Issues driving at slow speed in traffic

blitzcraig83

:
2014 Mazda CX-5
OK, i have a used 2014 Mazda CX-5, that i absolutely love other than the fact that it drives terrible in traffic. It jerks at slow speeds and seems incapable of breaking without lunging or jerking forward. It will literally jerk back and forth in those instances in traffic where you have to barely tap the gas. This is really only noticeable in gears 1-3 and only happens at slow speeds. I'm thinking that there may be something going on with the transmission, but i wanted to check and see if anyone else had issues like this. I can't imagine with how nice this car is this is how it is supposed to drive. My CX-5 is an automatic with about 30,000 miles on it

I'd check the transmission fluid level first, there is the dipstick down under the air box. Search here on how to do it.

Do you get the same behavior when you force it into 2nd gear from a stop? If you weren't aware you can manually force it to start in 2nd gear.

Sometimes this happens in first gear at when trying to hold the throttle mid range. Did it on my 2.p0op, and 2.5. Doesn't do it in any other gear.

Mine behaves similarly in traffic. It is very annoying, but I believe it is do to the programming of the ECU to give you optimal fuel mileage, so it'll try to shift into the next higher gear but when that happens you're back on the brakes again.

Every CX-5 I've ever driven/ridden in has a very nice, predictable feel to the transmission. It feels like a six speed manual that is being driven by a Zen master of shifting. And the throttle response of the engine is smooth and predictable.

Does yours have an aftermarket tune, modified intake or exhaust? I know some owners with mods experience less than perfect throttle response. But stock it shouldn't be like that.

When I'm driving in stop-and-go traffic and trying to avoid braking by a maintaining a steady, slow roll in first gear (auto-manual), I find that the car will jerk a bit when changing the throttle input, especially if the change is rapid. I've found that in those driving conditions that I have to be conscious to adjust throttle input more gently/gradually than in higher gears. Perhaps that's what OP is experiencing?

When I'm driving in stop-and-go traffic and trying to avoid braking by a maintaining a steady, slow roll in first gear (auto-manual), I find that the car will jerk a bit when changing the throttle input, especially if the change is rapid. I've found that in those driving conditions that I have to be conscious to adjust throttle input more gently/gradually than in higher gears. Perhaps that's what OP is experiencing?

I'm pretty sure that's what he's referring to. It happens on 2.0 and 2.5L engines and it's popped up on mazda3revolution as well. It's present on completely stock cars. It's annoying to me because sometimes when I see an opportunity to pass, or if I need to change lanes into slightly faster traffic in a stop n go, I will ride first gear so I get max acceleration. Also if it's slow enough that I can just use the 1st gear drag to maintain my speed and it sometimes happens

I find that the car will jerk a bit when changing the throttle input, especially if the change is rapid. I've found that in those driving conditions that I have to be conscious to adjust throttle input more gently/gradually than in higher gears. Perhaps that's what OP is experiencing?

Perhaps. Most drivers learn pretty quickly what to do (and what not to do) to drive the car with smooth control. Erratic or indecisive inputs can be ambiguous and cause undesirable behavior.

For example, if you have it in 1st gear in the mid rpm range with light throttle, the engine is spinning 3000 rpm's but the driveline is very lightly loaded but the torque converter lockout is locked. An indecisive movement of the throttle, like a slight backing off, (or a slight dip in the pavement) can unload the driveline/transmission such that if you then punch it, you will feel driveline snatch when the engine loads it up again. If you are accelerating so slowly at mid rpm's that it's difficult to keep the driveline loaded continuously, it's a good idea to momentarily ease gently on the throttle (to make sure the driveline is loaded) before punching it. A little anticipation will lead to a smooth strong launch with no jerk.

A traditional slushbox masks this behavior with hydraulic slippage. The CX-5 automatic is more like a manual transmission in this situation because the torque converter will be locked up at any speed over 5 mph. If you're not used to driving manuals, you will not have learned proper throttle technique for avoiding driveline snatch but it should come naturally through negative reinforcement. This is a skill that's mandatory on a motorcycle to avoid very bad things from happening, especially if in a turn. In a car it just makes the driver look like a beginner and the shock adds a bit of extra wear to driveline components. Smooth is good.

I've noticed it a bit when using manual mode in first gear, especially when creeping along a parking lot.

Old habits are to break.... after noticing the lurch I actually found myself reaching for the clutch!

