2.5L Oil level fluctuation

IIRC from other threads Mazda oil is made by Idemitsu so might be able to find the moly version in Canada that route.

This oil also has high moly content and I would likely obtain if I couldn't get Mazda OEM.

http://www.eneos.us/products/eneos-fully-synthetic-motor-oil/eneos-0w-20/

eneos-0w20-136x3001.jpg

"In addition to its high-performance hydrorefined base oils and various additives, ENEOS 0W-20 is also blended with organic molybdenum friction reducers. As a result, the oil minimizes friction and enables superb fuel economy."

I see ENEOS just released their 0W-16

"ENEOS 0W-16 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil is formulated with 100% synthetic base oils and our unique additive technology. ENEOS 0W-16 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil is next generation motor oil with ultimate low viscosity, which can provide a maximum of 2% fuel savings over 0W-20 oils.*1 ENEOS 0W-16 provides exceptional engine protection thanks to its superior anti-wear performance and oil film retention capacity delivered by our proprietary technology.

Japanese auto makers have been using 0W-16 for their factory fills and service fills in Japan. JX Group manufactures and supplies 0W-16 oils officially certified by Japanese auto makers to both their factories and dealerships. ENEOS 0W-16 is highly acclaimed by customers."

I'm glad i found this post i have the same problem on my '15 Mazda 3 2.5. I checked the oil last month and it was right on the full line this past weekend i decided to check it again and the oil level has risen to a little over 1/4" above the full line. I called mazda and explained my concern about this and they told me as long as it wasn't up by the twist it is fine. To me that doesn't seem correct as i don't want to risk the level getting so high that the crank comes into contact with the oil and turns it into froth. I plan on draining some oil out of it tonight when i get home i tried to pump some out of the dipstick hole and have had no luck "those who have tried know what i mean" lol. I plan on sending the sample into blackstone for analysis i only have 900 miles on my oil but the concern with dilution makes me wonder if i shouldn't just change it. It was very cold here last week in Northern Il which i'm sure contributed to the fuel dilution Anyways I'm glad i'm not the only one who has had this issue.

I'm glad i found this post i have the same problem on my '15 Mazda 3 2.5. I checked the oil last month and it was right on the full line this past weekend i decided to check it again and the oil level has risen to a little over 1/4" above the full line. I called mazda and explained my concern about this and they told me as long as it wasn't up by the twist it is fine. To me that doesn't seem correct as i don't want to risk the level getting so high that the crank comes into contact with the oil and turns it into froth. I plan on draining some oil out of it tonight when i get home i tried to pump some out of the dipstick hole and have had no luck "those who have tried know what i mean" lol. I plan on sending the sample into blackstone for analysis i only have 900 miles on my oil but the concern with dilution makes me wonder if i shouldn't just change it. It was very cold here last week in Northern Il which i'm sure contributed to the fuel dilution Anyways I'm glad i'm not the only one who has had this issue.

Instead of draining the oil why not take a nice long drive and flog that thing a bit to get the engine temps up? Then see where your oil level is.

Last edited:

I know what you mean. It has been very cold here in Brandon, Manitoba, Canada lately. After my wife drives to work and home for lunch and back to work and then back home at supper, I then have to take it out on the highway and drive 60 km in 5 gear in order to burn off the fuel in the oil from the days short drives. I used to take a little oil out as it rose, but then you don't know how diluted with fuel it could become. I would put a cover on the front as I have and either drive it on the highway, or drain the oil and filter when it rises too high. I never let my oil get up to the twist. Maybe I could, but that seems like a lot of fuel in the oil. Best of luck. There are many of us out there that have this problem, and no solutions from Mazda. One Mazda dealership told me that I need to change my driving habits. That is not a great answer to my problem.

Just checked mine, and my oil level is .25+ above full. Smells like gas. I had last oil change close to 1k ago. My driving habits do require short trips. The service manager discussed driving habits with me and how it pertains to the fuel system and carbon build up. He did recommend BG fuel system cleaner which I had at 30k with my transmission drain and fill. My engine certainly feels great, and have no symptoms to cause concern. This, however, does concern me in terms of long term durability, and it is not comforting to know mazda has told some of y'all to "drive it harder", or whatever their exact recommendation was in regards to driving habits.

