moisture condensation in the spare tire well trunk area

CaboWabo

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD Bose/moonroof, sonic silver
I have a new 2016 CX5 that's I've had for about 3 months. Yesterday I opened the trunk area. I have the oem rubber mat with the side pockets over the trunk. I rolled that forward, and folded open the trunk and noticed a bit of water condensation on the underside of the fold-up trunk floor. I wiped it up with a towel. I didn't notice any pooling of water in the tire well itself, it was just on the underside of the floor where it folds up. Its been very cold here and we've had some snow, but I haven't stored any wet items in the back at all. The only thing I can think of is that since the car is new, the styrofoam trunk trays and or the spare tire are releasing some moisture?? Anyone have any ideas? Just wondering if this is a normal occurrence or something I should bring to the attention of the dealer. I'm going to keep the trunk area open for a few days to let it dry completely out and check it again.

I have the same setup: OEM rubber mat over the trunk floor. I had to lift it up last week for the first time in 4 months to pick up toys fallen under rear seat, didn't see any condensation. The air around this time in MN is pretty dry, humidity usually about 30% so I don't think there's any water to condense, unless the water has already been there in the first place, or if you park in a high humidity area. I'm not sure if the rubber mat on top of the trunk floor would create such a good seal, is there other vent somewhere for that well area?

I didn't notice any pooling of water in the tire well itself,
Did you actually take the spare tire out and check? In the mean time you should check the tire pressure when you take the spare out as I can guarantee you it will be at least 10 psi lower than 60 psi! Mine was only 40 psi when I checked a couple of months age!

If you didn't see any water accumulation and there is no water source can get into that area, you can just do what you just did, wipe everything dry and re-check after a couple of weeks. Also make sure your trunk carpet underneath the cargo mat is dry too.

when shopping for cx 9 I've seen 2 maybe 3 cars that all had water paddle in there ....draining from the rear gate ?

In the mean time you should check the tire pressure when you take the spare out as I can guarantee you it will be at least 10 psi lower than 60 psi!

You keep 60 psi in your spare? What psi do you keep your road tires at? Guess I'll have to check all mine again including the spare.

You keep 60 psi in your spare? What psi do you keep your road tires at? Guess I'll have to check all mine again including the spare.
It's compact spare so it requires higher pressure. 60 psi for those spares is pretty standard. I keep 38 psi on 4 road tires although the specs say 36. I usually keep 2~4 pounds higher than factory specs as from my past experience the tires can get better even wear with a little higher pressure, in addition to get very slightly better fuel economy.

Last edited:
And remember to initialize your TPMS after tire pressure got adjusted.

UPDATE
Well its been about a week now and the problem literally vaporized.
We've been having heavy rains throughout the week, so it was a good test for it. I've checked under the cargo area and its perfectly bone dry and no condensation. I'll keep an eye on it occasionally, but I don't think there's any problem anymore. It remains a mystery.
Also I checked my spare tire pressure and you were right, it was way low about 40. I pumped it up to 60 psi while I was in there.

UPDATE
Well its been about a week now and the problem literally vaporized.
We've been having heavy rains throughout the week, so it was a good test for it. I've checked under the cargo area and its perfectly bone dry and no condensation. I'll keep an eye on it occasionally, but I don't think there's any problem anymore. It remains a mystery.
Also I checked my spare tire pressure and you were right, it was way low about 40. I pumped it up to 60 psi while I was in there.
That's good news. Besides, there is really nothing the water will go there. I think it must be the trunk carpet got wet somehow during the assembly or sitting in the dealer lot. But once you've made this thing dry, it won't come back!

Yeah these spares are normally up-side-down for valve location. And many people are simply ignore the air pressure checking on spare as it's too much hassle to check. Until you had a blow-out you'd never realize the spare is way low on pressure.

Back