Cooling fan keeps running after turning off engine

If by "spirited drive" you mean passing cars one after another and staying at 80+mph, I think that's what I did when I had the fan stayed on afterward.

No by spirited I mean driving on back country roads that I know very well, usually going to redline in 2nd or 3rd. Repeat for several miles, things get HOT.

This to keep remaining oil in the turbo from coking up due to the high heat

You reminded me of days in my youth running my '84 Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo (1.8L/116 bhp) for a minute or two before shutdown. :)

EDIT: Mine was black... fender skirts and all

1984-Mitsubishi-Cordia-Turbo-Front.jpg

From the manual:
NOTE
l The cooling fan in the engine compartment
could turn on for a few minutes after the
ignition is switched from ON to OFF,
whether or not the A/C is on or off, to cool
the engine compartment quickly.

I had this happen to me 2 weeks ago, I thought there was something wrong with my fairly new CX5. it was around 5 degrees Celcuis, but I was driving head first into around 80KM/per hour winds. I drove for around 40KM this way, I also noticed that my CX5 was drinking the gas during this particular trip. I was driving 110km/hour, so I guess with the wind against the car it was working it a bit too hard.

If the engine gets hot enough and then shut off, yeah the fans will come on as well as an aux water pump to circulate the coolant through to cool it down quicker. I have had this happen to me once and it was about -20c. I had to get across a peice of road and it was about 1 foot deep in snow that was fresh snow on top, and packed stuff on the bottom. I turned off T/C and locked it into first and gunned it. I made it thanks to the wheelspin and the momentum but my engine was revving around 4,000-6,000rpm for about a minute straight. No lights came on, but I shut the car off and the fans came on.

I was driving at about 70mph for 20 minutes in 60*F weather the other day, and the fan came on for 2 minutes after I shut off the engine. There was also a burning smell, just like when I first got the car in October. Now I wonder if because I had the car closer to winter, whatever the protective coating they put on the engine to protect it in shipping hasn't burnt off completely yet until now. Would that coating also affect heat dissipation?

Engine oil is still near the full mark, coolant level is slightly above the middle of L and F.

We just bought a cx-5 yesterday about 50 miles on it on it now. my wife just ran to store about 12 mile round trip and when she pulled in garage and shut it off the radiator fan continued to run for a couple of minutes. This happened offen on various motorcycles I have owned (I rode em HARD) but I never had it happen on any car I can recall...my wife is a bit of a lead foot but not real bad.... but I am thinking two factors may be at work First that it is a brand new TIGHT engine far from broken in yet so more friction and heat than when all the tolerances are worn in correctly? But secondly and I think more of a consideration is that we live in mountainous area where it was all UPHILL curvy roads on her way home from the store...not only that but our house sits on a hilltop with like a 1/4 mile steep driveway (well maybe not THAT long but pretty LONG!) ...so it makes some sense that the motor would build some heat climbing up here....did not do it last night however when we came home from dealer ...same uphill route exactly ....but then it was like 15 degrees cooler last night too...does anyone else here that has fan run on have uphill driving sections just before shut off?? Maybe THAT is key? It is after all a pretty small engine...no?

Mine still has the fan running extra occasionally, but it did more frequent at the beginning. Do you find burning smell in the garage? There's definitely some protective coating, I smelled mine for quite a while as I don't drive hard often enough. I guess the coat does limit heat dissipating a bit, I don't find the fan running as often after the smell is gone.

Mine still has the fan running extra occasionally, but it did more frequent at the beginning. Do you find burning smell in the garage? There's definitely some protective coating, I smelled mine for quite a while as I don't drive hard often enough. I guess the coat does limit heat dissipating a bit, I don't find the fan running as often after the smell is gone.

Yeah when you first reported this is was in winter in Minn which was odd. How long are your trips?

The trips that caused the fan running were mostly 5-8 miles, but I did drive a little aggressive (80mph on highway, quick acceleration going up the ramp/hill). The fan did run once in the last 3 months after a trip like that in 10-20*F of MN, of course heat was on, not AC.

The trips that caused the fan running were mostly 5-8 miles, but I did drive a little aggressive (80mph on highway, quick acceleration going up the ramp/hill). The fan did run once in the last 3 months after a trip like that in 10-20*F of MN, of course heat was on, not AC.

Getting into higher rpms and driving up hills could cause the engine to heat up a bit. Makes sense now. I thought you just took an easy trip to the grocery store or something. Once in a blue moon I like to redline the car (after its warmed up of course) a couple of times during a trip to the store or something. This would be a cause for the fan to stay on for a bit.

My 2013 CX5 had the fan run on today. It has done it once before a couple of years ago under identical circumstances (same trip, similar temperature) so is repeatable. Circumstances were:
Drive for about 1 hour (everything at operating temp)
Ambient temperature about 23C.
Aircon on (ECO mode, not working too hard)
Last 5 minutes before stopping was a long uphill climb at 100 kmph for a few minutes, mostly in 6th gear but needed 5th gear near the top so engine was working hard but not at max power. Then a steep winding descent at about 70 kmph for about 2 minutes. Finally a brief steep uphill at 30-50 kmph for about 20 seconds.
Both cooling fans ran on for several minutes even though engine bay and air through fans was not hot.
It can be a bit disconcerting when it happens for no apparent reason. I thought I had a stuck fan relay and it may run the battery flat but it stopped by itself and was exactly the same circumstance as previously.
The only odd thing is that it hasn't happened on any other occasions including super hot days like 40C but different trips.
My guess is that the run-on is normal and due to a temperature sensor somewhere in the drive train remaining unusually hot.

be sure to check your coolant level when the engine is cool. top up with coolant that is the same colour as the factory fill (green for me) or use distilled water.

I noticed that the radiator fan will stay on running briefly if you have driven aggressively before parking and caused the motor to heat up. it will only stay on if the coolant reaches a certain temperature, and it's normal.

you can just pop the hood if you hear the fan running to let the hot air escape quicker.

I had this happen in my 07 Mazda 6s 3.0L V6... The first few times it would stay on after turning the key off for a few minutes, then eventually got longer and longer. A few weeks later it would stay on after turning the car off and the only way to stop it was to disconnect the battery. Once that happened I took it to the dealer and found out the FCM (fan control module) located in the dash had failed. Had it replaced under the warranty and it fixed the issue. Just something to think about.

I had this happen in my 07 Mazda 6s 3.0L V6... The first few times it would stay on after turning the key off for a few minutes, then eventually got longer and longer. A few weeks later it would stay on after turning the car off and the only way to stop it was to disconnect the battery. Once that happened I took it to the dealer and found out the FCM (fan control module) located in the dash had failed. Had it replaced under the warranty and it fixed the issue. Just something to think about.

If the FCM failed, the fan will be running much more often the. It should, even when the engine doesn’t need to be cooled.

If the fan runs every single time you shut the car off and for more then a minute, it’s probably the FCM unless you just drive the car super hard.

All my three Mazdas ('14 Mazda3, '16 Mazda6 and '17 CX5) have the same issue.
The radiator fan keeps going for a couple minutes.
We don't drive them aggressively.

This is very normal if your drives are long enough for engine to heat up.
Don't worry about it.
They have been doing that since new.
No issue with coolant or anything.

Last edited:
I've never had mine come on after turning the car off. I would think summer towing would make this happen.

Back