Dash rattle near/under drivers side speaker?

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense
I've been getting a rather annoying rattle from what sounds like the speaker grill cover for the drivers dash speaker. Either that or from somewhere in that area. Has anyone else ran across or experienced a similar rattle? How do you pop off the speaker grill? I don't want to be pulling on the wrong part and break the grill or anything.

Have the same issue, haven't had a chance to take the speaker grill off and possibly put some foam tape in there, but it definitely is annoying.

I had the same issue in my 14 Touring, my 16 GT seems to be ok so far. I only noticed the issue in my 14 when the temps were below freezing (or so).

I removed the speaker grill by using a plastic trim remover (has a flat blade like end), you just need something to place in between the speaker grill and the dash.. It is just held on by plastic tabs.

Pry up on the area closest to the driver, then once lifted up pull towards you to slide the rear tabs out of position.

I placed foam tape in the area around the speaker, I don't remember exactly where. You just want to create a tighter seal to prevent the speaker grill from bouncing up and down. If that doesn't work you may need to trim down some of the foam tape to place on a few edges of the grill to create a tighter fit between it and the dash it butts up against.

So does anyone know how to remove the speaker grill? And what "foam tape" would be the recommended go to for stopping rattles in there? I've never been able to find that wide flat open cell foam tape like they wrap stuff in.

I had the same issue in my 14 Touring, my 16 GT seems to be ok so far. I only noticed the issue in my 14 when the temps were below freezing (or so).

I removed the speaker grill by using a plastic trim remover (has a flat blade like end), you just need something to place in between the speaker grill and the dash.. It is just held on by plastic tabs.

Pry up on the area closest to the driver, then once lifted up pull towards you to slide the rear tabs out of position.

I placed foam tape in the area around the speaker, I don't remember exactly where. You just want to create a tighter seal to prevent the speaker grill from bouncing up and down. If that doesn't work you may need to trim down some of the foam tape to place on a few edges of the grill to create a tighter fit between it and the dash it butts up against.

i have the same issue when it's cold outside rattle on the right side , now i know where to look

Yeah I started noticing this when it got colder and seems to lessen when the car gets warmer. So know I know where to look and that it's probably the grill itself bouncing. What foam tape should I use? The stuff from hardware stores for air conditioners and door jams and what not?

So does anyone know how to remove the speaker grill? And what "foam tape" would be the recommended go to for stopping rattles in there? I've never been able to find that wide flat open cell foam tape like they wrap stuff in.

I explained how to remove the speaker grill above...

Place something flat in between the front portion of the speaker grill and the dash and pry up on the grill. The front portion of the grill can be pulled up toward the windshield, then pull the grill toward you to pull the tabs free from the rear. Just be careful what you use to pry up on the grill so as not to do damage to it or the dash.

Use the weather stripping foam tape with adhesive on one side. It comes in a roll and in different thicknesses. You don't need the super thick stuff. You can double up on it if you decide you need something thicker, or if too thick trim some off with a new razor blade to make it thinner.

Hey woody, I didn't know why but it put my post after yours. I think I was typing as you posted cause I didn't see your post on how to remove the grill. I got it now though so thanks.

Hey woody, I didn't know why but it put my post after yours. I think I was typing as you posted cause I didn't see your post on how to remove the grill. I got it now though so thanks.

10-4 no worries.(drinks)

You could honestly use whatever you have on hand to "thicken" it up. I have some double sided 3M tape that is old that I may shove in there.

Hi all, first time poster. I have my new CX-5 for 6 months now and straight up, it is a fantastic car!

My only irritation is this really annoying rattle, like a knocking noise, from the dash edge near the driver’s speaker/A-pillar/windscreen when the outside temperature is cold. I can stop it by pressing on the speaker grille or putting a wedge from the top side between the dash edge and the windscreen. The rattle disappears when the car warms up.
What I have done during the winter/spring months so far:

• Removed the A-pillar trim, speaker grille and speaker altogether but the rattle persisted (not the grille, unlike above)
• Placed a wedge between the dash and windscreen from the underside of the dash edge through the speaker opening so that it is not visible.
• Placed another wedge between the dash and the A-pillar.
• Removed the cowl panel in engine bay, placed felt pads under bolt mounts and re-fitted securely.
• When the cowl grille was off, discovered 1 of the 2 bolts that secures the dash to the firewall from the engine side was quite loose, re-tightened.

This morning was cold again for the first time in a while … and it’s still there!!!

A quick search of this, the UK and German forums indicate that this is a very common and ongoing problem in multiple regions for a long time now:

http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=355.0
http://www.cx5-forum.de/f11/2012-bj-quietschen-armaturenbretts-kalten-zustand-5972.html
http://www.mazda-forum.info/mazda-c...geraeusche-vom-armaturenbrett-bei-kaelte.html

Wondering has anybody actually fixed this rattle, either themselves or their dealer? Mazda must surely be aware of this, they have issued a number of past TSB’s in this general area but new CX-5’s like mine still have the problem.

I agree with you on all that you said. I put foam tape on the speaker grill and it did nothing. I took the grill and speaker out and it still rattles. Like you, if I press down in that area i can get it to stop. I haven't had much time to chase rattles. I thought I saw a tsb for older models complaining about such dash rattles, I think it said the windshield had to be removed to place felt tape somewhere.

I've had mt 2015 a short time and I've noticed a slight rattling also. I've discovered that while driving I rest my leg on the door and from time to time I decrease the pressure for one reason or the other and it makes a noise. I don't know why but it's not too irritating.

