Issues driving at slow speed in traffic

It’s more like you have to get used to it. Every car has its quirks and nuances. Just be thankful you don’t have a cvt equipped car that needs excessive throttle pressure to get going from a standstill. That type of experience is something that crossed off cvt cars from my list.

It’s more like you have to get used to it. Every car has its quirks and nuances. Just be thankful you don’t have a cvt equipped car that needs excessive throttle pressure to get going from a standstill. That type of experience is something that crossed off cvt cars from my list.

All CVTs are not the same!
My wife's 2011 Subaru Legacy's throttle tip-in is almost identical to my CX-5's from a stop.
The only time it's obnoxious is when you floor it and and roars at a constant level as speed increases.
On the other hand, it's far superior climbing hills, always in the sweet spot.

Ok, I did a little experiment on the way home from work. Heavy, stop and go traffic. "Jerking" was present, but admittedly less annoying after reading this thread and understanding the CX-5 better. In the same traffic, I switched to Sport mode and there was noticeably less "jerking". So, maybe use Sport mode in heavy, stop and go traffic. Thoughts?

Ok, I did a little experiment on the way home from work. Heavy, stop and go traffic. "Jerking" was present, but admittedly less annoying after reading this thread and understanding the CX-5 better. In the same traffic, I switched to Sport mode and there was noticeably less "jerking". So, maybe use Sport mode in heavy, stop and go traffic. Thoughts?

Was thinking of doing the same thing with my 2018 although curious to try some of the tips in this thread first.

All CVTs are not the same!
My wife's 2011 Subaru Legacy's throttle tip-in is almost identical to my CX-5's from a stop.
The only time it's obnoxious is when you floor it and and roars at a constant level as speed increases.
On the other hand, it's far superior climbing hills, always in the sweet spot.

Sounds like exactly what these people on this forum rave about regarding Sport Mode...except far more effective and efficient.

My 2015 has none of this. Probably Mazda tightened up the shift schedule to squeak those EPA numbers up a touch, and it resulted in this.

Could be. I notice my transmission is in third by the time I cross a intersection from a stop.

I don't mean that, I mean the time between gears, if that makes sense? Made it "tighter" for lack of a better term, not necessarily more/less "eager". It may have been a tq converter change similar to how they did for the 2016.5? to improve highway mpg.

Back