Speedometer Problem

Emiltheman

:
mazda 3 1,6 -04
Hi, i have a mazda 3 1,6L -2004
The problem is that the speedometer dont work when it is winter and cold, it works when the engine got up to temperature if i turn of the car and start it again, and on the summer it always work! the "check engine" lamp also is on!
anyone got this problem and have a solution for it?

//Emil

i agree, have the codes checked. more than likely the sensor for the speedometer (vehicle speed sensor) is getting condensation in it and when its cold it is not allowing the sesnor to work but when it is warm its running out of the sensor and allowing it to work. there is not really a whole lot to a speedometer if the speedometer is the only gauge not working its either that particular gauge has failed (new cluster needed) or a wire/sensor issue that the speedo uses to get its reading

do anyone know were the speedsensor on a 1,6L manual gearbox with abs is located?
i have checked the workshop manual but it only show were it is on automatic gearboxes!

usually bolted to the side of the transmission should be in a similar spot to the auto.

Hello all,

i have exactly same issue on my mazda 3... anyone knows what is the culprit here?

thanks,
marko

. . . . I have a 2002 Protege DX with Manual Trans and 2.0L Engine. Last winter the Speedometer became inoperative when the car was cold. In OAT above 50F the Speedo worked normally. Between 20-50F the Speedo would not work until after I had been driving the car for a while. From 0-20F it would take a long time to start working. Below 0F it never works. All summer it works fine.
. . . . This winter I decided enough is enough. I got a new Speed Sensor(SS) and had my shop replace it for me. That afternoon I headed out to Madison and Milwaukee and it worked fine. Yeah! It is fixed. Not!! The following day I drove the car and the Speedo was again inoperative. After driving for a while it started working again as before.
. . . . I got a wiring diagram from my shop and I saw that the Speed Sensor Signal goes to the Instrument Cluster(IC). The SS is a small generator putting out a square wave. There are two connections from the IC to the PCM. I thought that the problem must be in the IC. My DX came with no Tachometer. I found a IC with a Tachometer with just 1K more miles than my IC. I bought it and it is plug and play. Everything works except that I still have my original problem.
. . . . The Speedo still doesn't work when the car is cold. I dug through the car until I found the PCM. The internet said it was located in various locations. Mazda said that it was located on the firewall on the right side in the engine compartment. I found it under the passenger carpet under the passengers front feet.
. . . . I brought the PCM in and I let it warm up for a few hours. I then reinstalled it and the Speedo still doesn't work. Any ideas anyone? Could it be the PCM? I know that the PCM uses the SS Signal for fuel cut and cruise control. The vehicle has never been submerged and there is no sign that critters have ever set up house keeping.
GOD Bless and Thanks,
rich!
PS. I posted this here because it is very similar to problem that the owner of the Mazda 3 is having.
Thanks,
ric!

Back