All WEATHER tires (not All Season Tires)

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
My friend visited me from ON, Canada this weekend. After reading thru, I am ALL for ALL WEATHER tires (not all season) available in Canada. What I understood they are amazing.
Transport Canada acknowledges that tires displaying this symbol meet the specific snow traction performance requirements, and have been designed specifically for use in severe snow conditions.
A quick look where there are some available: https://www.kaltire.com/all-weather-tires/
The testing below is conducted on all weather tires, ensuring compliance.

Unfortunately, I don't see them here, in US.

Winter tires
Winter tire testing is innovative, reliable and sophisticated. All winter tires that are marked with the symbol undergo the ASTM F 1805 tire test on medium-packed snow in standardized testing conditions to ensure their snow traction performance meets the minimum industry requirements to be considered a winter tire. Importantly, tires that are manufactured for medium-packed snow are required by law to perform this test and may display the 3PMSF symbol on the sidewall.
http://www.rubberassociation.ca/wint...houldknow.html

Ahhh grasshopper..... you don't have to cross the border for snow tires.

Few years ago I searched for popular snow tires in Norway/Sweden and discovered Nokian and Gislaved brands.

Copied (this time) from years old forum post by a NH resident.....
"General Altimax Arctic = rebranded Gislaved Nordfrost 3. They're both Continental products"

FWIW, YMMV and any other disclaimers needed.
Knowing we were trading in the car in a year or two, ran the Artic's all year to see how they would wear.
During the 90 deg. summer they had the same noise and driving feel as in winter.
At the October trade in I estimated they would have given about another 3yr./45k miles for our driving styles.
Salesman made a comment about new snow tires staying on car.. Bet they ended up on his car. LOL

Nokian wrg3 have been around awhile, just not very common in the states. Sizes are limited and the only ones I saw that would work would be a 215 on the 17" rims. I suspect they are a decent tire but a bit of jack of all trades master of none sorta deal. Just leaning more towards winter then summer. I still think dedicated winter and summer tires are the best option

Thank you. What my friend was saying is that many have them all year around and they perform much better than all season and definitely better in winter. Yes, its tilted towards winter driving. But the critical point here is that until and unless compared with a heavy duty specialized winter tire, these tires perform equivalent to any standard winter tires.

But the critical point here is that until and unless compared with a heavy duty specialized winter tire, these tires perform equivalent to any standard winter tires.

If this is your critical point, it raises the question as to just what you are trying to say. Because almost all winter tires are specialized winter tires, a couple of all weather tires are the only exception. And all winter tires meet the winter certification standards, that doesn't make them all equivalent in snow/ice performance.

In other words, your "critical point" is meaningless.

I run Cooper Discoverer AT/W All-Weather on my Tahoe, and they are really good. Second winter, nothing to complain about. Summer performance is very adequate too. Got a real bargain at Canadian Tire, with coupon, the gift card if you spend this much, and 18mo no interest. Bought 2+2 tires to get two $50 gift cards :)

If this is your critical point, it raises the question as to just what you are trying to say. Because almost all winter tires are specialized winter tires, a couple of all weather tires are the only exception. And all winter tires meet the winter certification standards, that doesn't make them all equivalent in snow/ice performance.

In other words, your "critical point" is meaningless.

Thanks. I should have been more specific. There are winter tires and then there are tires also winter but studdable. These can snot be compared to those studded ones.

Last edited:
Thanks. I should have been more specific. There are winter tires and then there are tires also winter but studdable. These can snot be compared to those studded ones.

All Weather tires don't come close to the ice performance of the better studless winter tires. Studs are outdated due to better winter rubber compounds (but just as you can't run studs in the summer, the best winter rubber will destroy itself if run in the summer heat). Stud usage has also declined because very few people drive 80-100% of the winter on roads covered in snow/ice. Studs wear out too fast with a lot of bare pavement driving (and they cause expensive road damage). They also cause a lot of rain deaths due to the puddles that build up in the grooves that form in the roadway when it hasn't been re-paved for a long time. These puddles (right where your tires need to be to be centered in your lane) cause hydroplaning and spinout on freeways wherever studded tires were popular. Fortunately, studs have fallen out of favor except in the iciest climates.

