)

on a side note my driver side mirror is wavy and very noticeable. I guess I was so enamored with the car on the test drive that I didn't notice but I'm not worried as I'm sure it will be changed out so no biggie.

Any info before I go to the dealer?

Thanks

Last edited:
doesn't sound normal to me.
Does it happen at all speeds and in different gears? what if you push in the clutch while braking?

doesn't sound normal to me.
Does it happen at all speeds and in different gears? what if you push in the clutch while braking?

Definitely not normal, everything is nice and smooth with mine like a Swiss watch. Take it to the dealer.

This is a 2.0 Manual Transmission 2016 with 624 miles on the ODO
It goes away if I put car into neutral (going lets say 80, 6th gear, 3k) so this would make it seem to be CV, Axel, Tranny or Motor mount related
Shouldn't be CVs or axles otherwise you should feel the vibration all the time. Must likely the engine/transmission mounts, or clutch. But don't diagnose the problem by yourself, just let dealer do it.

on a side note my driver side mirror is wavy and very noticeable. I guess I was so enamored with the car on the test drive that I didn't notice but I'm not worried as I'm sure it will be changed out so no biggie.
This was the problem for earlier CX-5s with different mirror. Hope yours is an isolated case.

Currently at the dealer. They noticed the waviness on the mirror.

Regarding the vibrations I notice it at most speeds especially let's say 6th on the freeway in gear then letting go of the gas and lightly putting my right foot on the brake pedal.

Your right yerwai52 about the axels and cv otherwise it would be all the time.

We'll see what the dealer says. Yelp reviews at this dealer are questionable

Update: the ride along tech did feel it so they will keep it overnight. Hopefully I won't get the "within normal specs" BS that some dealers are known for. I like the car and really want to like Mazda.

HOW about the shifter to you manual guys. If left in gear and you slightly pull down it vibrates quite a bit through the hand. Do you guys get this?

Last edited:
HOW about the shifter to you manual guys. If left in gear and you slightly pull down it vibrates quite a bit through the hand. Do you guys get this?

Getting ready to run an errand, I will pay close attention and try to duplicate it provided I understand correctly what you want me to do.

Say I am in 2nd, 4th, or 6th gear. Are you saying to pull rearward (aft) on the shifter and check for vibration?

^ yes sir.

also while in 6th (or any gear for that matter but mainly felt at higher speeds) while I was (maybe (whistle)) going 80 you take your right foot (while in gear) and lightly put it on the right of the brake pedal, I feel a heavy vibration.
Once I put it in Neutral all pedals feel smooth

Funny part is while on the ride along with the tech I was in the passenger seat and could feel it through the floorboard.

Mine is smooth and quiet. In fact maybe too smooth and quiet. Between gear changes everything pops into gear smoothly. During cruising, acceleration, deceleration, the shifter is still smooth. I came from a truck tranny so it was going from a stick moving in a bucket of pebbles to a stick that's gliding on rails. The clutch, brakes and gas pedal have no vibration unless if I gun it at WOT then some minor vibration is felt, but for the most part very smooth. I wish I could feel the clutch more, but I guess that's the trade off with a really light clutch pedal.

I hope the dealer finds the problem cause what you describe definitely does not sound normal.

I drove across town last night and tried to duplicate the symptoms listed above. I never detected any pedal vibration or shifter vibration, but if I kept the weight of my hand/arm on the shifter, I could feel occasional movement, like the motor moving relative to chassis within the mounts, of course. At any rate, it was slight and I had to go looking for it if that makes sense. And not my normal mode of driving either.
I suspect your Mazda has a problem outside of normal.

One you get your peddle and shifter vibration fixed, be sure you keep on the them with the mirror vibration. Mine is a 2014 and was changed out and the new one started vibrating after a few months. I am very surprised that they still are having this issue with the 2016's.

^ Thanks

It's actually not mirror shakiness, it was a wavy Mirror kind of akin to a fun house mirror or those really cheap mirrors at the 99cent store where you can see distortion.

I drove across town last night and tried to duplicate the symptoms listed above. I never detected any pedal vibration or shifter vibration, but if I kept the weight of my hand/arm on the shifter, I could feel occasional movement, like the motor moving relative to chassis within the mounts, of course. At any rate, it was slight and I had to go looking for it if that makes sense. And not my normal mode of driving either.
I suspect your Mazda has a problem outside of normal.

RG you and others have been very helpful and I thank you all.

Received a call back from the Service adviser and was Notified that a Mazda Rep will be out tomorrow and test drive another one side by side. I can't imagine Barely having to make my first payment (which I just received) and have to deal with "Buzzy" Pedals for my tenure with this vehicle. It will definitely be something that will constantly remind me to get fixed and not let go of.

Yea something has to be loose. The shifter is cable operated so most of the vibrations should be isolated except the ones that travel though the chassis.

^ Your right Pete, that's where I am leaning towards too.

Shifter is cable operated and the gas pedal is, I'm somewhat sure drive by wire, so that would all point, I'm assuming to the Mounts or Flywheel out of balance?

Clutch in and out movement is good, just once the car gets going (in gear) you can feel the vibrations on the pedals and shifter, Neutral while coasting is smooth

They are still checking it out, though I advised them to take as long as they need.

Last edited:
Update:

Will be test driving with Mazda 2 other CX-5's to confirm what others have stated. I am impressed with Mazda's willingness to work with me on this matter, though I am still concerned as to the resolution.

The good thing is that it is easy to determine a wheel out of balance with a car not dampened correctly due to mounts, flywheel, etc.

The Mirror has been changed out due to waviness

a few remain here in socal and I've actually had a couple "somewhat" local people willing to help.

Thanks to everyone, will keep posted

Back