AutoGuide's 1st. LEMON list.... Mazda way down but not that bad!

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
I started a thread on resale value and was doing some R&D. Came across this survey. Now, AutoGuide is actually well respected and here many times it's cited too. Now, what I understood is how many LEMONS does a car manufacturer produce, maybe consequent to bad design, faulty manufacturing, transport - but it is what it is.

Full report: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...ops-in-autoguide-s-1st-annual-lemon-list.html

Actual results:
lemonlist31.jpeg

I dunno. Honda made the Odyssey, and a few other screw-ups. BMW has plenty of flaws. Cadillac is just re-branded Chevrolet...Acura is re-branded Honda. I'm not really sure I agree with the list at all.

I am curious to see the 5 year average of Mazda once all non-Skyactiv models are purged from the surveys. This will be a few years out though.

I bought my 2016 CX-5 GT (with both tech packages) in December as a direct result of a lemon (2014 Jeep Wrangler). For a few months, while going through the legal process (ultimately settling with Fiat Chrysler), I had lots of time to research what I'd buy next. I pretty quickly settled on a compact SUV, narrowed it down to the Hyundai Tuscon and CX-5, and ultimately chose the CX-5 because Mazda has had such good reliability. My wife has a mini Cooper, so the need to have something fun-to-drive also made a big difference. Hyundai's 10 year/100,000 warranty was very enticing for someone coming from a lemon. So far I'm completely happy with my decision, and this is pretty much the favorite vehicle I've ever owned.

jasonl99: Congrats & enjoy... I'd be picking one up with i-ACTIVESENSE as well if I was buying one today

I am curious to see the 5 year average of Mazda once all non-Skyactiv models are purged from the surveys. This will be a few years out though.

Very good point. I bought the first model year CX-5 with no reliability concerns due to it's modernized manufacturing processes and engineering. Historically Mazda was known as a maker with rather average reliability, coming in below Toyota and Honda but they appear to have left that behind them.

I believe Mazda took a bum rap when they made the RX8 with Ford the car as plagued with problems and owner confidence fell. But the went back to Japan reworked the brand and ar making a come back. (dance)(dance)

Might want to adjust the ratio and see how fairly each of those stack up. Remember that Mazda produces a very low volume of cars.

This chart is number of vehicles produced per reported lemon, so the low volume is already accounted for.

True, and, according to that data, if you buy a Cadillac, your chances of receiving a lemon is more than 5 times higher vs. buying a Mazda! And a Subaru is twice as likely to be a lemon.

True, and, according to that data, if you buy a Cadillac, your chances of receiving a lemon is more than 5 times higher vs. buying a Mazda! And a Subaru is twice as likely to be a lemon.

Which is why I take this chart with a grain of salt. It's total BS.

For the sake of clarity, this study is intended to be a report of consumer sentiment, rather than an outright list of actual lemons. The information gathered is provided by users in conversations with other members across the AutoGuide Group’s 500-plus forums. Using proprietary software designed to hone in on keywords and sentiment, the data is collected and then further sorted to determine legitimate complaints.

I don't want to get all fanboy here, but this should all be taken with an enormous grain of salt. Proprietary software, no detailed information on methodology. This is terrible non-journalism. It could be complete and total BS. A script that browses forums and seeks out keywords? Good lord. At least they had the sense to normalize the data somewhat, even if that data is BS.

Last edited:
Back