I'm not a DIY'er, and I don't know exactly what gas in the oil means in terms of durability. I do intend to keep this car at least 100k, as I did purchase extended warranty based on the fact skyactiv is so new and unproven. The way my car feels now, I would first knock on a lot of wood, then say I feel like this engine will give me little to no serious problems well into the 100k mark, but I don't know squat about this engine, or what gas in my oil really means. I have a feeling my dealer will tell me similar things to what some of y'all were told, and I don't believe mazda would want to act like this is a big issue considering the cx5 accounts for so much of their sales.

If y'all were intending to keep this car as long as possible, and your driving habits include a lot of short trips, as well as cold winter startups, do you think it would be wise to get rid of the car before you might have planned? To be honest, I wasn't happy with the carbon deposits talk, but understand this is the nature of direct injection, now if the gas in the engine oil is going to be something else that might cost me some maintenance money down the road, that's another strike against this car...which I really love, and will continue to drive until I feel like it's a problem, or someone with more knowledge than me advises me it might be wise to switch to a more proven and durable car...like back to Toyota where I came from, and ditched I wanted something new, and what I found was a very rewarding and fun to drive mazda cx5. Glad I did, but I am learning, just like anything, there are pros and cons to my decision. One I knew going in was resale value. I did not necessarily know maintenance costs would be more, but not a deal breaker; I figured well that's one cost to having a more fun to drive, responsive new vehicle like the cx5.

Anyway, excuse the rambling... I'll see what my service guy says, he has been up front with me and informative. I just want to make good financial decisions about this car, and get out and into something more proven and reliable for short trip city driving if that would be more wise.

I also hit the highways, too. Every other weekend at least, 60 miles+ at 80mph. Maybe a longer 3-4 hr trip every couple-few months. So, it's not like my car is exclusively a short city car.

Ask yourself what you're going to replace it with, and you'll see that this problem is present in every modern vehicle with DI. Keep driving it, take it on longer trips and do not over - extend oil change intervals.

Is the Toyota 2g-fre v6 with sequential injection "modern"? Because, as a total novice doing research, that thing sounds about as good as it gets around this price point, or even beyond.

I understand mazda issued a fix for 2.2 diesels because of oil dilution. Is that correct? Is it reasonable to think they have fixed 2.5 oil dilution in the recent 2016 or 17 models, or at least are working on something for the 2.5?

I understand mazda issued a fix for 2.2 diesels because of oil dilution. Is that correct? Is it reasonable to think they have fixed 2.5 oil dilution in the recent 2016 or 17 models, or at least are working on something for the 2.5?

Although this's an old thread, but I still have doubts that Mazda has truely fixed oil dilution issue on its SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel by using newer ECU software and adding a higher "X" mark on oil level dipstick:

Engine Oil Rise

I understand I was one of the first to receive the ECU update and dipstick B back towards the end of January. This resulted in minor slowing of the oil level rise but still meant I'd reach the original X mark level in around 3,000 to 3,700 miles.
So the 'fix hadn't worked for me.

For those of you for whom the fixed has truly worked then I'm pleased for you. For those others, my refund and return of vehicle gives me the peace of mind that I will never, ever have to deal with the atrocious levels of customer service at MazdaUK again.

And oil raising issue on Mazda's SA-D 2.2L diesel is different from SkyActiv-G gasoline engines. It's mainly caused by Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) systems Regeneration which can't be fully completed due to short trips.

I'd still try to use high moly oil at least it should reduce the LSPI greatly hence may decrease the oil dilution on our SA-G gasoline engines.

Cold weather and short trips have been detrimental to gas engines for years. That's why this kind of driving puts cars on the severe service schedule. DI gas engines just add a new twist to the problem.

Last edited:
Cold weather and short trips have been detrimental to gas engines for years. That's why this kind of driving puts cars on the severe service schedule. DI engines just add a new twist to the problem.
This is ture. But everything is comparative. I personally have never had this oil dilution issue even with many short trips in all vehicles I've owned. It seems the oil raising issue from these members in this thread didn't have issues with other vehicles in similar driving conditions. Friends with different diesels in other regions, or from VW TDI, don't seem to have too much oil dilution issue either.

I think by adding a higher "X" mark on oil level dipstick and changing the oil when the oil level raised to "X" mark is simply a joke! I haven't heard any other diesels are doing this way for OCI! (boom08)

The Mazda diesel fix was much more than changing the dipstick. It involved ecu tuning plus some mechanical change...I don't remember exactly the mechanical change, there are lots of articles about it...

I'm totally ignorant on this stuff, just trying to soak up/read what I can, and tbh, it's fascinating to me, and I never was interested/concerned with how my car worked before I got this Mazda. It's been a very fun and rewarding experience. I was a Toyota guy before this, and they are boring, but I now realize why they hold their value so well.

