New MSP owner. Kinda.

03BlkMicaSPD

Quality Literature...
:
2003 MazdaSpeed
Just purchased a Black Mica with only 48000 mi.
I'm pretty excited to have my old car back. Not the exact one but you know what I mean.
20160220_090441.jpg

Watch for bad gaskets and seals from it sitting. Wd-40 is good conditioner for rubber hoses.
Looks awesome man welcome back

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

It has a FMIC. Not sure what brand. It also has a cat back. Think it is ebay. Has wide band AFR.
Other than that it is stock. It holds 7.5 psi at full boost. Seems high to me as my old MSP held 5.5 at stock boost.

It has a FMIC. Not sure what brand. It also has a cat back. Think it is ebay. Has wide band AFR.
Other than that it is stock. It holds 7.5 psi at full boost. Seems high to me as my old MSP held 5.5 at stock boost.
8 psi is the ECU cut off

That was determined by what flash you were on. I ran 9.5 on my first car with no fuel cut. I have no idea what flash this one has. Didn't they put a sticker under the hood when they flashed it?

So then fuel cut is determined by the MAF signal when it goes to max which is 5 Volts. That should not have changed. The ecu does not monitor boost pressure.

Either way... it is odd that with no boost controller it is holding 7.5 psi. He may have changed the waste gate spring I suppose.

There is a map sensor monitoring boost pressure. It works in conjunction with the maf.

It's is not that accurate then.. I'll have to do some more reading and catch up on what all has been discovered since I sold my first msp.

There is a map sensor monitoring boost pressure. It works in conjunction with the maf.

03blkmicaspd is correct, the ECU reads the MAF signal and fuel cut happens when the MAF sees 5v. The ecu does not have a 'boost cutoff'.
The higher boost level is probably due to the fact the stock SMIC has a 2.5psi pressure drop across the core. Aftermarket FMICs, even ebay ones only have about a 1psi pressure drop, therefore when you upgrade to a front mount your boost will rise by about 1psi.

Last edited:
I was wondering... On a hot day at the track in my old speed, I was running 11psi with no fuel cut. Cooler days I could run 9 psi without much issue. I had just GHL turbo back with no cat and CAI and EBC. I ran race gas with 11psi. It would get down for just 3 bolt ons.

I know it has been a while, but I have found some more info from the car. It is not a catback from ebay. It actually has an original Ion Performance turbo back. They did the first full turbo back with separate waste gate path on the down pipe. Anyone know or remember an early member with black mica #908? possibly from the Pittsburgh area.

Back