El Nino Sucks...

Buzzer777

:
Mazda,CX-5, AWD,2015 Grand Touring, Meteor Gray Mica
This is the worst El Nino Weather season that I can remember (ain't no youngster either). Twas a sunny 72 d,f yesterday and we have about 8-10" od crapola today!...Can't wait for spring:(

Last edited:
It's been a fun few days in Rhode Island too.

Saturday: 5 degrees with wind chills as low as -25 degrees.
Sunday: 6-7 degrees with wind chills as low as -20 degrees.
Monday: Several inches of snow.
Tuesday: Torrential rain but 55 degrees.
Wednesday: Cloudy and 53 degrees.
Thursday: Bright and sunny but only 36 degrees, supposed to drop to 21 degrees overnight.

Seriously, pick one! No idea what to dress for from day to day.

We, already had a short summer here(92) for like two weeks and yesterday and today, it was much colder and it was raining.

I wish we had snow here in Kansas City. We average 15'+. We've only had 5'. Sucks. I'm coming form a '04 RX8 and was looking forward to trying out my AWD this winter!

I heard that We've had the wettest winter ever here in Portland, Oregon.

This is the worst El Nino Weather season that I can remember (ain't no youngster either). Twas a sunny 72 d,f yesterday and we have about 8-10" od crapola today!...Can't wait for spring:(

Wild. It snowed the other night, here. The day before, it was 70*F and sunny. I'm so glad I don't have snow tires, lol! I would be swapping that s*** daily.

64 degrees last night with 2.5 inches of rain, wind and lightning...

Wild. It snowed the other night, here. The day before, it was 70*F and sunny. I'm so glad I don't have snow tires, lol! I would be swapping that s*** daily.

So what's your expert verdict on the CX-5's snow capability now that you've been getting snow every other day? (whistle)

So what's your expert verdict on the CX-5's snow capability now that you've been getting snow every other day? (whistle)

It didn't really stick around. It was more like sleet/slush on the road surface (about 1" deep at the worst). I was unable to lose traction, even slamming on the brakes (at a low speed, albeit) doing down a fairly steep grade. I can't really say, as the ground was still warm from the previous day in the 70's. No ice.

It didn't really stick around. It was more like sleet/slush on the road surface (about 1" deep at the worst). I was unable to lose traction, even slamming on the brakes (at a low speed, albeit) doing down a fairly steep grade. I can't really say, as the ground was still warm from the previous day in the 70's. No ice.

Hardly the type of weather that would lead to swapping winter tires on/off!

Hardly the type of weather that would lead to swapping winter tires on/off!

But how would you know? It wasn't even supposed to rain, much less snow. So who's to say the temps couldn't have kept dropping? I've been out camping on my mountain before. It was 50*F or so when the sun set. I started a fire. By 0100hrs, actual temp was 13*F, and wind-chill made for 0*F. Weather is crazy in the south. We get snow one day, and it is gone. Or maybe it piles up a few feet. Who knows? So either you swap tires randomly, not at all, or what?

We get snow one day, and it is gone. Or maybe it piles up a few feet. Who knows? So either you swap tires randomly, not at all, or what?

Mountain weather is unpredictable wherever there are mountains. But you don't swap out summers for winters just because you got a little white stuff on 70 degree pavement. Use some common sense. Yes, put them on if it's piling up "a few feet".

Mountain weather is unpredictable wherever there are mountains. But you don't swap out summers for winters just because you got a little white stuff on 70 degree pavement. Use some common sense. Yes, put them on if it's piling up "a few feet".

So after the snow hits 6", maybe go outside and put them on?

Well, of course I need to go places. I just find it a bit annoying to be swapping things like that in 0-10*F weather.

If you can't handle the cold then you have other options:

1) Do it in a garage.
2) Accept the much lower performance/capability/safety of "one size fits all" tire solution.
3) You can pay a shop to do it but this is not a good solution unless you're ahead of the curve because tire shops are typically over-booked once the winter nasty hits.

This is not rocket science and, for me, the huge difference in driving pleasure/safety/performance/capability between summer/winter tires is easily worth a few cold digits. Personally, I watch the latest forecast models and, if my schedule allows, put them on right before the arctic air mass enters the area. But sometimes that's not possible and I'm doing it when the temps are well below freezing. No harm in it as long as you take common sense precautions to avoid frostbite (wear mechanics gloves, start with warm tools).

I think we are becoming a nation of softies who never would have survived the historic American trips across the Continent west of the Mississippi without heated seats and internal combustion engines. Of course that was before video games, GPS navigation devices, comfort inns and snowplows. Nike marketing had it right "Just do it!".

If you can't handle the cold then you have other options:

1) Do it in a garage.
2) Accept the much lower performance/capability/safety of "one size fits all" tire solution.
3) You can pay a shop to do it but this is not a good solution unless you're ahead of the curve because tire shops are typically over-booked once the winter nasty hits.

This is not rocket science and, for me, the huge difference in driving pleasure/safety/performance/capability between summer/winter tires is easily worth a few cold digits. Personally, I watch the latest forecast models and, if my schedule allows, put them on right before the arctic air mass enters the area. But sometimes that's not possible and I'm doing it when the temps are well below freezing. No harm in it as long as you take common sense precautions to avoid frostbite (wear mechanics gloves, start with warm tools).

I think we are becoming a nation of softies who never would have survived the historic American trips across the Continent west of the Mississippi without heated seats and internal combustion engines. Of course that was before video games, GPS navigation devices, comfort inns and snowplows. Nike marketing had it right "Just do it!".
Maybe I'm unique, but after a 12 hour shift, I just want to go home. Not muck around in 0 degree weather in the parkinglot. Ymmv. I'll take the 1 size fits all limitations.

As to being "soft"? Everyone has a situation that makes the wheels fall off the bus. Might be negative temps. Or having to shoot someone. Or being stuck in a confined space. Or. Who knows? But one thing is sure. Everyone has that situation.

That said...no sense having a rough go without necessity, either!

Back