WEATHERTECHS VS OEM in the rear

Drogos

So first of all why are OEM mats some $40 more than Weather techs?...I am pretty sure I am checking the right items and amazon is usually accurate representation of best value.
Your thoughts on fitment and overall usability? I had weathertechs in 2 cars so while I am not in love especially considering the price ....these do the job fairly well. One piece for both 2 and 3 row so removing for cleaning should there be sand/mud/water, will be PITA. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

So first of all why are OEM mats some $40 more than Weather techs?...I am pretty sure I am checking the right items and amazon is usually accurate representation of best value.
Your thoughts on fitment and overall usability? I had weathertechs in 2 cars so while I am not in love especially considering the price ....these do the job fairly well. One piece for both 2 and 3 row so removing for cleaning should there be sand/mud/water, will be PITA. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

I have the Weathertechs and the front row is awesome. The 2nd and 3rd one-piece implementation is, like you said, a PITA. I would probably not get it if I had to do it all over again. In addition, the mat gets caught in the 2nd row rails almost always. This gets to be a real PITA on the occasion that I do have 3rd row passengers wanting to enter/exit. I think it's due to the mats being too light that it doesn't have enough weight to stay put and keep in place. The 2nd and 3rd row OEM mats would probably be better (although I cannot vouch for, obviously, since I did not get them).

I had Weathertechs in our old FX35 and those were phenomenal for both rows. It is this one piece 2nd and 3rd row implementation that screws it up for the CX-9.

Last edited:
Yeh, I am using 3rd row seat all the time and u seem to confirm what others say about mats being in the way. Thanks for feedback...oem it is

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I originally bought the WeatherTech Mats for the 1st and 2nd row and left the carpeted mat for the 3rd row since it would be rarely used. The front mats have been awesome, even after three years, but the 2nd row mats did not fit properly between the rails in the floor or behind the front seats. They never stayed in place and I hated the way they looked.

The solution was ordering the WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit for the 2nd/3rd row! It's a single piece but very easy to remove for cleaning when needed. It fits perfectly around each of the seat tracks in the floor and flush against the rear mounts for the front seats. An added bonus is that the FloorLiners have a lip which is perfect for containing spills or even mud and not getting the carpet dirty. I highly recommend it!

WeatherTech CX-9

As an added plug for WeatherTech products- I also ordered the clear, pre-cut LampGard protectors for my CX-9 ($54.95) and that includes the headlights and the fog lights. They are still invisible to the naked eye and I can see a few spots where they've deflected rocks or other road debris that could have damaged the Xenon headlamps...not a part that I even want to think about replacing!

Last edited:
Oh we are certainly talking liners here. Standard WeatherTechs are not even worth the trouble imo

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I originally bought the WeatherTech Mats for the 1st and 2nd row and left the carpeted mat for the 3rd row since it would be rarely used. The front mats have been awesome, even after three years, but the 2nd row mats did not fit properly between the rails in the floor or behind the front seats. They never stayed in place and I hated the way they looked.

The solution was ordering the WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit for the 2nd/3rd row! It's a single piece but very easy to remove for cleaning when needed. It fits perfectly around each of the seat tracks in the floor and flush against the rear mounts for the front seats. An added bonus is that the FloorLiners have a lip which is perfect for containing spills or even mud and not getting the carpet dirty. I highly recommend it!

I do have the WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit for the 2nd/3rd row, and the one-piece implementation is the design flaw, IMO. There's a piece that lays around the seat tracks between the passenger-side and driver-side 2nd row and that piece gets caught between the tracks almost always. It hinders the passenger-side 2nd row split bench from moving freely if a 3rd row passenger has to enter/exit. Once it gets caught, the rest of the liner gets out of place. The OEM weather mats have those tabs that would hold it in place more securely.

Also, when removing for cleaning, if the liner is already dirty with sand or debris, all that stuff will drop onto the floor if the liner isn't vacuumed up first. So, yes, it is easy to hose down the liner but you'd have to make the extra effort of pre-cleaning it before removal. I realize that you'd probably have to do the same if the liner was split between rows, but I think it would be easier to contain the debris should one decide not to vacuum it first, as opposed to the one-piece where you have no choice but to vacuum first. Again, just my opinion based on having the liners for more than 5 years now. The OEM liners seem to be better in this application.

Last edited:
I have the OEM mats in all three rows. In all locations the fit is perfect. The mats work their way around the seat slide rails and give pretty complete coverage (other than the rails themselves which remain perfectly designed to collect dirt, crumbs, etc.). Installation is a pain. Where the carpeted mats have thin plastic tabs that hold them in place by sliding under the bezels for the seat rails, the rubber mats have much thicker rubber tabs. I found it extremely annoying to get the tabs in place and have therefore only removed the mats once in over 6 years with the car. My only other issue is with durability. They've held up fine everywhere except where the heal of my right foot rests while driving. I wore a hole in that spot relatively quickly. My mats are from 2009 so its possible that these issues have been addressed.

Just ordered OEMs for 2/3 row. 108 shipped. Best price I could find online. Fronts can wait but I will most likely go with WT. thanks for all the input

I have the OEM mats in all three rows. In all locations the fit is perfect. The mats work their way around the seat slide rails and give pretty complete coverage (other than the rails themselves which remain perfectly designed to collect dirt, crumbs, etc.). Installation is a pain. Where the carpeted mats have thin plastic tabs that hold them in place by sliding under the bezels for the seat rails, the rubber mats have much thicker rubber tabs. I found it extremely annoying to get the tabs in place and have therefore only removed the mats once in over 6 years with the car. My only other issue is with durability. They've held up fine everywhere except where the heal of my right foot rests while driving. I wore a hole in that spot relatively quickly. My mats are from 2009 so its possible that these issues have been addressed.

Thanks for the feedback on the OEM mats for 2nd/3rd row. If it makes you feel any better, I've also only removed the Weathertech mats once (ok, maybe twice) to hose it down mainly due to the pre-vacuuming issue I described in my previous post. Just goes to show that nothing is perfect. I do recommend replacing your front mats with Weathertech liners if you felt the need to do so. My front liners are still flawless.

the mat gets caught in the 2nd row rails almost always. This gets to be a real PITA on the occasion that I do have 3rd row passengers wanting to enter/exit.

Ive had the weathertechs for 2 winter now, and only use the car when both my boys ride with, The oldest whos child seat is in the 3rd row. Ive yet to EVER have any issue with the weathertechs catching on the seat when i move it forward.

So this isnt an issue across the line. Looks like its a problem some have, but others dont. I will agree that the 2nd row section i wish could be removed easier. But its not horrible. Its better then the OEM carpet ones it replaced which were a ******* nightmare.

3D MAXpider all weather floor mats

Just got these from Amazon and are they ever great! The spider arms at the back really holds it securely in place. The top is completely waterproof and it is goes up fairly high on the sides. Overall great product!
How do I post pictures here?😆

Back