Used or DIY Cargo Cover for '16 CX5

urban_

:
'16 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD + Tech Package Owner
So... my car window got smashed into last night at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco (imgur link here: http://imgur.com/a/r4zxW). ******* bummer since my car is not even a full year old.

We had a lot of things hidden in the trunk, but one bright red backpack stood out and a methhead stole it right in the middle of the day. I'd like to help prevent/deter this from happening again.

I looked into the OEM cargo cover and the price is a bit steep for me ($166 on Amazon). Does anyone know where I can buy it at a discounted priced (used is good!) or if there are any DIY alternatives?

Honestly i don't know if that would help much. Your windows were tinted and at night it would already be hard to see into. Covering the car would make people more suspicious. I mean how long does it take to take a car cover off? 10 secs? I also live in the bay area and sometimes you just can't prevent these things. My supervisor lives in San Jose and had her apartment broken into and 2 weeks later her early 90s corolla was stolen. You would probably be better off spending the money on a car alarm with shock senors.

Honestly i don't know if that would help much. Your windows were tinted and at night it would already be hard to see into. Covering the car would make people more suspicious. I mean how long does it take to take a car cover off? 10 secs? I also live in the bay area and sometimes you just can't prevent these things. My supervisor lives in San Jose and had her apartment broken into and 2 weeks later her early 90s corolla was stolen. You would probably be better off spending the money on a car alarm with shock senors.

Cargo cover. :)

I won't say $166 for the CX-5 cargo cover is cheap and I also think it should be standard on the GT because Grand Touring generally means luggage and luggage should be hidden, but I decided to buy it and it's a very well made and good looking accessory. As mentioned before, it's attached to the hatch and extends/retracts automatically.
Maybe you can find a used one online or in a junkyard?

I won't say $166 for the CX-5 cargo cover is cheap and I also think it should be standard on the GT because Grand Touring generally means luggage and luggage should be hidden, but I decided to buy it and it's a very well made and good looking accessory. As mentioned before, it's attached to the hatch and extends/retracts automatically.
Maybe you can find a used one online or in a junkyard?

Yes it is a quality made item. $166 sounds high, but it is probably cheaper than the insurance deductible?

I did a quick search and found one on amazon for as low as $133?

Since they are the same since 2013, you should be able to find a used one without too much trouble.

It's unfortunate they don't include that cover with the car anymore, but I have it and it's very high quality - metal construction, the fabric rolls back and has some stretch so you can cover objects just a little too tall. Much nicer than the stiffened felt thing that came with our 3.

That really sucks :( I have a Mazda OEM cargo cover that has been in the rafters of my garage since I bought mine. I can let it go for $100

The cargo cover may seem pricey but it is extremely well made.

Back