The issue at hand isn't about driveline snatch, or a soft lower torgue mount when punching it. Other than letting off the throttle completely, which would probably make you decelerate faster than you want, or punching it is to shift to second. But depending on the rpm you could drop right into the power band of the next gear. Then you don't have the resource you had available while in first. It's not hard to deal with, but it's there none the less. The issue is not about the drivers ability to hold a steady throttle, rather how the engine/transmission reacts when using the entire first gear range.. If I have a steady throttle and let off a bit for engine braking, and then accelerate again it's possible to fall right into the zone to cause it. If it happens I shift. I can drive in second gear idle to redline and everything in between and not have that peculiarity. The important thing is for the OP to know it's not a defect with the car. If I feel like taking the time to do so, I may data log it to see the best condition to trigger it, and what the engine load is throughout first gear.

Last edited:
Took the CX-5 into the dealership to have them look at it this am. Everything in the CX-5 is stock (and i've only had it for 8 months or so-and had this issue from day 1). Did some testing yesterday and the issue seems to only happen when downshifting from 4th gear to 3rd and each time downshifting to first. I'm usually driving in automatic instead of the "manual mode", but i have tried in that mode too and the same thing happens. It jerks when downshifting, also every time i brake and when i just try to coast in 2nd or third gear (which happens in traffic). The car will coast normally in 4th gear and up, but lets face it, in traffic most of the time the car is in 3rd gear and lower (which is when i notice the jerking of the car the most). Hopefully i'm explaining this well enough. I do love this car, but there are times in traffic where i'm wondering if i made the right choice between the CX-5 and the Subaru Forrester. I guess i'll find out later if the dealership can fix anything as i have to imagine something is wrong - i have never driven a car that has jerked so much in slow speeds (even when i drove my dad's 2002 Ford F-150 this last weekend).

Well i was told by the dealership that there is nothing wrong. Apparently the skyactiv technology causes some subtle jerking when in stop and go because it is not sure whether or not to go up to the next gear or something along those lines. It is a bit annoying, and I'm still a bit concerned that I will have major issues right after my warranty runs up. I had the tech guy ride with me...but of course i couldn't get in true highway stop and go at the time. They probably thought i was crazy..who knows, maybe i am. My old Mazda 3 handled way better in traffic, my wife's car does...most cars seem to. I may still just go drive another CX-5 at some point...if i have the same issues there, guess it's normal. For how nice this car is though, would have thought it would handle driving in traffic slightly better than it does. Guess next time i'm car shopping i'm going to make sure i drive in heavy traffic, since my commute always seems to have some.

Took the CX-5 into the dealership to have them look at it this am. Everything in the CX-5 is stock (and i've only had it for 8 months or so-and had this issue from day 1).

You bought the car used right? So you don't know if everything is stock. It's possible the previous owner put regular ATF fluid in the transmission (CX-5 takes special Skyactiv fluid).

But, no, it shouldn't jerk in traffic.

I have heavy stop-and-go while going to NY City and in NY City EVERY day, peak hours. I know what you're saying and frankly initially it used to get me pissed off. Now, I have learned to anticipate it. When in stop-and-go and you've stopped, going, stopping time after time the car seems to lurch forward a bit when slowing down. Especially, when cruising (without gas). Say you've a gap in front and release the brake and the car moves forward. After about half a second it'll suddenly lurch a bit. I have taught myself to account for this, i.e. I assume it'll happen always. Somehow I always felt its something to do with the AWD system, etc. Who knows! Yes, its a fact that this lurching business I have never witnessed in any other car.

Watch the engine rpm. When in gear(auto) with the brake applied the engine rpm drops and the transmission clutch disengages to save energy rather that the engine pulling against the torque converter while stopped. When you release the brake the transmission torque converter engages and the rpm picks up about 200 rpm as the engine is now under load and allows for the car to accelerate quicker.

Watch the engine rpm. When in gear(auto) with the brake applied the engine rpm drops and the transmission clutch disengages to save energy rather that the engine pulling against the torque converter while stopped. When you release the brake the transmission torque converter engages and the rpm picks up about 200 rpm as the engine is now under load and allows for the car to accelerate quicker.

Actually, the AT shifts into Neutral at stops (even though the indicator still says "D"). When you release the brake and step on the throttle it instantly shifts into 1st gear before the engine accelerates.

Yes, its a fact that this lurching business I have never witnessed in any other car.

I have zero lurching (and I have AWD). If this "lurching" is common, it sounds like the 2.5L engine/transmission is not nearly as smooth and seamless as the 2.0L engine/transmission combo.

I have zero lurching (and I have AWD). If this "lurching" is common, it sounds like the 2.5L engine/transmission is not nearly as smooth and seamless as the 2.0L engine/transmission combo.

No issues of lurching on my 2.5L.

Back