2016 Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Top Safety Pick+ Winners

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Every year the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety evaluates the safety of the latest and greatest vehicles available in the United States and awards the best performing vehicles their Top Safety Pick and Top Safety Pick+ rating. According to the IIHS, there were 48 vehicles awarded a TSP+ rating for 2016. Among those, here are the favorite vehicles in two-row crossover category by Motor Trend:

#1: Honda CR-V
BBoRoQ2.img

#2: Volvo XC60
BBoRrks.img

#3: Toyota RAV4
BBoRDU0.img

#4: Hyundai Tucson
BBoRwxT.img

#5: Mazda CX-5
BBoRz1G.img

2016 IIHS TSP+ Winners

Last edited:
The Mazda's driver seems further away from the impact especially the knees. The CRV driver's knees appear to have been impacted where the Mazda driver has more distance.

Yeah, I noticed that too - the impact on all the other vehicles crushed up to the side mirrors whereas the Mazda wasn't anywhere near the mirror. Interesting.

The object the Mazda hit is different than the others as well.

Here you go. I guess its in line with the others in its class. Also this is a side impact test as opposed to head on which I thought it originally was.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah thats what I meant...thanks.

I think your original photo was simply an earlier frame in the sequence. Check out the curtain airbags, they haven't fully deployed while in the other cars they have.

Look at roof strength too...

CX-5 - Peak force 18,209 lbs
RAV4 - Peak force 17,575 lbs
Rogue - Peak force 17,189 lbs
CRV - Peak force 17,159 lbs
Santa Fe - Peak force 16,982 lbs
Impreza - Peak force 15,525 lbs

Look at roof strength too...

CX-5 - Peak force 18,209 lbs
RAV4 - Peak force 17,575 lbs
Rogue - Peak force 17,189 lbs
CRV - Peak force 17,159 lbs
Santa Fe - Peak force 16,982 lbs
Impreza - Peak force 15,525 lbs

A few years ago I read that the cx-5 actually broke the machine that tested that.

2013-mazda-cx-5-roof-strength.jpg

Yeah, I noticed that too - the impact on all the other vehicles crushed up to the side mirrors whereas the Mazda wasn't anywhere near the mirror. Interesting.

Worrisome is what it is, IMO. If you notice, the CX-5 stopped a lot more harshly, evidenced by the rear tires almost being lifted in the photo, while the others are solidly on all 4s. Lot more impact force transmitted to the passenger/driver.

Last edited:
There's a thread somewhere around here where a poster had his flipped on its roof and skidded down a Houston freeway. Structurally it appeared pretty good and he walked away. Then he bought a new one.

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...n-MY16-and-ended-up-with-a-grand-in-my-pocket

Glad OP in that thread is well!

Yes, this is good. Everyone I know freaked when I bought an SUV because of all the roll-over problems. Sports car, you just slide (typically). I remember one time I spun out doing around 65 in my 370Z and slid down an embankment. I was keeping pace with traffic in a rain storm when it hydroplaned. I have NEVER had a vehicle do that before, and have done some seriously stupid things in the rain storms as a kid (100+mph) in past sports cars with NO issue. Anyway, I lifted, hoping the shift would plant the front tires. It didn't. I slowly SLOWLY squeezed the brakes just a touch, hoping that would plant the front end. VDC kicked in and screwed that to hell, and that's when the schumer hit the fan. Basically, I slammed the clutch in to prevent the engine from being stressed/spun backwards and hung on for the ride while the car did a 180 and slid off the road and down an embankment. Car was fine, I got out and did a walk-around to be sure, and then drove up the embankment and left, no worse for the wear, thankfully!

An SUV would have rolled like a dog.

*I had only 7k miles on the tires, and the tread was at around 8/32 or so. Bridgestone Potenza's. came on the car. Removed them and replaced with Michelin PSS's, and rain performance changed DRAMATICALLY. Screw Potenzas. If you cannot keep pace with traffic without being a risk...it's a bad DD tire.

The Mazda's driver seems further away from the impact especially the knees. The CRV driver's knees appear to have been impacted where the Mazda driver has more distance.

If they whose job is to test and verify say CX5 is #5, it is #5.

Back