Down sizing wheels question

YelPro03

:
2015 Mazda 3s Touring
My 2015 3s came with 18" wheels. I'm thinking of getting a winter set of tires/wheels and was wondering how low I can down size the wheels to. I'm pretty sure 17" will clear the brake calipers but will 16" work also? I know the 3i comes with 16". Do both models use the same brake components? If so then I think I can get away with 16". I don't need the winter set to look flashy, just functional.

Check with Tirerack. They will know. Keep in mind that going down to 16s will destroy your steering response. We used to call those types of tires, "Balloon tires". The somewhat good news is that you'll be riding on pillows compared to the 18s' ride.

I have 16" rims on my Mazda3 Sport for winter tires, the rubber I have on them is 205/60/R16 Nokian Hakkapelita 8 Studded.

Check with Tirerack. They will know. Keep in mind that going down to 16s will destroy your steering response. We used to call those types of tires, "Balloon tires". The somewhat good news is that you'll be riding on pillows compared to the 18s' ride.
I don't care too much about the steering response when I'm knee deep in powder. I'll save my spirited driving for the other 3 seasons out of the year when I don't have winter tires on the car.

What's the stock wheel size that came with your car?

205/60/R16 Yokohamas. I don't believe that the the different models have different brake components, but I would double check that with your dealership or a reputable tire shop.

I drove in CT for 11 years. Yes, there are snow storms at times but if you look at the number of heavy snow days compared to dry or rainy days, the percentage is very small. It's kinda like paying extra money for a convertible when you live in Seattle. 17 inch wheels with 50 series tires are a much better compromise. My MX6 GT's OEM tires were 195/60s - horrible handling tires to anybody under 70 years of age.

I drove in CT for 11 years. Yes, there are snow storms at times but if you look at the number of heavy snow days compared to dry or rainy days, the percentage is very small. It's kinda like paying extra money for a convertible when you live in Seattle. 17 inch wheels with 50 series tires are a much better compromise. My MX6 GT's OEM tires were 195/60s - horrible handling tires to anybody under 70 years of age.
I see what you're saying which is why I'm debating on whether or not I should even bother getting a set of winter tires/rims. I've had a set on my Accord for many years before I sold it to get my Mazda and you're right, most of the time during the winter or snow season when I have them on the streets weren't snow and/or ice covered but when they were they're worth their weight in gold. I see it as buying car insurance. You pay for it and hope you never have to use it but if and when you do, you're glad you have it. My commute each day is 50 miles each way so when I get stuck I'm usually pretty far from home. I also have a winter set for my other car which has save me at least 2 times. I know most of the time I won't need it but it's those times when I know I will that I'm concerned with. Besides, I only have them on for 3 or 4 months out of the year anyway. I usually put them on either near the end of November or the first snowfall and take them off around the beginning of March. But my inquiry here isn't whether or not I should get it but what size. I want to go as small a rim as I can to get as much sidewall as I can because our potholes are huge, deep, and unforgiving. Again, with my winter set I don't care about performance or feel. I only care about traction and safety.

Back when I lived in CT, I had cars with tall side walls, as well. I agree that the pot holes are often large enough to damage low-profile tire-mounted aluminum wheels. I think my first car's wheels (on a 74 RX4 Coupe) were 13-inchers (steel) with at least 70-series tires. Pot holes never got the best of those wheels (for obvious reasons).
I guess I'm a bit spoiled now. My panic attacks surface when an unexpected rain comes and gets my 3's or MX5's car cover wet.....

I'm in upstate NY and trying to figure out the same thing for my 2016 s grand touring. Tire Rack does give a 16" as an alternative. I just wish I could find anything that says the size of the brakes on the 2.0L is the same as the size on the 2.5L - I just can't find anything that says it isn't.

I had a Mazdaspeed 6 with the exact same size tires as my 3 for 6.5 years and it sucked in the snow. Every year, I'd look at snow tires, and they were more expensive than regular tires and I could not downsize. And every time it snowed while I was at work, I regretted my vehicle decisions. I was in stop and go traffic on a ramp which was basically unplowed (the plow was stuck in traffic on the bridge ahead of me, snow coming down faster than they could keep up with) and the car in front of me would move, my tires would spin, the front end would slide to the right, AWD would finally kick in, I'd move 8', and traffic would stop again. I hate to think of that with FWD.

When I bought this car, I set aside money to buy snow tires and rims from the beginning. But my tire guys are saying I might want to get tires to fit the rims I have because of the TPMS. They warn me that aftermarket may not work, and OEM may be $100 per wheel. Makes me miss my 99 Mercury Cougar...that was a champ in the snow on 16" all seasons.

... But my tire guys are saying I might want to get tires to fit the rims I have because of the TPMS. They warn me that aftermarket may not work, and OEM may be $100 per wheel. Makes me miss my 99 Mercury Cougar...that was a champ in the snow on 16" all seasons.

Your TPMS is done by your ABS Sensor, and NOT by a sensor in your tire or wheel, so you can mount any correct wheel and tire and maintain your TPMS.

Fabulous! I could kiss you.

(crazy)

LOL! The secret Mazda salute will have to do!

Enjoy your car, and if / when you do downsize, don't forget to share it here so we can learn and enjoy also...

(crazy)

LOL! The secret Mazda salute will have to do!

Enjoy your car, and if / when you do downsize, don't forget to share it here so we can learn and enjoy also...

I've ordered Continental WinterContact SI's and 16" rims - Focal F04's - from Tire Rack. I'm picking them up in Windsor, CT next week, as I found out they're around the corner from my grandparents old house and I'll be in town anyhow. Pictures forthcoming.

I've ordered Continental WinterContact SI's and 16" rims - Focal F04's - from Tire Rack. I'm picking them up in Windsor, CT next week, as I found out they're around the corner from my grandparents old house and I'll be in town anyhow. Pictures forthcoming.
Awesome. Please let us know how they fit and if you don't mind taking some pictures. I'm still looking to get a set for my 3s.

If Tirerack says that you can downsize, then I would believe them. Almost definitely, the brakes are the same. One way to verify is to go to a website like rockauto.com and compare part numbers for. say, calipers between a 2.0 and 2.5 Mazda3. As a matter of fact, I just did, and the calipers for the 2.0 have the same part numbers as the 2.5.

If Tirerack says that you can downsize, then I would believe them. Almost definitely, the brakes are the same. One way to verify is to go to a website like rockauto.com and compare part numbers for. say, calipers between a 2.0 and 2.5 Mazda3. As a matter of fact, I just did, and the calipers for the 2.0 have the same part numbers as the 2.5.
Yes, I utilize this method also, looking at the ROTOR Part #'s...
:p

Awesome. Please let us know how they fit and if you don't mind taking some pictures. I'm still looking to get a set for my 3s.

Before and after. They were put on yesterday afternoon. So far, the only thing I've noticed is the quiet.

Attachments

• IMAG1167.jpg
    IMAG1167.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 262
  • IMAG1169.jpg
    IMAG1169.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 249
Back