Pros/cons....like anything else.

Are the majority of cx5's in the world diesel? I understand diesel have their own problems anyway in the cold, so maybe it was more important for Mazda to address the diesel. And again, I don't understand the mechanical side, so ignorant ol me feels like there's "something" you could do to help prevent oil dilution caused by short trips and cold startups with that 2.5 - ecu tuning, some mechanical thingy, etc. I don't know, just thinking out loud...

The constant thing I read is - well, you need to drive your car longer. Some people have recommended a long trip a week, or a month. Idk. I've owned mine exactly 2.5 years (30months) and put 40,250 miles on it. It gets out and stretches it's legs at least once a month, closer to 10-14 days. Been on long 9hr trips couple of times...

And performed great, so I'll just shutup and enjoy this baby while I continue to learn things I don't know :)

I appreciate this forum and all the contributors. Been a good resource for me while I'm learning.

Although this's an old thread, but I still have doubts that Mazda has truely fixed oil dilution issue on its SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel by using newer ECU software and adding a higher "X" mark on oil level dipstick:

Engine Oil Rise

And oil raising issue on Mazda's SA-D 2.2L diesel is different from SkyActiv-G gasoline engines. It's mainly caused by Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) systems Regeneration which can't be fully completed due to short trips.

I'd still try to use high moly oil at least it should reduce the LSPI greatly hence may decrease the oil dilution on our SA-G gasoline engines.

Thanks for the link. Oh boy...lol, wish I didn't read some of that.

Diesel is coming to US in 2018, correct? Have they fixed this issue?!

Mazda has done a great marketing job. I'll give them that.

Back to worrying/reading...

Is the Toyota 2g-fre v6 with sequential injection "modern"? Because, as a total novice doing research, that thing sounds about as good as it gets around this price point, or even beyond.
Sorry, what engine are you referring to? And in what regard?

Thanks for the link. Oh boy...lol, wish I didn't read some of that.

Diesel is coming to US in 2018, correct? Have they fixed this issue?!

Mazda has done a great marketing job. I'll give them that.

Back to worrying/reading...

I'm on my second CX5 diesel. First was a 2013 GT and new one is a Akera 2016. My brother was the first in the family to have a CX5 diesel, his, which he still has, is a GT with tech pack, 2012.

My brother had the recall for the diesel issue. He had seen some oil level rise and initially they changed the oil FOC while Mazda worked on a solution. Once he had the update work done, he hasn't had any issue whatsoever since.

On my first CX5 diesel GT 2013, I never had any sign at all of oil level increasing. This was a company car that did about 32,000kms per year. With daily 70km round trip to and from work, half of which was at freeway 80km/hr speeds. At work there ended up being quite a few of these cars in the fleet and the service depot did all regular servicing in-house. I asked them if they'd seen any issues - none reported. My car was sold at 90,000km and was still going strong.

Also seen none on my new car, which is just 6 months old.

⋯ On my first CX5 diesel GT 2013, I never had any sign at all of oil level increasing. This was a company car that did about 32,000kms per year. With daily 70km round trip to and from work, half of which was at freeway 80km/hr speeds. At work there ended up being quite a few of these cars in the fleet and the service depot did all regular servicing in-house. I asked them if they'd seen any issues - none reported. My car was sold at 90,000km and was still going strong.
You have no oil raising issue on your diesel CX-5 because you drive a lot at constant highway speed ⋯ :)

Sorry, what engine are you referring to? And in what regard?

The Toyota v6....the one they've had for ages now, I guess that doesn't fit your definition of "modern" as it's been used for a while now. You stayed all modern engines have oil dilution issues, and asked what I would replace the skyactiv with. I chose the toyo v6 based on it's proven reliability.

Like I said, I love this car. I didn't know driving an automatic commuter car could be so fun and engaging, tbh. I just want to make sure I'm staying ahead of any potential issues that could lead to costly repairs....as I'm not knowledgable about cars. I think the fact that it is so fun and responsive is why it might not be as durable and carefree as a Toyota which I ultimate did not choose to stick with because I test drove the Mazda and fell in love.

Re: My 2013 Mazda CX5 gas engine oil rising issue - This past week my wife has been driving the daily short trips with the vehicle in manual mode. She keeps the revs up and has not been shifting it into 6th gear. This along with the cover I put on the front seems to help. The oil seems to only be rising slightly each day during these cold days here in the great white north. For others with the same issue as I have, maybe give this a try.

Back