Creaking Brakes - Any Ideas?

brake noises

I am having the same problem with a 2017 3 hatchback. It has been to the dealer 4 times to fix the problem. It makes a groaning/creaking noise during low-speed braking (parking). Also when coming to a full stop at normal speeds. (stops, seems to make the sound when the car "rebounds" from a normal-effort full-stop) I thought at first it was suspension related, since it did sound like a suspension creak. Happens no matter what the weather is, or hot/cold brakes. Dealer tells me it is a brake noise. And it is "normal" for this car to make that noise. It started in a couple of months ago (23k miles now). I have never driven any car, owned, rental or otherwise that made such a noise. So I can't take this as "normal". It is really loud. Not a scraping sound (like rusty disks or worn pads). Also, if I am stopped in a parking lot, and I release the brakes really slowly, I can get this continuous noise, the vehicle not moving, this groan/creak/whine kind of noise, can get it to go on for 30 seconds with no motion of the vehicle (in gear). One of the dealer mechanics said it could be due to the "city braking" system/option that warns/applies brakes at low speed, pre-loads the calipers. But it shouldn't whine about it.

I think that this is some issue with the calipers. No brake work/replacements have been done, all original equipment under warranty.

Today, to "prove" to me that this is "normal", they put me into a 6 with 2k miles on it. And, yes, I could get it to make that noise also. Again, if this is what Mazda thinks is "normal" brake behavior, it doesn't say much for the brand. I would not expect this kind of issue with a vehicle that is less than 2 years old. None of my ancient Hondas ever made such a noise (first experience with Mazda). As far as I can tell, they have taken no action to attempt to remedy the situation, they just "diagnose" it and do nothing except tell me that it is a noise to be expected.

Any ideas of the real cause of this issue? thanks!
Your problem should be caused by something sticky such as caliper pins or calipers themselves. If your 2017 Mazda3 has Electrical Parking Brake (EPB), you could have the same issue like 2016 CX-5 which may exhibit the rear brake dragging resulting in brake noise and the outer disc pad abnormally worn out:

TSB R052/16C - Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

You should start calling Customer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations and trying to get this issue resolved. It is NOT normal!

Your problem should be caused by something sticky such as caliper pins or calipers themselves. If your 2017 Mazda3 has Electrical Parking Brake (EPB), you could have the same issue like 2016 CX-5 which may exhibit the rear brake dragging resulting in brake noise and the outer disc pad abnormally worn out:

TSB R052/16C - Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

You should start calling Customer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations and trying to get this issue resolved. It is NOT normal!

thanks, I just got off the phone with Mazda. I had contacted them a couple of weeks ago when the 2nd (or 3rd?) visit to the dealer didn't resolve the problem. They are all supposedly in contact this afternoon as the corporate people are on pacific time, the dealer has the car for 2 days now. I've been reading about this issue with CX9 and CX5, but nothing on the 3. the sound appears to be coming from the front brakes. But sometimes it seems to come from all. The car does have the "city braking automation", which would do something with all 4 brakes. so wondering if that could be an issue. we'll see, and I will post the outcome. It took at least 15k miles for this to show up, so I am suspecting some kind of brake pad / residue on the disks issue. No vibration, so no runout issues. no scraping sounds, so pads are OK (and recent service inspection confirmed that). been hearing a lot to "lubricate the caliper pins" recommendations.

Oh wow. I just bought a new 19 mazda CX5 with <100 mi in it and its also making a break noise. Like grinding/creaky sound when breaking slowly (e.g. parking). Im disappointed as this car is fairly new.

I contacted the dealership and she told me she heard about the issue before and recommended to keep her updated if the issue is ongoing.

An update.... just got the car back from dealer service. The inspected everything, involved Mazda corporate (talked with them this afternoon as well) and told me that all is well. Except for a little glazing of the rotors. No issues with excessive pad or rotor wear, misalignment of pads, .... They didn't make any changes, lubrication etc. They did offer to install a new set of pads for free labor if I supply the pads of my choosing. Brought the vehicle to a trusted independent mechanic afterwards, who basically told me the same thing. He has heard this noise on several other vehicles and there isn't much to do about it, and it isn't a safety issue. He also thought that a new set of pads would take care of the issue (until it occurs again after a year?) and that my noise was unusually loud compared to others. Not sure how to proceed. It's making the noise when coming to a complete stop from normal road speed, in addition to the parking low-speed situation (forward, stop, reverse, stop, ....). Any recommendations for pads that have a reputation of being quieter than Mazda's OEM pads?

just thought to add.... the noise when coming to complete stop is driver's side front only. It sounded to me like a suspension groan, not a brake issue. Makes the noise after the vehicle has come to complete stop, with constant pressure maintained on the brake. (i.e., don't let up once the vehicle has stopped). Not a panic brake, just a normal stop from 30 mph.

Last edited:
I wouldn't rule out rotors. Rotor design is not as simple as it seems. Some thinner than normal aftermarket rotors of unknown iron alloy composition will amplify sounds much more easily than thicker rotors. I like high-quality slotted rotors, as they tend to keep the pads parallel to the rotor's friction surfaces. This is critical to minimizing or eliminating brake noises.
My Hawk street/performance pads on the MX5 make a low volume but high-pitched sound at times but it is brief and not irritating at all.

An update.... just got the car back from dealer service. The inspected everything, involved Mazda corporate (talked with them this afternoon as well) and told me that all is well. Except for a little glazing of the rotors. No issues with excessive pad or rotor wear, misalignment of pads, .... They didn't make any changes, lubrication etc. They did offer to install a new set of pads for free labor if I supply the pads of my choosing. Brought the vehicle to a trusted independent mechanic afterwards, who basically told me the same thing. He has heard this noise on several other vehicles and there isn't much to do about it, and it isn't a safety issue. He also thought that a new set of pads would take care of the issue (until it occurs again after a year?) and that my noise was unusually loud compared to others. Not sure how to proceed. It's making the noise when coming to a complete stop from normal road speed, in addition to the parking low-speed situation (forward, stop, reverse, stop, ....). Any recommendations for pads that have a reputation of being quieter than Mazda's OEM pads?

just thought to add.... the noise when coming to complete stop is driver's side front only. It sounded to me like a suspension groan, not a brake issue. Makes the noise after the vehicle has come to complete stop, with constant pressure maintained on the brake. (i.e., don't let up once the vehicle has stopped). Not a panic brake, just a normal stop from 30 mph.

Glazing...that's what was making noise on my car. Had rotors turned and braking improved while noise went away.

So much weird in this thread. First, groaning and creaking is way more often bushing / suspension related and not brakes. Second, the typical cure is to use OEM components because aftermarket parts will sometimes introduce noises that were not there previously.
Recommendations for aftermarket replacements: I've had good luck with premium Centric, Akebono and Brembo. See if any of those are available. Ideally you would replace rotors at the same time. If the shop has a lathe that can resurface the mounted rotor then that is another great option since it accounts for any hub runout that can be present. Good luck.

It's making the noise when coming to a complete stop from normal road speed, in addition to the parking low-speed situation (forward, stop, reverse, stop, ....).

This is EXACTLY what I am now getting. Only really noticed it after my 48,000km brake service.

Same as you, I can now reproduce easy. Dealer says normal, no safety issues, etc. At first tried to tell me it was ABS, no where near where ABS should be engaging.

I can make it happen the same way: Stopping from 40-50 km/hr. Not a panic stop, but not super soft either. Noise only front driver, noise only when coming to a full stop while maintaining pedal pressure (not lifting / not a rolling stop).

I may take it back. I may not bother wasting my time and just ride them out.

Back