Mazda SKYACTIV Oil Filter with washer, 5 Quarts 0w20 Moly Oil, Air and Cabin Filter

A good deal with the engine and cabin filters. Get two to get the free shipping.

http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-oil-cabin-air-filter.html

That's a really good deal!

After 3 plus years of ownership, I'm very impressed with the very low cost of ownership, even when using premium quality oil like the Mazda Moly synthetic. Haven't needed spark plugs, brake pads, battery, belts or any lightbulbs or fuses yet. It's not needed a wheel alignment or headlight adjustment either. Still on the original tires from 2012 too (but only because I swap winter tires on 5 months/year). Everything on this car just keeps working without intervention except for oil changes and filters. And it barely sips any gas at all. The OEM air filter is rated to 35,000 miles!

I wish all cars were this easy/inexpensive to own. 3 out of 4 of my motorcycles cost more to own and take more of my personal time compared to the CX-5!

Does anyone know if there's a bigger size oil filter which can fit the same location without any mods for CX5? I have always put the biggest sized oil filter possible. For example - my 4-cylinder Corolla can take the Camry 6-cylinder bigger filter and have always used Camry's. It gives me substantially better filtration with the bypass not activating (i think).

Why is this better? 5 quarts oil + cabin + air + oil filter is anyways coming to the same price, maybe even slightly less?

Does anyone know if there's a bigger size oil filter which can fit the same location without any mods for CX5? I have always put the biggest sized oil filter possible. For example - my 4-cylinder Corolla can take the Camry 6-cylinder bigger filter and have always used Camry's. It gives me substantially better filtration with the bypass not activating (i think).

There is zero benefit to running a bigger oil filter. Nada. Zilch.

A reasonable price you are def paying for shipping. This combination adds up to about $66 at my dealers prices.

There is zero benefit to running a bigger oil filter. Nada. Zilch.

Explain please?

All things being equal, a larger filter has two key benefits - 1) more oil capacity in the system, which helps extend useful life, and keep temperatures down, 2) more filter area means greater dirt holding capacity and therefore greater filtered flow for longer, before filter media saturation and bypass valve actuation.

The only thing that matters beyond these factors is fitment, burst strength, and most importantly bypass opening pressure value. Fitment is straight forward, burst strength is rarely much of a concern, and bypass opening pressure is often published, or can be determined by dissecting a filter.

Not sure where this logic fails. I am NOT looking at some after-market filters, same company's OEM filter, just larger size.

Last edited:
The OEM filter filters all the oil and it does it without plugging up between service intervals. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Trying to outsmart the engineers as to what kind of oil filtration their engine needs is a fools game.

That's a really good deal!

After 3 plus years of ownership, I'm very impressed with the very low cost of ownership, even when using premium quality oil like the Mazda Moly synthetic. Haven't needed spark plugs, brake pads, battery, belts or any lightbulbs or fuses yet. It's not needed a wheel alignment or headlight adjustment either. Still on the original tires from 2012 too (but only because I swap winter tires on 5 months/year). Everything on this car just keeps working without intervention except for oil changes and filters. And it barely sips any gas at all. The OEM air filter is rated to 35,000 miles!

I wish all cars were this easy/inexpensive to own. 3 out of 4 of my motorcycles cost more to own and take more of my personal time compared to the CX-5!

How do you know? I have been amazed by alignments, honestly. Example: I had a 2001 WS.6, and I wore the tires out on it after about 40k miles. They wore very evenly. I had new tires put on, and skipped the alignment (college student...), and went on a trip to visit my mother. IN 1200 miles, I nearly killed the left front tire the alignment was off so bad. Next case is my Jeep. It had the OEM tires on it when I bought it...4 years and 68k miles after it was first sold. It also had rotted out control arm bushings on the front LCA's, and the struts were DONE. I replaced the front LCA's on both sides, and the struts with Bilsteins. I then had tires/an alignment. I asked them to show me before/after specs, and the alignment was so close to "on" before they adjusted anything, that the guy said it really wasn't "off". I cannot read an alignment sheet, but nearly everything was in range for Firestone's spec sheet. I was blown away.

Headlight alignment...why would you ever do this? Serious question. I've never done it, even on 20+ year old cars.

Also, yes, I am amazed at how stoopid cheap this car is to own compared to my Jeep. Even things that should cost the same (say, rear diff fluid changes), are almost 50% cheaper in the Mazda.

The OEM filter filters all the oil and it does it without plugging up between service intervals. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Trying to outsmart the engineers as to what kind of oil filtration their engine needs is a fools game.

They ran blocker plates in the 60's to save parasitic losses ("race cars"). My cousin is an old-school mechanic, and his opinion is "If there is anything in your motor that a filter will catch, your motor is shot, anyways". Now that does NOT!!! go for air filters, and he DID run oil filters on his dirt-track cars, but what he was driving at was this oil filter thing is WAY overblown. I think so, too, remembering back to my days at Ford where part of our sales "points" was the oil filter size of the 5.4L Triton V8 vs. that of the 5.6L Tundra. Silliness.

Air filters on the other hand...I get OCD about those. I prefer Cosworth and AC Delco, but I am sure any paper or synthetic fiber OEM will be fine. I kindof hate FRAM everything, though.

Explain please?

All things being equal, a larger filter has two key benefits - 1) more oil capacity in the system, which helps extend useful life, and keep temperatures down, 2) more filter area means greater dirt holding capacity and therefore greater filtered flow for longer, before filter media saturation and bypass valve actuation.

The only thing that matters beyond these factors is fitment, burst strength, and most importantly bypass opening pressure value. Fitment is straight forward, burst strength is rarely much of a concern, and bypass opening pressure is often published, or can be determined by dissecting a filter.

Not sure where this logic fails. I am NOT looking at some after-market filters, same company's OEM filter, just larger size.

Depending on the oil system, a larger filter may cause a longer time between crank-over, and pressurization of the system, if the car has sat for a few days.

Depending on the oil system, a larger filter may cause a longer time between crank-over, and pressurization of the system, if the car has sat for a few days.

That's BS. The CX-5 oil filter is mounted inverted. Oil cannot drain out of it no matter how many days it sits unused. Even with a one gallon oil filter the oil system will pressurize at the exact same moment. Oil is essentially non-compressible so the delay of pressurization you claim does not exist.

See this thread:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-Filter-using-longer-one-instead-of-OEM-spec&

That's BS. The CX-5 oil filter is mounted inverted. Oil cannot drain out of it no matter how many days it sits unused. Even with a one gallon oil filter the oil system will pressurize at the exact same moment. Oil is essentially non-compressible so the delay of pressurization you claim does not exist.

...depending on the oil system...

Not every vehicle is a CX5.

There's no longer oil filter (without the anti drain back valve) that fits the skyactiv engines. There are longer ones from Mobil 1 and Wix to name a few that do fit. The 2 problems are the said ADBV being present and the pressure specs of the longer filters don't meet Mazda's skyactiv specs. So any filtration benefits (remember oem is already more than enough to filter through 10k+ miles) gets negated by those 2 cons.

For those in Europe, kindly post what your service manual states for your oil (and OEM filter) change interval.

Back