1994 Protege Gear Oil - the case of the missing fill plug

kbc

:
1994 Mazda Protege
I just changed the front left axel on my 1994 Protege (240k miles and still going strong). I lost a significant amount of gear oil when I removed the old axel, one to two quarts by my estimation. I located the gear oil drain plug on the bottom of the transmission easily, but cannot find the fill plug. At first I thought I was just blind, then dumb, now I think I may be both, but I still can't find the fill plug...Now it's just getting frustrating because it has to be here somewhere...

Any ideas?

I'm posting a couple of pictures to help validate that I'm not completely incompetent.
IMG_2847.JPGIMG_2849.JPG

I just did this a few months back. If your '94 Protege is a manual, the transaxle is refilled by following the speedometer cable to the transaxle and removing the speedometer sensor itself. You will see a Min & Max level indicator on the sensor/gear shaft. A long funnel will be required to add fluid.

Update 02FEB2016:

I found a depiction of the transaxle/transmission that shows the speedometer sensor you need to remove to add fluid. Remove the retaining screw (99796-0616) and pull up on the assembly to access the filler hole.

EB72651.jpg

BTW, anyone know why this is in the MSP-Wheels-Tires-Brakes-&-Suspension section?

Last edited:
Back