@ Ride92

I know the TSB you are referring to:

http://am.mazdaserviceinfo.com/mazdaesi/index?page=detail_pagelet&id=TSB1127&actionPrint=print

I can just see the leading edge of the bracket from under the dash and can confirm that the felt pad is present ... although Mazda should have used something more substantial like adhesive sponge imho. It just doesn't sound like a plastic noise to me and I don't believe that the dash plastic hardens that much in colder weather either. I think when you press down in that area, you are actually pressing on this bracket which is riveted to the firewall and putting tension on metal somewhere, maybe even outside. Hence why I went after the cowl panel per another TSB which was remarkably easy to do and rule out. I don't mind spending an hour or 2 at the weekend hunting this down but I won't be removing the windshield ...

@ shooter357

You shouldn't have to many cold mornings in Jacksonville (FL?) to worry about :)

Keep me informed on what you find and if you're ever able to eliminate the rattle. It drives me nuts. I'll look into doing the other steps that you have taken and see if I have any luck on my end. I'll also bring it up to the service guys when I take my car in next week for an oil change and other things.

Will do. Weather is warming up now thankfully so should not hear it again until Winter. Would be interested to hear what your service guys say. On the previous Mazda 6, the dash could be pulled back into the cabin 5-6" with a bit of unbolting etc. to get access to the dash edge. Seems maddening that the CX-5 needs the windscreen removed to do the same thing. Let me know if you want help with the cowl panel if you decide to do it, I took photos with it removed and where I placed the sticky foam pads between the metal to metal joints.

Splinter Cell, did you manage to find the rattle cause? I've the same issue on my 2016 CX-5, it seems to be located in front of the driver. It's not the left dashboard speaker, but it's somewhere underneath. If I press the dashboard just a little bit (in front of the driver, where the dashboard meets the windshield) it ends. In can be also triggered by pushing the dashboard where it covers the speedometer.

My video of the issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrfzyxUELww

Hi all, first time poster. I have my new CX-5 for 6 months now and straight up, it is a fantastic car!

My only irritation is this really annoying rattle, like a knocking noise, from the dash edge near the drivers speaker/A-pillar/windscreen when the outside temperature is cold. I can stop it by pressing on the speaker grille or putting a wedge from the top side between the dash edge and the windscreen. The rattle disappears when the car warms up.
What I have done during the winter/spring months so far:

Removed the A-pillar trim, speaker grille and speaker altogether but the rattle persisted (not the grille, unlike above)
Placed a wedge between the dash and windscreen from the underside of the dash edge through the speaker opening so that it is not visible.
Placed another wedge between the dash and the A-pillar.
Removed the cowl panel in engine bay, placed felt pads under bolt mounts and re-fitted securely.
When the cowl grille was off, discovered 1 of the 2 bolts that secures the dash to the firewall from the engine side was quite loose, re-tightened.

This morning was cold again for the first time in a while and its still there!!!

A quick search of this, the UK and German forums indicate that this is a very common and ongoing problem in multiple regions for a long time now:

http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=355.0
http://www.cx5-forum.de/f11/2012-bj-quietschen-armaturenbretts-kalten-zustand-5972.html
http://www.mazda-forum.info/mazda-c...geraeusche-vom-armaturenbrett-bei-kaelte.html

Wondering has anybody actually fixed this rattle, either themselves or their dealer? Mazda must surely be aware of this, they have issued a number of past TSBs in this general area but new CX-5s like mine still have the problem.

Hi lomo,

Sorry, havent been here in a while. Short answer is yes, I did. The noise is coming from the interface between the underside of the dash, some ducting support directly underneath and the metal bulkhead bracket right at the location circled. Suspect that when the bulkhead is cold, the bracket moves just enough to allow the noise. Mazda must have been aware of this when they issued a TSB to put felt tape on the bracket, however this is insufficient imo it should have been something thicker and spongier like foam to absorb the movement.

I didnt take any photos unfortunately, but my car is RHD anyway so will use a photo from another thread (about replacing the speaker). You need to remove the speaker cover - I removed the a-pillar trim first to get easy access to the side of the cover and just pull it up and off (no point fixing an intermittent noise and leaving a permanent pry mark). I also removed the speaker as a precaution just in case something slipped and I damaged it. Use a good flash light to look into the top right-hand corner of the opening indicated. Now this is fiddly but you should just about see some plastic sidewall its difficult to say what it is but it appears to be some sort of support for the ventilation ducting. The top of this support is contacting the underside of the dash. Insert a long, narrow screwdriver into the opening and gently pry a small gap between the top of the plastic support and the underside of the dash there should be about 1mm of play. Leaving the screwdriver in place, you will need to insert a small wedge into the gap you have just created before pulling the screwdriver back out. I used an ice-lolly stick wrapped in felt tape and pushed it in beside the screwdriver blade as far as it would go (about 50mm). I left just enough of the stick protruding out of the opening to be able to grab it again if I ever need to remove it in future and cut off the excess. Dont leave too much excess or it will catch on the circular side-wall on the underside of the speaker cover but you can leave some, it should not interfere with the tab on the speaker cover that actually engages in the opening.

Have had a few sub-zero degrees C mornings this winter and not as much as whisper from this area of the dash sorted :)

Attachments

• Dash Rattle Fix 1.jpg
    Dash Rattle Fix 1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 886
  • Dash Rattle Fix 2.jpg
    Dash Rattle Fix 2.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 499
Back