Durability of the AT used in manual mode

DanInAMazda

:
2015 Mazda5 GS
We just got a new 2015 Mazda5 GS with an automatic transmission.

I was wondering about the durability of driving it using the manual mode? How aggressive can one be with the manual mode in terms of downshifts, etc? Tips or suggestions? So far, I find I get good results lifting slightly on the throttle prior to shifting...

Long story short, we should have gotten a manual. However, due to end of year deals, dwindling stocks and a car requiring more than it's residual value in repairs, that's all we had to work with.

The transmission control module will not allow you to do any lasting harm to the engine or transmission by driving it in manual mode. The trans will upshift at redline even in manual mode, so you would have to purposely drive at just the right speed in too low a gear to over-rev the engine. It will also not allow a downshift into 1st gear above a certain speed, again, to prevent over revving the engine. I have repeatedly beat on mine like a rented mule in manual mode and it hasn't had any trouble, this is an 06 with 217K on the odo BTW

I have found that the manual mode isn't as adept as I had hoped, most times the trans manages to up and downshift on its own better than I would have in manual mode. It is fun to play with though....

Back