But no, any "all weather" rubber compound that doesn't destroy itself in summer heat will not come close to the performance of winter only rubber compounds when you hit black ice.

I have a thread on here about my experience with Nokian WRG3s. After about a year, I got rid of them. I had to upsize them because they did not make the same size as the original tires that came on the 19'' GT wheels.

They did perform somewhat better than all seasons in the snowy/slushy conditions, however they were LOUD and they definitely increased braking distance. I had to get on the brakes much earlier and heavier to get the car to stop. It also took much more acceleration to get the car moving from a stop. During hot summer days they felt very squishy especially during turns.

I also got 3 punctures in them in less than a year. Although they were able to be patched every time, it was still the most I ever had in such a short time. Could this just be a random occurrence? It's possible.

I would NOT recommend them as a replacement for all seasons.

I replaced them with Nitto NT421Q all seasons and couldn't be happier.

They did perform somewhat better than all seasons in the snowy/slushy conditions, however they were LOUD and they definitely increased braking distance. I had to get on the brakes much earlier and heavier to get the car to stop. It also took much more acceleration to get the car moving from a stop. During hot summer days they felt very squishy especially during turns.

Thanks for the update!

I guess the old rule of thumb applies to All-Weather tires, if it sounds too good to be true, it's probably too good to be true.

I run Nokian Studded winter tires on the CX5, If you have lots of ice and snow over long winters, the studless tires aren't trustworthy enough on bad ice. If only a few snow ice days and mostly dry pavement, then a good set of all seasons will work. I have a F150 with a rated snow and mud for all year driving. They are also Nokians. A third vehicle, A Jeep used all season Nokians with no issues but does not do mud like the F150 does. The CX5 Toyos are my summer tires. No complaints. Just for the record, I live in Alaska so my driving needs are different.

Just for the record, I live in Alaska so my driving needs are different.

Not really that different than many places in the lower 49 except for the shorter days. Anchorage is actually pretty moderate in the winter months due to the moderating influence of the Pacific Ocean.

I hear nothing but good things about Nokian WRG3 all weather tires. The only con is the price.

More cons than simply price.

Any good dedicated winter tire will achieve considerably shorter stopping distances on snow/ice.
In summer driving you might not be happy with it's performance.

Obviously, there is the convenience factor of not needing to do seasonal changes (you still need to rotate them) But make no mistake - it is a big compromise vs. dedicated summer/winter tires.

I hear nothing but good things about Nokian WRG3 all weather tires. The only con is the price.

Weren't one of the Nokian's banned in some form of racing (ice/snow/ralley) in some classes, due to their absurd performance taking away from the spirit of the game, as it were?

Weren't one of the Nokian's banned in some form of racing (ice/snow/ralley) in some classes, due to their absurd performance taking away from the spirit of the game, as it were?

The Nokian Hakkapeliitta were banned in some European winter rallies because they enabled the cars to drive faster then the organizers wanted. This news was the first I heard of them and convinced me to buy them. I have been using them for many years. BTW the price varies a lot. People mark them up a lot because the tire is well known and they can get a high price. I asked my local garage to get them for me. He had never heard of them, but was able to get them from his regular wholesaler and he marks them up the same dollar amount as the coopers he sells. Four 17 in. mounted balanced, new valve stems, and on the car $667

Last edited:

You can be sure any tire banned from ice/snow racing due to their absurd level of performance was not an all-weather tire (which is the subject of this thread)!

All weather tires have lower levels of performance on snow/ice vs. dedicated winter radials. Most winter rally racing is done using studs anyway and all-weather tires don't accept studs..

Although a snow tire saves the wear of the main tire, an advantage when you intend to sell the car, an all season tire for snow saves you the cost of having 2 or more tire types instead of one. Tire performance depends on a number of factors such as the specific make, the terrain, your driving habits and so on. With an all season tire, you want the tire to assure all season traction and safety esp when cornering.
My best all season snow tire that has worked out seems to be Altimax RT. It gives superb performance, balance and maneuverability. The best all weather tires for snow and ice has perfect traction in snow and ice and you will also love it the hot season. It also features noise suppression technology as well as Smart Reacting Contour Technology to sustain the tires contact with the road for increased stability.

Back